• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Nebraska @ Minnesota -- 2:30 CST on ESPN2

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did that chair belong to Mangino once upon a time?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read that.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully this game shows DL and MR what they need to be doing on offense. 39 runs to 26 passes is a much better ratio than we've had in the past games.

a pretty well called game by them outside the one series with 3 passes and virtually no time off the clock in the 4th Q. i didn't mind the first pass play deep, since Minn was expecting run, but then to come back with a screen pass seemed silly, sure it should be a high % throw, but i'm just not a fan of RB screen passes because linemen too often miss down field blocks. not much choice but to throw it on 3rd if you want to extend the drive.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but i'm just not a fan of RB screen passes because linemen too often miss down field blocks
You might be disappointed with our offense going forward then. Riley loves the screen game, and he's shown to be very good at designing effective plays. We need a quarterback who can figure out how to throw a screen pass, though. We've had several this year where the blocking was all set up but the timing was thrown off by a pass that was either too hard, too soft, or not in the right place.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully this game shows DL and MR what they need to be doing on offense. 39 runs to 26 passes is a much better ratio than we've had in the past games.

a pretty well called game by them outside the one series with 3 passes and virtually no time off the clock in the 4th Q. i didn't mind the first pass play deep, since Minn was expecting run, but then to come back with a screen pass seemed silly, sure it should be a high % throw, but i'm just not a fan of RB screen passes because linemen too often miss down field blocks. not much choice but to throw it on 3rd if you want to extend the drive.

I didn't like that deep pass.

Yea they put 9 guys in the box and we had 1-on-1 coverage, but for the love of God.....why test fate? We had lost 4 out of 6 games leading up to that game on the final play of the game, all due to stupidity.

A 45 yard jump ball on 1st down when we're trying to bleed the clock........I don't like it no matter what the scenario. We don't have any 6'6" receivers who we can rely on to go up and get that. It's at best a 50/50 ball IF it's placed well. It wasn't placed well, and that is to be expected out of a QB who is not a natural pocket passer.

Just didn't understand it at all. If it was earlier in the game, then yes. But that was the start of a crucial series in the game. We needed to pound the rock, eat clock, and try to get a first down. That's how you toss the dagger right there.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the only series in the game where the staff completely messed up. From start to finish, in my opinion......it reminded me of a desperate gambler playing roulette and just throwing his $20 that he had built from $10 all on one number and hoping it hit and then the night could be over.

You're ahead. Go home, go to bed, and stay ahead.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the only series in the game where the staff completely messed up. From start to finish, in my opinion......it reminded me of a desperate gambler playing roulette and just throwing his $20 that he had built from $10 all on one number and hoping it hit and then the night could be over.

You're ahead. Go home, go to bed, and stay ahead.
I don't know...there was over 10 minutes left in the game. You take a shot, no big deal. Then you go for a high percentage play on 2nd down, which should have worked out if we could throw/catch. Then it's third down, and you gotta go for the first down. The best playcalling? Certainly not, but trying to salt away a game with ten minutes left is begging to lose. It goes back to the old saying, you want to play to win, not play not to lose.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know...there was over 10 minutes left in the game. You take a shot, no big deal. Then you go for a high percentage play on 2nd down, which should have worked out if we could throw/catch. Then it's third down, and you gotta go for the first down. The best playcalling? Certainly not, but trying to salt away a game with ten minutes left is begging to lose. It goes back to the old saying, you want to play to win, not play not to lose.

In my opinion, with what we have to work with at QB and WR, a jump ball is the last thing I call there.

Try to pick up 4 yards on first down, and then you're looking at 2nd and medium. You're taking away an entire series from Minnesota's comeback by keeping the clock running for 3 plays. And then, if you do manage a first down, now you're going to take away more time.

I just try to imagine a guy like Nick Saban in that situation. He's running that thing even if he knows his OL is outmatched. No way he allows for a low percentage clock stopping play there.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all of this said, I don't think it's an indication that our staff is in over their head or anything. I think it's an indication that they wanted to win really bad to get the monkey off their back, and they wanted to do it right this instant. I don't blame them, you take a lot of heat coaching for his program.

I just hope that moving forward we don't jeopardize our chances with calls in crucial situations. After we threw that pass I was kinda sitting their in awe. I felt a sense of panic.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the very first thought that went through my head was, "Tommy wasn't supposed to throw that...."

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Callahan talked about how it was playing numbers and matchups, as they were totally selling out on the run. Not that SC's word is worth that much, but that comment makes sense to me. Like I said, I get why people would want them to just run, but I also understand the thinking behind the series and don't really see anything wrong with it (other than it didn't work out).

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Callahan talked about how it was playing numbers and matchups, as they were totally selling out on the run. Not that SC's word is worth that much, but that comment makes sense to me. Like I said, I get why people would want them to just run, but I also understand the thinking behind the series and don't really see anything wrong with it (other than it didn't work out).

Why not throw a dadburned high percentage pass then? LOL

9 guys in the box. Westerkamp could have easily gotten open on a simple quick hitter with 1 on 1 coverage.

It's not so much throwing the ball there that boggles theeee mind. It's the fact that we threw a Hail Mary. That's what I'm calling it, because honestly we have no business attempting that. If Aaron Rodgers was under center then yea, I'm all for it.

I honestly don't believe we convert on that 1 out of 10 tries. I am a huge supporter of the staff, but I have to call it as it is, too. I can't pump rainbows on this one. I watched a ton of football that day and that play was top 3 dumbest calls in all the land.