• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska names new AD

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we pretend that AD's have anything to do with the hiring and firing
of football and basketball coaches at Power 5 schools?

Their sole purpose is to hire who they have been told to hire, plus make the announcement.

If folks are upset with the Softball coach you can blame it on the AD...If its Football
and Basketball...I'd call the school President and/or Board of Trustees.
Usually. Not everywhere.

I don't think presidents and trustees really have much to do with it at more elite institutions. At Florida State, sure, but Stanford's president isn't focused on football. Nor is Wisconsin's, really. Barry Alvarez is definitely actually in charge of the football and basketball programs.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually. Not everywhere.

I don't think presidents and trustees really have much to do with it at more elite institutions. At Florida State, sure, but Stanford's president isn't focused on football. Nor is Wisconsin's, really. Barry Alvarez is definitely actually in charge of the football and basketball programs.

There is no AD in America that is free to hand out a 5 mil dollar salary without the Prez and BOT
weighing in on it and approving it. Alvarez gets ready to hire or fire somebody, he's going to
run it by his Prez and BOT, and they will tell him whether he can or not.

On the flip side IF the Prez gets some nasty letters, calls from prominent boosters/donors/endowers
that one of the coaches isn't performing up to the school's standards...the Prez will tell Alvarez
to fire said coach.

No BOT is gonna give an AD (an employee) full control of a 200 million dollar operation. Everyone
of them will weigh in

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no AD in America that is free to hand out a 5 mil dollar salary without the Prez and BOT
weighing in on it and approving it. Alvarez gets ready to hire or fire somebody, he's going to
run it by his Prez and BOT, and they will tell him whether he can or not.

On the flip side IF the Prez gets some nasty letters, calls from prominent boosters/donors/endowers
that one of the coaches isn't performing up to the school's standards...the Prez will tell Alvarez
to fire said coach.

No BOT is gonna give an AD (an employee) full control of a 200 million dollar operation. Everyone
of them will weigh in
Of course they have to sign off, and might weigh in. That's different from what you said.

The AD is still conducting the search, talking to agents, and interviewing candidates at the sort of school I'm talking about. The president and trustees are rubber stamping the choice, not the other way around. Those guys don't know dick about football or coaches at schools that aren't football factories. They've got multi-billion dollar endowments to worry about, so no a $100 million operation isn't their main priority.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they have to sign off, and might weigh in. That's different from what you said.

The AD is still conducting the search, talking to agents, and interviewing candidates at the sort of school I'm talking about. The president and trustees are rubber stamping the choice, not the other way around. Those guys don't know dick about football or coaches at schools that aren't football factories. They've got multi-billion dollar endowments to worry about, so no a $100 million operation isn't their main priority.

Actually, it is exactly what I said.

The AD's are "gophers" when it comes to hiring/firing a football or basketball coach.

The AD's go get the info the Prez or the Board wants and they bring it back to those folks
to make the decision.

They'll ask the AD for some input. If he gives them inaccurate info or fudges a bit...they
fire him. It's a pretty simple process.

The AD gets to announce it.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it is exactly what I said.

The AD's are "gophers" when it comes to hiring/firing a football or basketball coach.

The AD's go get the info the Prez or the Board wants and they bring it back to those folks
to make the decision.

They'll ask the AD for some input. If he gives them inaccurate info or fudges a bit...they
fire him. It's a pretty simple process.

The AD gets to announce it.
I do not think this is how've it works at real universities. The presidents have bigger fish to fry.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think this is how've it works at real universities. The presidents have bigger fish to fry.

That's exactly how it works at "real" universities.

Just like in the business world. Folks that have a lot of money, got it by watching
every penny they spend. They don't waste money.

There is a lot of money involved in football and basketball. Equally there are 15 to 20
other sports at the school that lose their shirts. Schools must maximize every profit
dollar from football and basketball to make their athletic departments break even.

Do you think the AD at Arkansas just fired a Coach and will have to pay him 11.8 mil
in a buy-out, on his own? And that's Not counting the 3, 4 or 5 mil they'll have to shell out for
a new coach.

And please with all this subtle boasting..."real university" crap.
I read that they used Wisconsin as the back drop for Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School"
because by using Whisky students as extras it would make Dangerfield look intelligent.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just said Frost said he is taking the Nebraska job during the UCF game

Not a very well kept secret.
Even the 7 year 35mm figure from over a month ago was spot on.