• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see him getting moved inside on passing downs to change things up much like Seattle does with Bennett. I'm not as down on the pick as some simply because he's from Stanford.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers will not be running a pure 4-3. They are modeling their defense after Seattle although the new DC says there will be some differences. They might run a base 4-3 but sometimes it will be hybrid 3-4. I don't know care to know the details, but I think this group, unlike Baalke, have an idea on how to draft people to fit the scheme they will be installing. Is not a lock that Lynch will be the LEO. The coaching staff is considering Armstead at that position also.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In a 4-3, outside pressure comes from the DEs.

Then let me change "inside" to mean "defensive linemen". This is why Thomas could prove huge, he could provide the pressure we need, no matter how you want to describe it.

For obvious passing downs, he can be moved anywhere along the line. Wouldn't move him around too much (on obvious passing downs), but sometimes we need to mix it up, depending on the opponents weakness.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers will not be running a pure 4-3. They are modeling their defense after Seattle although the new DC says there will be some differences. They might run a base 4-3 but sometimes it will be hybrid 3-4. I don't know care to know the details, but I think this group, unlike Baalke, have an idea on how to draft people to fit the scheme they will be installing. Is not a lock that Lynch will be the LEO. The coaching staff is considering Armstead at that position also.

This is the time to start experimenting, seeing which combinations might work? Realistically, Armstead won't fill the Leo consistently, but MAYBE against certain opponents, in certain situations? Same as if they move Thomas to Leo, MAYBE against certain opponents, in certain situations?

IF Carradine sticks thru this off-season, he should get a look at Leo too.

We don't have a Leo really, so maybe its by Committee?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the time to start experimenting, seeing which combinations might work? Realistically, Armstead won't fill the Leo consistently, but MAYBE against certain opponents, in certain situations? Same as if they move Thomas to Leo, MAYBE against certain opponents, in certain situations?

IF Carradine sticks thru this off-season, he should get a look at Leo too.

We don't have a Leo really, so maybe its by Committee?

I think they will be experimenting and giving people a chance. I don't have much faith in Tank. Just didn't see anything from him last year. Armstead looked pretty good as a pass rusher his rookie year before the injury. I think his issue is defending the run so a pass rushing role might better suit him. Lynch is the most talented of the group but the question is can he come into to camp healthy, in good shape, and motivated. Eli Harold's PFF pass rushing efficiency score was worse than Tanks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think they will be experimenting and giving people a chance. I don't have much faith in Tank. Just didn't see anything from him last year. Armstead looked pretty good as a pass rusher his rookie year before the injury. I think his issue is defending the run so a pass rushing role might better suit him. Lynch is the most talented of the group but the question is can he come into to camp healthy, in good shape, and motivated. Eli Harold's PFF pass rushing efficiency score was worse than Tanks.

Yeah, we don't have to keep Carradine, Harold, or even Lynch, but somebody will have to line up there during games. So if we're going to experiment, might as well try everyone till they get cut. Wasn't Carradine a Leo at Florida St?

Anyway, the experiments are secondary, they need to find the best spots for these guys? It might turn out an excess of guys at 5T, but they have to find out first.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Prior to the draft, i was thinking Stevie Tu'ikolovatu in Round 7, as the back-up NT. But this DJ Jones guy looks even better.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then let me change "inside" to mean "defensive linemen". This is why Thomas could prove huge, he could provide the pressure we need, no matter how you want to describe it.

For obvious passing downs, he can be moved anywhere along the line. Wouldn't move him around too much (on obvious passing downs), but sometimes we need to mix it up, depending on the opponents weakness.
Fair enough.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fair enough.

BTW - You're 'swayed' by Thomas' weight, saying he's too light. But you're not bothered by Foster at 229 lbs, any particular reason(s) why?

If Thomas was 283, would you then be ok? If not, how heavy?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - You're 'swayed' by Thomas' weight, saying he's too light. But you're not bothered by Foster at 229 lbs, any particular reason(s) why?

If Thomas was 283, would you then be ok? If not, how heavy?
230 is an excellent weight for a linebacker; especially one who depends on speed like Foster. My concern, if you read my posts, with Thomas' weight is playing him on the inside of the line as I thought you were suggesting. He can play DE at 280.
I'll just be surprised if he is the first Stanford defender to make a big splash in the NFL. They usually bust and I think it is the type of player that Stanford recruits to play their style of defense that is the problem. That is my layman's opinion, but quick guys who play gap defense like at Stanford get rolled over by power like you see in NFL offensive lines.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
230 is an excellent weight for a linebacker; especially one who depends on speed like Foster. My concern, if you read my posts, with Thomas' weight is playing him on the inside of the line as I thought you were suggesting. He can play DE at 280.
I'll just be surprised if he is the first Stanford defender to make a big splash in the NFL. They usually bust and I think it is the type of player that Stanford recruits to play their style of defense that is the problem. That is my layman's opinion, but quick guys who play gap defense like at Stanford get rolled over by power like you see in NFL offensive lines.

oh ok

i think 229 is a little lighter than prototypical, but not complaining. Was just using Foster as an example for being light.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh ok

i think 229 is a little lighter than prototypical, but not complaining. Was just using Foster as an example for being light.
Its about what Bowman weighed before he became a grown man. Foster will be fine. I'm a little concerned though because I heard one of the draft gurus on ESPN describe Fosters condition as having had "shoulder surgery that didn't take". Not sure that sounds good.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its about what Bowman weighed before he became a grown man. Foster will be fine. I'm a little concerned though because I heard one of the draft gurus on ESPN describe Fosters condition as having had "shoulder surgery that didn't take". Not sure that sounds good.

Really not too concerned with that. I read that it happened to another NFL player that required additional surgery. That player missed the first six weeks of the season. For the 49ers, even worse case scenario he needs another surgery, missing half of his first season is no big deal to us as long as he ends up a good player in the long term

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really not too concerned with that. I read that it happened to another NFL player that required additional surgery. That player missed the first six weeks of the season. For the 49ers, even worse case scenario he needs another surgery, missing half of his first season is no big deal to us as long as he ends up a good player in the long term
If he misses the first six weeks of the season its a wasted season in my opinion. He'll be so rusty and behind everyone else as far as learning the defense and actually playing at live speed that he'd probably end up getting injured.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he misses the first six weeks of the season its a wasted season in my opinion. He'll be so rusty and behind everyone else as far as learning the defense and actually playing at live speed that he'd probably end up getting injured.

Yes, it could end up being a wasted first season, but if this guy is as good as people said he can be, then I will take losing one season for the chance to draft him at 31.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, it could end up being a wasted first season, but if this guy is as good as people said he can be, then I will take losing one season for the chance to draft him at 31.

agreed. I always say draft looking at a prospects career.

earlier we also read how good he is at coverage too. not implying he's a "lockdown" LB, but stats proved he was one of the best coverage LB's last year.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. He is the one guy in the whole draft that I wanted and we got him.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. He is the one guy in the whole draft that I wanted and we got him.

I would be more concerned if it was a knee or foot issue cause those can really linger and sometimes the player is never the same