• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska 2013 Summer Big Board (Defense)

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Safety is by far the most important position in Pelini's defense... DL is HUGE, but if we have an all-american type safety we beat UCLA at least.

That was a bad game defense all levels... DL was getting knifed up and pushed back lb were too slow and a step behind and secondary had to clean up the rest but still made mistakes.

Even if we had a top safety when your front seven is getting pushed around I don't know what a top safety could do to prevent it or put them in the right spot. But stafford had to be doing something right to get drafted while the rest of the defense weren't.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a bad game defense all levels... DL was getting knifed up and pushed back lb were too slow and a step behind and secondary had to clean up the rest but still made mistakes.

Even if we had a top safety when your front seven is getting pushed around I don't know what a top safety could do to prevent it or put them in the right spot. But stafford had to be doing something right to get drafted while the rest of the defense weren't.

A great safety does wonders for a DL actually... makes them look better than they are in many cases. The safety is the QB of the defense, getting people lined up right and erasing mistakes made up front. You can trace a majority of big plays against us back to the fact that either Stafford or Smith were misaligned or missed a tackle... it sucks to blame them because it is hard but unless you have a Suh up front Safety is far and away the most important position in Bo's defense.

As for the UCLA game, If we had an all-american safety we win that game. Believe me. Of course if we had an All-American DT we probably do too. However, we should have won anyway because UCLA couldn't stop our running game and then Beck just panicked and went all pass-happy in the 4th quarter.

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great safety does wonders for a DL actually... makes them look better than they are in many cases. The safety is the QB of the defense, getting people lined up right and erasing mistakes made up front. You can trace a majority of big plays against us back to the fact that either Stafford or Smith were misaligned or missed a tackle... it sucks to blame them because it is hard but unless you have a Suh up front Safety is far and away the most important position in Bo's defense.

As for the UCLA game, If we had an all-american safety we win that game. Believe me. Of course if we had an All-American DT we probably do too. However, we should have won anyway because UCLA couldn't stop our running game and then Beck just panicked and went all pass-happy in the 4th quarter.

I think it's funny that Bo was a safety so he makes his safety's be uber important :dhd:

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's funny his secondary's are regularly tops in the nation because of that.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lets agree to disagree

Bc one thing the SEC has taught is beside cheating and paying players is that on defense it starts up front. I rather have a better and elite front seven with an avg secondary. Than have an elite secondary but a piss poor DL and lb. just my opinion

Now in Bo defense safeties are important but remember how good that our line was with suh in 09. Our run defense was top and so was pass defense. Then '10 we lose suh have a great secondary but get gashed up front run defense wise compared to with suh in 09.

When the qb doesn't have time to throw or rb lanes to run the secondary can play vanilla and attack bc passes won't be crisp and qb will be scrambling for their lives instead of going through reads.

Go back to ucla game How many miss tackles did the front seven have... It's easier to tackle someone in the first 5-8 yard away from scrimmage than full speed 20-30 yards down field. I'm not giving them a pass but you can put someone in the right spot if they can't make a tackle or read a WR sweep after the 25th time or misdirection safeties can only do so much if the front seven screws up

I thik that why stafford got drafted and other didnt.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's funny his secondary's are regularly tops in the nation because of that.

It maybe me but I think bo defense are better suited for the pass happy big12 where qb are throwing and not scrambling

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford was part of the problem... I'll never understand his getting drafted. I doubt he sticks on a NFL roster. Safeties are the last line of defense yes, and having a superior DL can eliminate a lot of big plays... however in Bo's defense the safeties call out the alignment and get the MIKE to align the DL right. Safety, intellectually, is the most important piece of the puzzle.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford was part of the problem... I'll never understand his getting drafted. I doubt he sticks on a NFL roster. Safeties are the last line of defense yes, and having a superior DL can eliminate a lot of big plays... however in Bo's defense the safeties call out the alignment and get the MIKE to align the DL right. Safety, intellectually, is the most important piece of the puzzle.

Not saying he wasn't part of the problem. But that front seven was weak.didnt matter if we had a top safety Or all American we couldn't TACKLE. They could have been in the right place they couldnt tackle. i know safeties are last line of defense but if that front seven is suspect than that safety is gonna get blamed and will have to make alot of open field tackles

Mix that with us being slow on defense and slow to make reads... I mean wisky game? Serioulsly where was the front seven in that game? And ucla was clinic on how not to make tackles. If we're gonna blame stafford lets not stop there that front seven all didnt show up in big games.

One could ask if Bo defense needs too safeties to set up everything he had better start doing this crazy thing called RECRUTING.. I'm SEC country they called it paying.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care how good your secondary is if the Dline can't control the LOS and rush the passer it doesn't matter. DT's and pass rushing DE's are more important.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is not one position that is anymore important then the other. Success hinges on every position and you must be sharp at every position. Otherwise you get pecker slapped