• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska @ Northwestern Week 2012

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's the big question.

As JJM pointed out Nebraska's played stiffer competion, but they've also lost 2 out of 3 to that stiffer competition and trailed a great deal in their one win over that stiffer competition.
As you can tell by their ranking, nobody's buying the Pelini product anymore (AP 34th, Coaches 31st) because the same issues of penalties, turnovers, and poor rushing defense have become a pattern under his leadership. It's year 3 defensively (ie..post Suh).

I've absorbed all of the talk since the Ohio St debacle from Pelini about how angry they are, how hungry they are, how they know what their problems are and that they'll fix them but they haven't to this point midway through year 5. We heard the same thing after UCLA, Wisconsin, last year, the year before, ad nauseum.

I've seen where some have said that Nebraska won't lose back-to-back games because of this anger/hunger so I guess we can hang our hats on that.

It's too late too make changes that will fix the woes of this team regarding offensive and defensive line play (whether it's strength and conditioning, coaching, execution, whatever). I expect Nebraska to crawl into a shell and rely on the running game offensively. They are loaded with talent at the receiver spots, but it's too risky to try to get the ball to them unless Nebraska's already trailing and trying to catch up. The Huskers don't pass block well, and when Taylor gets pressure he loses composure. It's just how it is.

I think Nebraska will win this game, but it wouldn't surprise me one iota if they didn't.

I couldn't have said it any better!

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose because NW is nothing special. They've built a nice record vs awful opponents. I'd say they are as good as Wisconsin and we really had to fuck things up to keep them in it. Coming off the worst game of the year, I expect a bounce back as Bo's teams have had a tendency to do. More physical and more emotion. This team is not as bad as they played in Columbus. I know it was embarrassing and all that but it's time to move on.

I agree with this post so much that I almost feel like maybe I typed it

popeyecv64

and thats all I have to say about that
Smack dab in the middle of a great state Nebraska
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my prediction is this ......................................

The Huskers will kick the Wildcats ass this weekend

why ? ---- why not

the Huskers are following the same pattern as last year----- lose really bad one game and bounce back the next one

and then hit the training table for more vitttles

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Huskers are following the same pattern as last year----- lose really bad one game and bounce back the next one

How can you say we're following that same pattern when we have yet to see how this team responds after a bad loss?

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
I don't know about you, but for me it's about:

8098526960_b2463750e7.jpg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this game determine who gets to keep the N on their helmets?

popeyecv64

and thats all I have to say about that
Smack dab in the middle of a great state Nebraska
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you say we're following that same pattern when we have yet to see how this team responds after a bad loss?

well---- its the same pattern of last years games sir

the Huskers would lose big then bounce back and win the next contest

very simple math sir

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different year, different team, different opponents.

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJB and Mitchell to start at CB

i don't know about you guys but i find that hilarious...our well above average sized corner and our WAAAAYYYY undersized corner are starting together...thats funny

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
It was a good read... What do you think needs to take place to get this turnover problem taken care of?

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
Bo possibly needs to rethink the format of practices. With JTs comments about the scout team, it's going to raise some eyebrow's. Especially since Bo was ask about that this last week.

A question and answer with Charlie McBride after the UCLA game.

Hail Varsity: McBride talks defense
HV: With your defense, how often did you go live in practice?

McBride: Let’s put it this way. We had pro people come in and ask us why we were scrimmaging on Wednesday and even on Thursday when we were without pads. We were pretty live, but we talked every day. Some days where we had a bad week like Nebraska had this week, we would go ahead and start practice out with tackling. We would have coaches working together with their players and had different drills that would take in the whole team, really.
You just have to emphasize those things and players will respond to it. One-on-one situations are not good any time you’re facing a good back. But one-on-11 is good. It does come down to second effort and people really wanting to get to the football. You’ve got to get after it to get to the football. You can’t be messing around

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good read... What do you think needs to take place to get this turnover problem taken care of?

For now (offensively), crawl into a shell. Go vanilla. Run, Run, Low Risk Pass, Punt.

Unfortunately Pelini doesn't have a Dorsey or Suh up front to disrupt things and take pressure off the other 10 defensive players, but limiting turnovers with a conservative offense will limit short field situations for opponents. They'll have to rely on bend but don't break philosophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and put your best players out there for punt and kick return defense. Giving up cheap TD's or giving the opponent the short field due to a good punt/kick return may as well be a pick 6 or a turnover.

Stop beating yourself.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and put your best players out there for punt and kick return defense. Giving up cheap TD's or giving the opponent the short field due to a good punt/kick return may as well be a pick 6 or a turnover.

Stop beating yourself.

This something Iowa has done for years. It used to piss fans off which I never understood. Id much rather have starters out there making other teams have to go a long field than scrubs out there making it easy on the other team. Cant remember the last time Iowa gave up a TD on a KO or punt return.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pound the rock 1's vs 1's in practice until Steinkuhler and Meredith either step up their game or flat out can't take it anymore and quit.

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
For now (offensively), crawl into a shell. Go vanilla. Run, Run, Low Risk Pass, Punt.

Unfortunately, this will be dictated by the opponents ability to score. If we get down by more than one possession, Tim will throw the hat and let the chips fall where they may.