• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Jersey Devils Ongoing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though our current signings don't look bad, we still need better scoring F

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pretty poor off-season so far for Shero not counting the draft.

We have 3rd most cap space in the NHL and didn't bother to bring in high paid guys/vets on short terms and lost out on all the cap casualties. He's going to use the excuse that he wants to be young and fast but in reality he's basically quitting for next season already.

John Moore seems like an amazing signing in a vacuum but he's a guy that needs tons of support from his D partner. Our whole defense outside of Greene fits this mold and its impossible to have your whole defense sheltered.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah there was zero players out there to put this team over the hump. So I'm fine with what happened today.

Can't believe moore is only 24 how did he hit ufa?

This team is going to suck this year and I'm fine with that dump some assests like Elias zubrus ruutu at the deadline for some picks.

Next summer shero has to step up and make a move the team will be young with a ton of cap space. I believe we are 2 million under the floor and 25 under the ceiling when was the last time njd was like that

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This team was never going to be a cup competitor next season.
I don't see him as giving up, but there is no quick fix for this team at all.

Free agency is not going to make any difference this summer. The FA class sucks.
As for trading for offense? Who do you trade exactly? We just started to get younger and add some players via draft. You don't trade all that.
As for vets, nobody wants guys like Zubrus or Zajac or others. Plus Lou gave everybody NTC.

Shero just got here and so far he is doing everything I would have wanted him to do. If it wasn't for limitations like players with NTC, he might be able to do even more.

I am looking forward to next season because team is already younger and faster. The last thing I want is them signing guys like Martin Havlat like they did last season, hoping he can rekindle his career here.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just because the team isn't expected to be the 4-6 teams competing for a cup doesn't mean they should just fucking pack their bags and be a no-show all season. Thats what the Sixers do and they are the biggest disgrace of a franchise in NA sports right now.

Frolik is the prototypical Devils in the same vein as Zubrus and Brylin and would be a great asset for this team.
Sam Gagner has 1 year left and was dirt cheap because his contract is high. He also fills the quota of being somewhat young and fast. He was traded for Chris fucking Pronger! Clowe could have brought him in.
Scott Gomez has speed, skill, and wants to come to NJ but he's ignored immediately.

There were lots of other players on high cost-low term contracts that could have been picked up for pennies.
Chicago, Boston, LA, Carolina, NYR, Philly were all in cap hell and were able to get out of trouble with Shero doing nothing to take advantage of it.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our best move was to make little to no moves. Needed to get younger, need to make room for our youth that has been held back, we have a ton of depth on D now and a ton of cap space which means we can take on a big contract at some point.

No free agents worth spending money on.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see it as the team packing the bags at all. Not going to call Shero's offseason a failure when we aren't even done with July 1 yet and he started his job less than 2 months ago. Still plenty of time left before the puck drops.
Yea, Frolik would have been a nice pick up. Maybe Shero attempted to sign him. No clue. He signed a 5 year deal with Calgary. Possible the guy had no interest to come to NJ. 4.3 million per year, he cashed in today.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Our best move was to make little to no moves. Needed to get younger, need to make room for our youth that has been held back, we have a ton of depth on D now and a ton of cap space which means we can take on a big contract at some point.

No free agents worth spending money on.

Exactly

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the team goes into the season with $20 mil in free cap space they sure as hell packed the bags and decided not to compete this year. That is Buffalo, Arizona, and temper tantrum Charles Wang territory.

Bringing in Gomez for a year will hold back who? Zacha? Stephen Gionta?
Bringing in a RW like Gagner at silly salary for a year will hold back who? Jordin Tootoo?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early lineup predictions:

Camm-Truth-Palmeri
Elias-Zajac-Boucher
Matteau-JJ-Kalinin
Zubrus-O'Brien-Ruutu

Larsson-Greene
Merrill-Severson
Gelinas-Moore

Roughly? Hope some forwards surprise, like Coleman, Zacha, Quenneville. I would love for somebody to step up and bump Elias down to the 3rd line, limit his minutes and use him primarily on the PP. Last year he started to look like he was losing steam.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who exactly were we going to sign that would bring us the cup this offseason? Not exactly a strong market of goal scorers out there this FA cycle

This is 100% correct. There wasn't a forward who was even close to what we got with Camm. Spending money on any of these guys would be a huge waste, and ruin the ability for some of these young guys to have shots at playing. Pete was pretty atrocious with young players. This was also the reason he was run out of Florida, even though you would have thought his JR track record would have made him ideal to get players into the NHL lineup. Didn't work out that way.

We're better off sitting pat, and getting some decent young players. We already got a ready now young guy in Palmieri who was actually pretty decent for bad Anaheim PP, playing second unit minutes. If you want to go out and try to get some pieces in FA you need to have a nucleus. We don't have a cup contending nucleus just yet.

Kessel to Pitt, that makes sense. He's the most talented shooter Crosby has EVER HAD to play with. That includes Hossa.

Kessel here, would be a total fucking disaster.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is Buffalo, Arizona, and temper tantrum Charles Wang territory.

Whose roster would you rather have next season? Ours of Buffalo? All these teams that have been winning cups lately really sucked for a couple of years to get these superstars they're winning with.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Until we become better we won't be a destination for ufa.

Pit will take longer without any big name ufa coming here.

It's kinda a catch 22 lol

I really doubt this team will be at the cap floor beyond this year. Next year still at the floor? I'll be a little worried ... Year after that at the cap floor? Yeah then I will question these owners motives

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Look at next year's FA class.

There are about 20 forwards on that list better than Matt Beleskey who was pretty much the #1 FA forward this off season.

Free Agents | General Fanager

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stamkos in this list - for sure will get extension with TB before winter trades start.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
that is a good list 1000000000x better then this year and last years ufa. a good portion of this list will be signed but there will still be a lot of good players on that list.

best case for this team

compete for the 8th next year to keep us fans into it. if we make it? great if not its ok.
get a great draft pick position again then when july 1st comes next year strike and pick up a couple of good pieces

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, to my current knowledge of FA, there's not a big FA to pay the big pucks...

is there really one in the NHL?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early lineup predictions:

Camm-Truth-Palmeri
Elias-Zajac-Boucher
Matteau-JJ-Kalinin
Zubrus-O'Brien-Ruutu

Larsson-Greene
Merrill-Severson
Gelinas-Moore

Roughly? Hope some forwards surprise, like Coleman, Zacha, Quenneville. I would love for somebody to step up and bump Elias down to the 3rd line, limit his minutes and use him primarily on the PP. Last year he started to look like he was losing steam.
Did we lose Gionta?

Status
Not open for further replies.