• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Bans Lowering Head to Initiate Contact

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous .. The game is safer now than it's been in a long while, you can't take all violence out of football completely or we might as well just play 2 hand touch... This can actually create more injuries, players are gonna tackle at the knees every time now, or have impact with there heads straight up which is how Avril ended his career ... NFL is taking this shit too far and they're gonna start losing fans...

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it definitely would be more like rugby than football.

Yep...I supposed we could go back to the leather helmet days and look at footage to see how players responded to being hit.

To your earlier point...IDT this will impact the game as much as we think either, but how the refs call it will play a big part. Rule changes withstanding, they still need to complete the game in the 3 hr time window or the TV partner will be bent out of shape.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NFL would emphasize on how important proper tackling is to their game, just maybe they would get better results and less injuries....The tackling is better in youth football than it is in the NFL....I had to go through certifications every year while coaching and the kids learned proper techniques in practice every day....We had very good results and the kids learned how to tackle with their shoulder while keeping their heads up....I watch the NFL games and it's amazing how out of control the players are, they race to the ball, rarely break down to put themselves in position to make a tackle....I'm sure everyone has a player on their favorite team that is a culprit of this....Mike Mitchell for one, has awful technique on tackling and I'm glad he's gone....He lead with his helmet constantly and was looking for a big hit rather than making a simple tackle....Unfortunately for Shazier, he often would lower his head and now the results are life changing....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they truly enforce this rule, RIP NFL ... Imagine season ticket holders going to watch there favorite players, only to watch them get ejected if they lower there head making a tackle... I"m wondering how far the NFL thinks it can push it before fans just stop paying for the product... NFL football is part of our culture, it's the biggest sport in the USA by far, but the NFL isn't immune from fans making a decision to do something else on Sunday's if they keep this crap up.. I should say, Sunday's, Monday's, Saturday's and Thursday's, hell they'll probably have Friday night NFL soon enough... I"m seeing the typical capitalistic approach to maximizing profits and watering everything down as much as possible because they think Americans don't have another option...

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another rule that will further ruin the game. Subjective 15 yard penalties are asinine. when do the rule changes stop? How many concussions or injuries will be considered an acceptable amoun? Why is the NFL still slacking in looking into improving the equipment? Should we only allow two hand touch on the QBs? I mean the product on the field sucks asshole when the good passes go down. Why not make them wear flags?

The past decade has been the NFL making bad decision after bad decision. From player discipline, to rule changes, to celebrating, and everything in between. As long as the owners are making $$$ though.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot goes on in tight places and eliminating the protective aspect of the helmet wouldn't be a good thing.

But banning it as weaponry is OK by me. I say again, players have to respect each other.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically it's terrible for player making the hit as well.

Didn't this happen to Shazier?
Yes, if I remember correctly, he shot his helmet into chest of player, but got the worst of it as his spine crunched from neck on down.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See what you hit? Been around for ohhhhhhhhhhhh 150 years...brilliant NFL

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol, prepare for a lot of scoring next year....

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So see what you hit has never lead to head first contact? Color me surprised.