• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Many draft experts are saying the 49ers had the best draft of all 32 teams,

don't know about best, but its certainly good. IMO it is VERY good when you factor in the future picks, don't know about Bibbs?

note however, we couldn't fill the two most important spots..QB and Leo. Nothing they could've done about it, these spots just weren't there for us. Not worried about us getting a QB next season, i tend to think we'll get Cousins, or at least one of the top QBs. We would also draft a Leo including a trade up as necessary.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beathard? Jeez, even Hawkeye fans don't like him.

its one of those name recognition things, we read about Peterman and naturally rate him higher. We hadn't heard of Beathard so we rate him low. Whatever Shannahan sees, he sees a chance, so fine with me. I expect Beathard to meet his draft slot at minimum, which is a capable back-up in two years.

Had they taken the SAME players but Beathard was Round 6, would we be ok? Yes we would think a world of difference.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He plays defense and went to Stanford. Their defensive system is not suited to the pro game and their high drafted players are almost always busts in the NFL.

It looks like you said high drafted players to me. Also the only players to go that high were QB's from Stanford Plunkett, Elway, and Luck.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There can be no doubt that Shanahan has a say in that pick...I'm sure he has input in every pick. It was pretty interesting to see Peterman drop somewhere to the 5th round, but as I said....Shanahan sees something, so lets see where he goes from here. Interesting they also brought along his TE in today's rounds.

Today's version of Montana-to-Rice.

I think he has more than a say in the pick for a QB compared to other positions. Someone at NN posted a story about the 49er draft and claimed that the QB the 49ers drafted was the one Shanahan wanted before the drafted started. Going to check out the story later.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he has more than a say in the pick for a QB compared to other positions. Someone at NN posted a story about the 49er draft and claimed that the QB the 49ers drafted was the one Shanahan wanted before the drafted started. Going to check out the story later.

I understand the Bears doing the "go get your guy" trade, so Beathard is similar. Shannahan liked Beathard and so what Lynch had him as a 4th rounder. The ammo was there and we didn't give up much, so "go get your guy".

Hard to believe Shannahan only wanted Beathard?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone REALLY believe the Niners got their #2 and #3 guy?

That sounds nice as he says it, but that is a real reach to take at face value.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone REALLY believe the Niners got their #2 and #3 guy?

That sounds nice as he says it, but that is a real reach to take at face value.

Check that article above out. Lynch says that Garrett, Foster, and Thomas were the top 3 on their board.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the Bears doing the "go get your guy" trade, so Beathard is similar. Shannahan liked Beathard and so what Lynch had him as a 4th rounder. The ammo was there and we didn't give up much, so "go get your guy".

Hard to believe Shannahan only wanted Beathard?

Yes, I it is hard to believe he only wanted him. Maybe more like he only wanted him based on the QBs they thought would be left in the later rounds. I was surprised at the QBs that went in the 1st round.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that he says it. And I don't blame him for saying it.

But I don't believe it for a second.

Not completely surprised. Thomas was linked to the 49ers prior to the draft and Foster fell far from where he was initially projected to go in the draft so they were able to trade up to draft him

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like you said high drafted players to me. Also the only players to go that high were QB's from Stanford Plunkett, Elway, and Luck.
Prior to Thomas this year, the most highly drafted Stanford defensive players:

2015, 2.32, Jordan Richards, DB Pats
2014, 2.15, Trent Murphy LB Skins
2002, 2.13, Tank Williams, DB Titans
2001, 2.26, Willie Howard, DT Vikings

There literally has not been a stanford defender drafted in rd 1 since 1993, DB Darrien Gordon, 22nd overall.

aircobra

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that he says it. And I don't blame him for saying it.

But I don't believe it for a second.

Why? Thomas was linked to the Niners for quite awhile. Garrett was clearly the best player in the draft this year. And if you take away the injury and off the field concerns, Foster would have easily been a Top 5 pick. It isn't unreasonable to think those 3 were at the top of the Niners draft board.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Thomas was linked to the Niners for quite awhile. Garrett was clearly the best player in the draft this year. And if you take away the injury and off the field concerns, Foster would have easily been a Top 5 pick. It isn't unreasonable to think those 3 were at the top of the Niners draft board.
No question Garrett was their #1. If he was available at 2, they don't make that trade. And I believe that Thomas was their #2. General consensus, I think, had Thomas or Adams at overall #2 on the board, you just don't draft S at #2.

But if the Niners had #2 and #3, and no trades were allowed, you think they take Thomas and Froster (no typo)? If you are able to use Preperation H on your draft picks and remove their warts, than maybe. But that isn't the way it works. Foster's warts are part of the package. Some teams had apparently removed Foster from their board entirely due to the shoulder.

I am not complaining about the pick. I LOVE the pick, and think the Niners "won" the draft. I just think the whole "two of our top 3 guys" bs is just that. BS.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know about best, but its certainly good. IMO it is VERY good when you factor in the future picks, don't know about Bibbs?

note however, we couldn't fill the two most important spots..QB and Leo. Nothing they could've done about it, these spots just weren't there for us. Not worried about us getting a QB next season, i tend to think we'll get Cousins, or at least one of the top QBs. We would also draft a Leo including a trade up as necessary.
Foster will be the best player to come out of this year's draft. You heard it here first.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Stanford Defensive players do not translate well to the NFL.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to Thomas this year, the most highly drafted Stanford defensive players:

2015, 2.32, Jordan Richards, DB Pats
2014, 2.15, Trent Murphy LB Skins
2002, 2.13, Tank Williams, DB Titans
2001, 2.26, Willie Howard, DT Vikings

There literally has not been a stanford defender drafted in rd 1 since 1993, DB Darrien Gordon, 22nd overall.

That was kind of my point when the person posted that all highly drafted Stanford defenders aren't any good. How can that be true when they haven't been drafted highly?