• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NE receives 33rd comp pick in 2016 draft

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick placement isn't in question given the guys they lost, more about why did they go over their limit of 32?

Like I said, lots of changes last year to how FA works. Or that there was literally a tie in the compensatory calculation and two picks were given. Makes a lot more sense.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why though? It sounds like the dumbest possible way to help out NE. Like of all the potential ways to do that, this is the one?

Seriously look at it for 5 seconds. If you were going to do that, pay off the Cap/Comp guys to falsify their results, why not just not give Pitt the 32nd and give that one to NE instead, or give NE a higher pick if you really want to do something? And IF you were, again you are talking about either the Commish going over to the group that handles the cap/comp stuff and forcing them to do this, or them doing it on their own. It's like all the risk and zero reward. It makes no logical sense to do that. It makes much more sense that while the NFL owners passed the regulations to be allowed to trade those picks, other changes were made too.

This is one of those like when you see a new rule and people bash Goodell for that, and it's like they don't realize that Goodell enforces that new rule but it came about from the competition committee and was voted on by the owners and his part in it is just the publicly announcing or backing it part.

I mean, last year was the first off-season where UFA's signed between May 13 and Jun 1 would NOT qualify as CFA's. It's the first off-season where 1st round picks could have their 5th year options declined. And you had an outlier incident in Buffalo with Charles Clay and the transition tag signing which threw a wrench into whether or not he was a free agent addition for them or not, which really changes up their scenario's (and odd as it appears they did not treat him as a FA loss).

To me, any of those makes sense for a change to the system a LOT better than the group that does the comp picks taking payoffs from the Commish to get NE one extra one. And if I wanted to cheat and risk my own career to help the Patriots, and put together a list how, this has to be outside of the top 100 idea's.
I did look at it for 5 minutes, looked at it longer even.
I don't know why they did it or if it was a way to give back the pick taken due to deflate gate.

What I do know is the CBA, you know the "Collective Bargaining Agreement" states there will be UP TO 32 picks awarded. I read that as 32 is the cut off, meaning 33 could NOT be awarded.
I do know in no previous year dud the league award more than 32 comp picks.
I do know NE was awarded the very first 33rd pick ever handed out, a pick that looks to be in violation of the CBA.
Again I don't know why, I don't know if it's Roger trying to be friends with Kraft again, and I don't know if the Pats had any say so in the matter.

But to me it smells fishy. If you can't see that you are the one who is retarded. Oh and another thing to correct about a mistake you made earlier. The final comp pick isn't Mr. Irrelevant, the final comp pick is at the end of the 6th round not the 7th.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC tampers with Maclin and loses two draft picks. The Jets tamper with Revis and get a $100,000 fine. Can anyone explain this? No wonder KC is threatening to take Goodell and the NFL to court. Don't they know that Roger Goodell works for the NY Jets first and has a part time job as NFL Commissioner. He must never have resigned as the ANYJ (Attorney New York Jets).

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did look at it for 5 minutes, looked at it longer even.
I don't know why they did it or if it was a way to give back the pick taken due to deflate gate.

What I do know is the CBA, you know the "Collective Bargaining Agreement" states there will be UP TO 32 picks awarded. I read that as 32 is the cut off, meaning 33 could NOT be awarded.
I do know in no previous year dud the league award more than 32 comp picks.
I do know NE was awarded the very first 33rd pick ever handed out, a pick that looks to be in violation of the CBA.
Again I don't know why, I don't know if it's Roger trying to be friends with Kraft again, and I don't know if the Pats had any say so in the matter.

But to me it smells fishy. If you can't see that you are the one who is retarded. Oh and another thing to correct about a mistake you made earlier. The final comp pick isn't Mr. Irrelevant, the final comp pick is at the end of the 6th round not the 7th.

Yeah a lot of people who do the comp pick calculations have no idea what is going on.

Remember though: the comp selection process is secret. And the CBA actually doesn't say 32 selections:

The Draft shall consist of seven rounds, with each round consisting of the same number of selection choices as there will be Clubs in the NFL the following League Year, plus a maximum number of additional Compensatory Draft Selections equal to the number of Clubs then in the League, with such Compensatory Draft Selections reserved for Clubs losing certain Unrestricted Free Agents. Each Draft shall be held between February 14 and June 2, on a date which shall be determined by the Commissioner.

The key phrase there is maximum number of addition comp selections. It doesn't stipulate 32 like the other rounds.

The guess right now is that there is something in the comp pick formula that we can't see that determines how many draft picks are given. And there is a 2nd guess that the reason they did it is because without doing so the rookie draft pool (ie the money) wouldn't be large enough.

But really until the NFL comes out with why they had 33 instead of 32, it really is all just speculation.

It's actually an interesting angle too when you view it from the standpoint of the CBA. Is that extra pick a good thing (more money into the pool) or a bad thing (one player doesn't get the freedom of shopping their services around and make a decision based on what is best for him)? Hard to say which way they would come down on.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC tampers with Maclin and loses two draft picks. The Jets tamper with Revis and get a $100,000 fine. Can anyone explain this? No wonder KC is threatening to take Goodell and the NFL to court. Don't they know that Roger Goodell works for the NY Jets first and has a part time job as NFL Commissioner. He must never have resigned as the ANYJ (Attorney New York Jets).

The Jet's made a public comment about a player. KC made illegal contact with the player prior to the proper negotiating window opening up. It's a gigantic difference.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't smell fishy to me.

Upside.. You make an owner slightly less pissed, but it's just about a worthless repayment. It's like totaling a buddies classic Mustang and buying him a scooter as repayment.

Downside..

You now have done something very public that has cheated the rules, you've involved the entire cap office in your cheating and have 31 owners pissed at you. This is one of the easiest ways to ensure you lose your job and guaranteed salary. You don't really make Kraft any happier. You have piles of people now who can out you.

I can't make that reasoning sensible. Maybe it is just people don't do sensible things. People throw their jobs away to smoke pot in the NFL. Maybe that is the kind of idiots that run the league and that those billionaire businessmen pick to run their investment.

And sorry Manster... I didn't mean to call you retarded for thinking it. I meant that Goodell is retarded if he thinks that would be a good option. My apologies for making that personal.

I am curious as to why though. I have a buddy who's a pretty well connected NFL sportswriter I just asked about it, he says he'll get back to me, usually he's 50/50 when he says that lol. If he tells me anything I'll get back with you.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grr tried two guys I know. 1 basically said it's a long boring explanation but he does know why and it isn't foul play. Wish I had something better right now, but I will say he's written some pretty negative articles on Goodell (not the kind to cover for him or lose a story for him), but he does work for NFL.com as well lol.

I can understand if that isn't good enough for the conspiracy theorists, but it is for me. Still curious as to the reason though, I'll keep begging the other guy who I know better.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't smell fishy to me.

Upside.. You make an owner slightly less pissed, but it's just about a worthless repayment. It's like totaling a buddies classic Mustang and buying him a scooter as repayment.

Downside..

You now have done something very public that has cheated the rules, you've involved the entire cap office in your cheating and have 31 owners pissed at you. This is one of the easiest ways to ensure you lose your job and guaranteed salary. You don't really make Kraft any happier. You have piles of people now who can out you.

I can't make that reasoning sensible. Maybe it is just people don't do sensible things. People throw their jobs away to smoke pot in the NFL. Maybe that is the kind of idiots that run the league and that those billionaire businessmen pick to run their investment.

And sorry Manster... I didn't mean to call you retarded for thinking it. I meant that Goodell is retarded if he thinks that would be a good option. My apologies for making that personal.

I am curious as to why though. I have a buddy who's a pretty well connected NFL sportswriter I just asked about it, he says he'll get back to me, usually he's 50/50 when he says that lol. If he tells me anything I'll get back with you.

Its, all good. Like I said when I first saw that 33 comp picks were given out vs. the customary 32, I said that's odd, but I didn't care enough to see what team benefited from it. When it was brought up here it was NE that made the story a little more interesting because of 1. The pick they lost. 2 Goodell and Krafts broken friendship, and three all the BS that has surrounded NE over the last 15 or so years.
Again I don't know if any improper is in play, but recent history of all involved makes for good conversation.
I will admit I was wrong about the CBA saying only 32 comp picks will be awarded, I got that from NFL.com "Rules of the Draft" and assumed they got their info from the CBA.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its, all good. Like I said when I first saw that 33 comp picks were given out vs. the customary 32, I said that's odd, but I didn't care enough to see what team benefited from it. When it was brought up here it was NE that made the story a little more interesting because of 1. The pick they lost. 2 Goodell and Krafts broken friendship, and three all the BS that has surrounded NE over the last 15 or so years.
Again I don't know if any improper is in play, but recent history of all involved makes for good conversation.
I will admit I was wrong about the CBA saying only 32 comp picks will be awarded, I got that from NFL.com "Rules of the Draft" and assumed they got their info from the CBA.

Yeah it just seems like a really dumb and visible way if that was his goal. Still no word back on that from my writer buddy or the other writer. Guess he's having a busy day trying to keep up with FA.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it just seems like a really dumb and visible way if that was his goal. Still no word back on that from my writer buddy or the other writer. Guess he's having a busy day trying to keep up with FA.
Considering who's involved, even if it 33 were awarded because of a tie, they'd have been better off telling NE sorry you were 33 so no soup for you. Any other team, and no one really cares.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering who's involved, even if it 33 were awarded because of a tie, they'd have been better off telling NE sorry you were 33 so no soup for you. Any other team, and no one really cares.

Doesn't sound like it was that even. Sounds like something else which is really boring and difficult to understand from what I got.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the NFL, so who knows. We all know they make shit up on the field weekly.

Yeah not going off the NFL on that, just what a writer was saying who said he did know the reason. I am really curious on it though.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea, but...for the first time there were at least 32 comp picks in the first 6 rounds, in fact 33 this year. So somehow a decision was made to grant all teams with a 6 round comp pick or better to receive one?

This will be the first time since the system began that there has not been a comp pick after the 7th round.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a slight oceanic fragrance.

But it for sure tastes like chicken.

Ok got an answer from the writer buddy... From the NFL

"The CBA limits the number of compensatory picks to the number of teams in the league. Under the terms of an agreement between the NFL Management Council and the NFLPA, a 33rd compensatory selection was authorized for 2016.

The additional pick was allocated to Buffalo as the final selection of the 4th round. Last year, Buffalo executed an offer sheet with Miami's transition player, which Miami declined to match. Buffalo then signed the player and, consistent with past practice, was charged with a compensatory free agent gained. As a result, Buffalo's net loss position was reduced, and the club relenquished a 4th round selection to which it would otherwise have been entitled.

By agreement, Buffalo's 4th round selection was restored by adding a 33rd compensatory choice to this years draft. No club that was entitled to receive a compensatory pick prior to the addition of the 33rd pick lost it's selection. Nor will any club's selection be relegated to a lower round as the result of the additional pick. "

So the Charles Clay transition tag created the situation, NFL and NFLPA decided not to cut a top 32 pick because of that. Buffalo was the lucky winner. Pats didn't get screwed out of their pick because Buffalo got an outside the norm situation.