• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft 2017

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Translation:

'I'd be pissed if Baalke made that pick.'

LOL, probably. Still thinking about Marcus Lattimore. I had a shoulder/Pec strain injury from lifting weights years ago. Surgery was optional. Over time it healed fine and I am as strong as I've ever been so maybe I am a bit biased there,

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta give Baalke some credit....dude died with his boots on with the likes of a Will Redmond pick when he knew he was on borrowed time. Oh well...time to move on....

If Foster has to sit out some time, perhaps the whole season, so be it. It's a shoulder...not a knee. If he can clean up his off the field stuff....this guy seems to be the real deal.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
230 is an excellent weight for a linebacker; especially one who depends on speed like Foster. My concern, if you read my posts, with Thomas' weight is playing him on the inside of the line as I thought you were suggesting. He can play DE at 280.
I'll just be surprised if he is the first Stanford defender to make a big splash in the NFL. They usually bust and I think it is the type of player that Stanford recruits to play their style of defense that is the problem. That is my layman's opinion, but quick guys who play gap defense like at Stanford get rolled over by power like you see in NFL offensive lines.

Coming out of High School he was a top 5 DE according to all sites and at least top 40 to top 25 player in the country as well so he isn't the typical Stanford recruit.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming out of High School he was a top 5 DE according to all sites and at least top 40 to top 25 player in the country as well so he isn't the typical Stanford recruit.
He played in the Stanford type defense which only works in college. If he can learn to play in a pro type defense and not get run over, he'll be OK. My guess; he'll be a mediocre player with a relatively short career just like all Stanford defensive players.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played in the Stanford type defense which only works in college. If he can learn to play in a pro type defense and not get run over, he'll be OK. My guess; he'll be a mediocre player with a relatively short career just like all Stanford defensive players.

Yes he did play in the Stanford type defense but that doesn't change the fact that he was an elite high school recruit when many of the Stanford defenders that have gotten drafted were not. No defensive player recruited by Stanford has been viewed as highly coming out of high school or college for that matter. So I don't view him as the typical Stanford player and I'm hopeful he'll be better than you believe he'll be because he isn't like most Stanford players.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he did play in the Stanford type defense but that doesn't change the fact that he was an elite high school recruit when many of the Stanford defenders that have gotten drafted were not. No defensive player recruited by Stanford has been viewed as highly coming out of high school or college for that matter. So I don't view him as the typical Stanford player and I'm hopeful he'll be better than you believe he'll be because he isn't like most Stanford players.
I hope you are correct.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From this quote of yours:
""He is a good run defender but more importantly, can improve our inside pressure. Today's NFL have and will continue to have, top pocket passers. Unless you can disrupt them, the quick release guys like Brady, will pick you apart.""

Perhaps defensive end Arik Armstead fills this role and does well enough. But he's not your prototypical EDGE, rather more of an interior pass-rusher.

Taken from today's article. Wanted to show defensive ends are still referred to as "interior pass rushers". Interior doesn't only mean DT or NT. Not a big deal whatever we call it, but we could certainly use interior pressure.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Analyst Predicts Two 49ers to Make All-rookie Team 

This isn't surprising, and that would be great obviously. But the success of this team is more dependent on LAST year's draft class. Hello Garnett!

Redmond isn't mentioned so no reason to think he couldn't contribute too? Unless i read otherwise, i'd think 'contribute' could be as much as starting CB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Analyst Predicts Two 49ers to Make All-rookie Team

This isn't surprising, and that would be great obviously. But the success of this team is more dependent on LAST year's draft class. Hello Garnett!

Redmond isn't mentioned so no reason to think he couldn't contribute too? Unless i read otherwise, i'd think 'contribute' could be as much as starting CB.

Hard to get excited about a prediction but I hope it actually comes to pass. Not to concerned about Garnett yet as it isn't usual for rookie olineman to struggle. Redmond was considered a top cornerback and 1st round prospect before the knee injury so the talent is there. Will he be Baalke's first ACL success story?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hard to get excited about a prediction but I hope it actually comes to pass. Not to concerned about Garnett yet as it isn't usual for rookie olineman to struggle. Redmond was considered a top cornerback and 1st round prospect before the knee injury so the talent is there. Will he be Baalke's first ACL success story?

its very possible with Brock gone, Ward moving to Safety, and Weatherspoon being a rookie. haven't read anything indicating he hasn't recovered or isn't talented enough. In the case of Redmond, it wasn't a severe injury like Lattimore, so why not?

None of the previous ACL guys were even close, so why did Baalke keep doing it?! Smelter?

BTW - when i first brought this up two years ago (three?), others here gave me hell. Those guys are no longer posting here, but can you imagine fans BACKING UP Baalke and his ACL picks?!

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its very possible with Brock gone, Ward moving to Safety, and Weatherspoon being a rookie. haven't read anything indicating he hasn't recovered or isn't talented enough. In the case of Redmond, it wasn't a severe injury like Lattimore, so why not?

None of the previous ACL guys were even close, so why did Baalke keep doing it?! Smelter?

BTW - when i first brought this up two years ago (three?), others here gave me hell. Those guys are no longer posting here, but can you imagine fans BACKING UP Baalke and his ACL picks?!

There are still a couple of ACL picks on the team. Keith Reaser and Tank Carradine. Carradine has been a disappointment and Reaser has had his moments. Not sure what to make of him yet. The ACL strategy was okay back in 2012 and 2013 for mid round picks because the roster was loaded then and mid round picks were probably not going to make the team anyway but Baalke continued the practice. The ACL picks mostly haven't worked out, but then again most of Baalke's picks haven't worked out either.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are still a couple of ACL picks on the team. Keith Reaser and Tank Carradine. Carradine has been a disappointment and Reaser has had his moments. Not sure what to make of him yet. The ACL strategy was okay back in 2012 and 2013 for mid round picks because the roster was loaded then and mid round picks were probably not going to make the team anyway but Baalke continued the practice. The ACL picks mostly haven't worked out, but then again most of Baalke's picks haven't worked out either.

your opinion is fine but mine is......it doesn't matter what the current team looks like. You still draft a player based on his potential to help you. That is not to say you don't think of other factors, but that players potential is by far the largest factor guiding your decision.

Even if last year's team was LOADED, i'd still enter this draft thinking of the best players to add. I would NOT think ok now i can gamble with a 2nd or 3rd or 4th round pick. I would not be thinking i can afford to gamble on a player with an ACL. Granted, there are different grades of ACL injury, from Redmond's slight tear to Lattimore's severe ones.

Getting back to Baalke, so after seeing his POOR results from earlier ACL picks, you'd think something should click in his mind......hey this isn't even close?! There earlier picks had almost no contribution the following season. There was nothing to indicate this strategy was working.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your opinion is fine but mine is......it doesn't matter what the current team looks like. You still draft a player based on his potential to help you. That is not to say you don't think of other factors, but that players potential is by far the largest factor guiding your decision.

Even if last year's team was LOADED, i'd still enter this draft thinking of the best players to add. I would NOT think ok now i can gamble with a 2nd or 3rd or 4th round pick. I would not be thinking i can afford to gamble on a player with an ACL. Granted, there are different grades of ACL injury, from Redmond's slight tear to Lattimore's severe ones.

Getting back to Baalke, so after seeing his POOR results from earlier ACL picks, you'd think something should click in his mind......hey this isn't even close?! There earlier picks had almost no contribution the following season. There was nothing to indicate this strategy was working.

When the team was loaded, the odds of a fifth round making the team was pretty small. Was it the ACL strategy that didn't work or was it Baalke couldn't judge talent? Lattimore was the one example of a player who couldn't make it. Yes, I would not have been drafting ACL players the last couple of years. But if you look at all of Baalke's picks, you will see Baalke missed on most of his picks. Only a couple of pro bowlers. Most of the picks were turned out average to poor just like his ACL picks

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When the team was loaded, the odds of a fifth round making the team was pretty small. Was it the ACL strategy that didn't work or was it Baalke couldn't judge talent? Lattimore was the one example of a player who couldn't make it. Yes, I would not have been drafting ACL players the last couple of years. But if you look at all of Baalke's picks, you will see Baalke missed on most of his picks. Only a couple of pro bowlers. Most of the picks were turned out average to poor just like his ACL picks

True, if your team is loaded, then the odds of a 5th rounder are low. But you already know Baalke didn't use just 5th rounders. Anyway, even if the odds are low, i'd still approach the draft as getting the best players you can. Not gamble on an ACL player, more so after seeing zero results.

In this discussion of ACL player, it isn't tied into Baalke's ability to select. Because even if Baalke wasn't a good selector, that doesn't give him the justification to draft ACL players. This is like saying since i'm going to fail anyway, it is ok drafting an ACL.

Baalke's overall track record wasn't helped by Anthony Davis' head case; Chris Borland's EARLY retirement; nor Aldon Smith's "off field issues".

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team is loaded, I have absolutely no problem with taking a guy with ACL-type issues. In this day and age, the player comes back fully in a year or so....not like the old days. Baalke's picks missed for different reasons....some players just weren't for the NFL (Brandon Thomas) and some injuries were just too severe (Marcus Lattimore). He also was severely hampered by the rush of retirements, but ultimately doomed himself with his simiar strategy even when the cupboard was bare.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't have a problem with drafting a guy that has an injury if the value is right. The potential upside of a player with said injury to contribute to the team in the near future could represent the greatest value. Personally the 2nd round last year for Jaylon Smith was terrific value for the kind of talent he could be. Nearly all the guys Baalke drafted with those injuries were marginal first round picks not guys that would have been top 5 or 10 players in the draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly I don't have a problem with drafting a guy that has an injury if the value is right. The potential upside of a player with said injury to contribute to the team in the near future could represent the greatest value. Personally the 2nd round last year for Jaylon Smith was terrific value for the kind of talent he could be. Nearly all the guys Baalke drafted with those injuries were marginal first round picks not guys that would have been top 5 or 10 players in the draft.

Yes, this is the same thinking by Baalke, and what were the results? Doesn't matter what round, the theory is the same....sacrifice one year and then we'll get great value from then on. Problem is, these ACL guys don't return to the players they once were. The guys Baalke drafted were all talented guys, but the ACL keeps them from returning to form.

Jaylon Smith is great value ASSUMING he returns to what he was at Notre Dame. That is still to be decided. Was his an ACL injury? What about the LB from UCLA, ACL too?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, these ACL guys don't return to the players they once were.

There are tons of guys who return to form after an ACL injury. Frank Gore tore both ACL's, and I think he did alright for SF.