• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Stanford Defensive players do not translate well to the NFL.

See that isn't what you posted. That statement is fine because you are leaving it open to mean any player not just highly drafted players that don't exist.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See that isn't what you posted. That statement is fine because you are leaving it open to mean any player not just highly drafted players that don't exist.
Relax.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was pointing out the error in your logic that simply because highly drafted Stanford defensive players don't pan out because such a player hasn't existed until now so it is impossible for them to have not panned out.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pointing out the error in your logic that simply because highly drafted Stanford defensive players don't pan out because such a player hasn't existed until now so it is impossible for them to have not panned out.
Take a breath.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a breath.

Just pointing out false logic, that doesn't mean Solomon Thomas will pan out either but from a draft slot comparison he doesn't have anyone to compare him to not under the current Stanford regime anyway.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i certainly hope so.

If i could pick a player to be the best, go Beathard! haaa
Stretching it a little, but that would be nice.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just pointing out false logic, that doesn't mean Solomon Thomas will pan out either but from a draft slot comparison he doesn't have anyone to compare him to not under the current Stanford regime anyway.
The fact remains; Stanford defensive players, with the exception of one, don't pan out in the NFL. The system they run and the skill set of the type of player they recruit as a result, don't translate well to the NFL game. I would expect the same result with Thomas.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I understand that he says it. And I don't blame him for saying it.

But I don't believe it for a second.

and that is fine.

This was an odd draft year because there were no "can't miss prospects" except Garrett. There weren't even any QB's or LT's worth a top 5?

So yes, i can believe these two were the next best.......on the 49ers board obviously. :-)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stretching it a little, but that would be nice.

haa, stretching a lot.

i believe that Shannahan sees some good things, but it'll take time for Beathard to get good enough. In 2 or 3 years, a LOT will change at the QB spot, so he might not get the time.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact remains; Stanford defensive players, with the exception of one, don't pan out in the NFL. The system they run and the skill set of the type of player they recruit as a result, don't translate well to the NFL game. I would expect the same result with Thomas.

That's fine I'm not sure Thomas will be what people hope he is but I'll take a good player that helps the team in the very least.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's fine I'm not sure Thomas will be what people hope he is but I'll take a good player that helps the team in the very least.

yep, but this can be applied to almost anyone?

if we had taken someone other than Thomas, same 'no guarantee' applies. Whether the prospect is from Alabama, Ohio St, wherever, no one is sure that player will be what fans hope for.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that is fine.

This was an odd draft year because there were no "can't miss prospects" except Garrett. There weren't even any QB's or LT's worth a top 5?

So yes, i can believe these two were the next best.......on the 49ers board obviously. :-)
I still have a hard time believing it, but the King article pretty much confirms that the Niners had their eyes on 3 players (Garrett, Thomas and Foster). Of course, they had plans to trade down again if the Bears took Thomas because they were aware of Fosters questionable value. But the idea has been independently verified.

Color me corrected.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I'm so happy they grabbed Foster. He's going to be the pick of this draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's why I'm so happy they grabbed Foster. He's going to be the pick of this draft.

and no problem at all, if it pans out this way.

IMO Thomas plays a position which has more impact than MLB. So IMO i would rather HE be the 'pick of the draft'. He is a good run defender but more importantly, can improve our inside pressure. Today's NFL have and will continue to have, top pocket passers. Unless you can disrupt them, the quick release guys like Brady, will pick you apart. We will eventually add a Leo, but inside pressure is huge.

ok i know Beathard plays an even more important position, but lets be reasonable here. :-)

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree Foster was a steal and I think he very well could end up the better player of the two but I don't think Thomas is a wasted pick like you do. None of the Stanford players taken in the last ten years have had ability Thomas does. Also for what ever it's worth coming out of High School according to ESPN Thomas was rated as a 4 Star 87 # 4 at his position #25 overall, Rivals ranked him as a 4 star #3 at his position and #37 overall, Scout ranked him as a 5 star #4 at his position #20 overall and 247sports ranked him as a 5 star #2 at his position #25 overall. So out of high school he was an elite talent probably the best Stanford has ever recruited I would guess. He was viewed as an elite talent coming into the draft so I guess I feel a little more hopeful about him than you do.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and no problem at all, if it pans out this way.

IMO Thomas plays a position which has more impact than MLB. So IMO i would rather HE be the 'pick of the draft'. He is a good run defender but more importantly, can improve our inside pressure. Today's NFL have and will continue to have, top pocket passers. Unless you can disrupt them, the quick release guys like Brady, will pick you apart. We will eventually add a Leo, but inside pressure is huge.

ok i know Beathard plays an even more important position, but lets be reasonable here. :-)
Boy, at 270 lbs I don't think so.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Boy, at 270 lbs I don't think so.

Not a problem if you're concerned, i wish he was 290 myself. :-)

That said, he performed on the field and his tape must've proved he could do it, and do it consistently. We'll see how he does even at 273? If he is getting 'stoned' at the LOS, then your concern will be legit.

As long as we fans put it in rookie perspective, and not expect miracles right off the bat. Plus realize D-linemen aren't normally the ones with sacks, but we do want pressure.