• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska 2013 Summer Big Board (Defense)

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the Big Board as I see it right now. I have my ear to the ground in many areas of recruiting, i'm not right all the time but usually my info is good at the time I get it. Enjoy... any questions or comments post away! I use 247Sports ratings, Scout and Rivals will be in indicated in parenthesis if it differs from 247's ratings.

Needs: DE, DT, CB, S

DE

1. Billy Hirschfield: 3-Star: [Hartland, WI] Hirschfield is a physical freak coming out of Wisconsin. He stands at 6'7" and weighs 270+ pounds but plays and runs like a DE, not a DT. Hirshfield is a similar player to 2013 commit AJ Natter in that he owns his side of field in high school football. He was quoted as saying Nebraska led for him recently but Wisconsin will be a tough battle. He has the versatility to play both inside and outside, but Nebraska is looking at him as a DE.

Dewayne Hendrix: 4-Star: [O'Fallon, IL] Hendrix was intrigued by his offer from Nebraska early but hasn't found the time to visit yet. There were reports that he might try to make it to the Spring Game but he never came. Nebraska coaches will be trying to convince Hendrix (one of the top DE prospects in the nation) to visit during Big Red Weekend this summer. It is key for him to get on campus if Nebraska wants to be taken seriously.

Other names to note: Garrett Dickerson, Derek Bennett, Jeremiah Clarke

DT

1. Peyton Newell: 4-Star: (3-Star Rivals) [Haiawatha, KS] Newell is Nebraska's biggest DT target for the 2014 cycle. He has been to campus multiple times and has a fantastic relationship with Bo Pelini, Papuchis, Garrison and Kaz. He will likely let this play out a bit longer but Nebraska is in good position here. He has 35+ reported offers.

Andrew Brown: 5-Star: [Chesapeake, VA] Andrew Brown is one of the, if not THE, best DT prospects in the country for the 2014 cycle. It will be hard to pull him out of Virginia but he has been fairly receptive to Nebraska to this point. It's a long way out, and a long shot but look for Nebraska to continue to pursue.

Thomas Holley: 4-Star: (3-Star Rivals) [Brooklyn, NY] Holley has only been playing football for a few years and he has made a name for himself. A talent like this doesn't come along on the defensive side of the ball in the Northeast often and when it does teams jump on it. When Nebraska offered Holley intimated that he was very interested, but since then schools like Alabama, Clemson etc... have jumped into the fray. Holley is open to leaving and going anywhere, it is up to the Husker coaches to get him to campus.

Other names to note: Khairi Clark, Travonte Valentine, Daniel Cage

LB

Jimmie Swain: 3-Star: [Lee's Summit, MO] I've heard multiple recruiting analyst say that if Swain were in Texas, Ohio or California he would be a mid level 4-star already. He has the type of athleticism and physicality that people liken to LaVonte David, Zaire Anderson and David Santos. Swain was supposed to come for the spring game but could not find a ride up to Lincoln. He now plans on attending BRW. The last few classes have been stocked with LB talent so you know they will only take one or two that make sense. Swain is one of them.

Other names to note Nyles Morgan, Christian Sam

CB

Parrker Westphal: 4-Star: [Bolingbrook, IL] A talent like Westphal doesn't come along often at CB in the midwest, so when he does coaches will take notice. Nebraska was in on Westphal from the beginning convincing him to visit for BRW last season but has fallen behind Michigan in recruiting him as of late. Westphal is definitely the staff's #1 target as he has the size and athleticism Terry Joseph likes in his CBs (6'0" 190 lbs) but this is an uphill battle.

Naijiel Hale: 4-Star: (3-Star Rivals) [Bellflower, CA] Son of former rap artist Nate Dog, Naijiel Hale has recently blown up on the recruiting scene. And he has taken a liking to Nebraska. While he doesn't have Westphal's size he has elite athleticism (think Alfonzo Dennard) and can jump out of the building. Hale had a great visit with Terry Joseph last week and even appeared on Lincoln's ESPN recruiting show (blue chip recruiting show) this past Wednesday.

Logan Cheadle: 3-Star: [Lee's Summit, MO] Lee's Summit is churning out it's fair share of D-1 talent this season and Cheadle is no exception. He's a local talent that could really blossom with the right coaching. Considering Nerbaska is probably going to take 3 to 4 CBs in this class he would be one to take a shot at for sure.

Other names to note: Adarius Picket, Tony Brown, Andre Maloney, Anthony Davis, Justin Jackson

S

1. T'Kevian Rockwell: 4-Star: [Wylie, TX] Rockwell made a name for himself as an OLB in the state of Texas but Nebraska is looking at him as a Safety. Nebraska took 3 safeties in the 2013 class (Nate Gerry, DJ Singleton, Drake Matinez) but will be looking to add at least one more in this class. Rockwell could be that guy. He's versatile, hits hard and fearless. If need been he could slide down to LB in a pinch.

Montae Nicholson: 4-Star: [Monroeville, PA] Nicholson is an ATH but is being recruited as a safety to Nebraska. He was really excited about his offer early on but things have cooled off lately. If Nebraska wants him, they need to go get him. He's a real talent, and has the size to be a difference maker in the run game as well as man up against TEs in the passing game.

Other names to note: Steven Parker, Marcus Allen, Jason Hall, RaShaan Gaulden

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff, Nut. I appreciate these.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks, Nut.. great list here

Hirschfeld and Newell are probably atop my WANT list

Also, every time I see "Nate Gerry, DJ Singleton, Drake Martinez" I smile a little.. great class full of SPEED at Safety last year

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks, Nut.. great list here

Hirschfeld and Newell are probably atop my WANT list

Also, every time I see "Nate Gerry, DJ Singleton, Drake Martinez" I smile a little.. great class full of SPEED at Safety last year

Truth! Hirschfield is a very very underrated player, could project to offense as well, but we're recruiting him as a strong side DE. Newell is a must get in this class. I also think Nebraska will have to go hard after a JUCO DB, OL, and DT.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be surprised with 2 JUCO DT's myself.. we could use the DB for sure

Hirschfeld looks like a 5* talent to me.. highly underrated

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be surprised with 2 JUCO DT's myself.. we could use the DB for sure

Hirschfeld looks like a 5* talent to me.. highly underrated

Don't know about 5*, that's really high praise, not sure he would come in and dominate right away, but 4* for sure.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, rating services are a funny business.. a 5* to me is a future stud, doesn't mean he needs to dominate as a true frosh

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see us raiding the juco nation for DT we need help ASAP. At this point we just need healthy bodies and depth. I've heard were also hitting the ground hard for cb's didn't realize we lose so many next year.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where I can see Jackson moving back down to corner. Good thing we nabbed Rose otherwise the cupboard would start to look a little bare.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where I can see Jackson moving back down to corner. Good thing we nabbed Rose otherwise the cupboard would start to look a little bare.

Yep definitely need a lot of CBs in this class... lose SJB, Andrew Green, Ciante Evans, Mo Seisay... that's a lot. I've heard really good things about Rose and Daniel Davie... Josh Mitchell will be back as well and Boaz Joseph will be a RS-Fr... but we need bodies at CB and I think they'd rather not move Jackson back.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson gonna stay at safety chatter around spring was how they love him at the safety spot. I think he could play the ole peso spot Eric hagg played. But I don't see him going to cb bc cooper n Harvey jackson will be also leaving soon.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson gonna stay at safety chatter around spring was how they love him at the safety spot. I think he could play the ole peso spot Eric hagg played. But I don't see him going to cb bc cooper n Harvey jackson will be also leaving soon.

from what i've heard... don't be surprised if Charles Jackson is starting opposite Corey Cooper by B1G play at the safety spot.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from what i've heard... don't be surprised if Charles Jackson is starting opposite Corey Cooper by B1G play at the safety spot.

Wouldn't surprise me they kept talking about him a lot Harvey and Corey better watch out.

Did anybody see the auburn db layout his wr out in the spring game. Apparently he got flag and ejected tho he didn't lead with helmet. Similar to the bell hit in big ten champ game

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Green is a good kid, but he sucks.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Green is a good kid, but he sucks.

:agree:

Good kid tho. But he gets picked on a lot by qbs which happens when they see his weakness

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bumping this in light of the recent Jason Hall commitment... he was #3 on my board for safeties but since i think our shot at Nicholson is bleak at best. Means we get one of our top targets. look for Oklahoma, Ole Miss etc... to offer soon. We'll have to stay on him to keep him. He's a senior evaluation guy.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ Stewart just got an offer from Nebraska. He is really really good and from Yorktown, VA. No. 23 Safety on 247 and one of the top guys out of Virginia this year. He also has offers from MD, UNC, Virginia Tech, UVA, BC, WVU et al. Everything I have heard on him has been positive as a player and a person and our insider (guy who got a gig with 247) has seen him quite a bit and interviewed him often. He is a it hard to read but his leaders before this offer and a couple others appeared to be UNC, Maryland and Virginia Tech in no particular order. I am sure Nebraska must intrigue him and will pass along anything I hear.

http://247sports.com/Player/MJ-Stewart-20980

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until there is an elite DT on board, the rest of these guys are just fodder for running around with their hands up in the air looking toward the sideline.