• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NE receives 33rd comp pick in 2016 draft

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traded and/or cut players do not count towards comp picks.
according to this NFL ANNOUNCES 33 COMPENSATORY DRAFT CHOICES TO 13 CLUBS

NEW ENGLAND Lost: Akeem Ayers, Brandon Browner, Jonathan Casillas, Darrelle Revis, Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Vince Wilfork

A total of 33 compensatory choices in the 2016 NFL Draft have been awarded to 13 teams, the NFL announced today.

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through sixth rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

Compensatory picks may not be traded this year.A rule change approved by clubs in 2015 will permit compensatory draft picks to be traded beginning in 2017.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council.Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Cowboys/pats/niners all have 4 picks:suds:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Traded and/or cut players do not count towards comp picks.

New England gamed the system last year where all of those players had options that weren't picked up rather than were cut.

It is a loophole the NFL needs to fix. If the originating team has the ability to retain the player and chooses not to, they should not get awarded a comp pick. In the case of Revis, Wilfork and Browner, New England could have picked up their options and retained their services. That is the same thing as cutting a player and it should be reflected in the future in the draft comp picks formula.

Last edited:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New England gamed the system last year where all of those players had options that weren't picked up rather than were cut.

It is a loophole the NFL needs to fix. If the originating team has the ability to retain the player and chooses not to, they should not get awarded a comp pick. In the case of Revis, Wilfork and Browner, New England could have picked up their options and retained their services. That is the same thing as cutting a player and it should be reflected in the future in the draft comp picks formula.
BB was overheard saying to the NFL Executives "chess anyone", as he walked away laughing at them one more time.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there anything actually saying that there were 32 picks and a 33rd was given to NE? I am not finding that part of this.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there anything actually saying that there were 32 picks and a 33rd was given to NE? I am not finding that part of this.

Well they received the very last Comp Pick of any handed out.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, and the cutoff is 32, so I would assume we are seeing a tie in value of the 32nd comp pick awarded, (my guess is the loss of Akeem Ayers of NE and Brice McCain of Pitt). Not sure if it was a coin flip or how they do equal value ties, but NE got screwed and Pitt got the better of the two picks?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or could it be due to the high number of draft picks lost? ATL, KC and NE all had picks taken away in this draft.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well every year prior the league awarded 32 picks. New England was in fact awarded the the VERY FIRST 33rd pick.
Now I know you are a NE Homer and will ask for PROOF the league acted improper, but us normal folks see through the bull shit.
Rules, Formula Explanation and Latest Projections for Compensatory Picks

Edit: I thought you were a NE homer because you post was classic NE HOMER.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or possibly since Kansas City's tampering
Well every year prior the league awarded 32 picks. New England was in fact awarded the the VERY FIRST 33rd pick.
Now I know you are a NE Homer and will ask for PROOF the league acted improper, but us normal folks see through the bull shit.
Rules, Formula Explanation and Latest Projections for Compensatory Picks

Edit: I thought you were a NE homer because you post was classic NE HOMER.

Seriously... You think someone isn't taking the conspiracy theory that the NFL loves the Patriots (which makes zero sense), and therefore they are a NE homer? Honestly, with zero reasoning that is what you jump to. I really don't know the reason.

And yes. If YOU are going to make the claim of this.. THEN THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS ON YOU! It's hilarious because my friends who are Patriot fans think I am a Patriot hater because of my views on their past cheating. Not a homer, just not anti-NE to the point to see something have NO FACT AT ALL ON IT, and make a fucking retarded jump that NE is getting a handout from the NFL and is really fucking psyched to have the goddamn Mr Irrelevant pick. That makes it all better. The guy you'd probably get as a UDFA anyways, but now you are guaranteeing him a contract.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or possibly since Kansas City's tampering

Seriously... You think someone isn't taking the conspiracy theory that the NFL loves the Patriots (which makes zero sense), and therefore they are a NE homer? Honestly, with zero reasoning that is what you jump to. I really don't know the reason.

And yes. If YOU are going to make the claim of this.. THEN THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS ON YOU! It's hilarious because my friends who are Patriot fans think I am a Patriot hater because of my views on their past cheating. Not a homer, just not anti-NE to the point to see something have NO FACT AT ALL ON IT, and make a fucking retarded jump that NE is getting a handout from the NFL and is really fucking psyched to have the goddamn Mr Irrelevant pick. That makes it all better. The guy you'd probably get as a UDFA anyways, but now you are guaranteeing him a contract.

Up until this thread I had no idea NE got the 33rd comp pick, but when I first read that the league awarded 33 instead of 32 I said hmmmmm. Every other year the league gave out 32, why 33 this year.
Oh by the way the CBA states upto 32 compensatory picks CAN be awarded.

The Rules of the Draft | NFL Football Operations

Under the terms of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, the league also can assign as many as 32 additional “compensatory free agent” picks, which allow clubs that have lost free agents to another team to use the draft to try to fill the void. The awarded picks take place at the end of the third through seventh round.

Now no I don't know if therequired were improper actions here, but you have to see its is quite possible.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up until this thread I had no idea NE got the 33rd comp pick, but when I first read that the league awarded 33 instead of 32 I said hmmmmm. Every other year the league gave out 32, why 33 this year.
Oh by the way the CBA states upto 32 compensatory picks CAN be awarded.

The Rules of the Draft | NFL Football Operations

Under the terms of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, the league also can assign as many as 32 additional “compensatory free agent” picks, which allow clubs that have lost free agents to another team to use the draft to try to fill the void. The awarded picks take place at the end of the third through seventh round.

Now no I don't know if therequired were improper actions here, but you have to see its is quite possible.

Why though? It sounds like the dumbest possible way to help out NE. Like of all the potential ways to do that, this is the one?

Seriously look at it for 5 seconds. If you were going to do that, pay off the Cap/Comp guys to falsify their results, why not just not give Pitt the 32nd and give that one to NE instead, or give NE a higher pick if you really want to do something? And IF you were, again you are talking about either the Commish going over to the group that handles the cap/comp stuff and forcing them to do this, or them doing it on their own. It's like all the risk and zero reward. It makes no logical sense to do that. It makes much more sense that while the NFL owners passed the regulations to be allowed to trade those picks, other changes were made too.

This is one of those like when you see a new rule and people bash Goodell for that, and it's like they don't realize that Goodell enforces that new rule but it came about from the competition committee and was voted on by the owners and his part in it is just the publicly announcing or backing it part.

I mean, last year was the first off-season where UFA's signed between May 13 and Jun 1 would NOT qualify as CFA's. It's the first off-season where 1st round picks could have their 5th year options declined. And you had an outlier incident in Buffalo with Charles Clay and the transition tag signing which threw a wrench into whether or not he was a free agent addition for them or not, which really changes up their scenario's (and odd as it appears they did not treat him as a FA loss).

To me, any of those makes sense for a change to the system a LOT better than the group that does the comp picks taking payoffs from the Commish to get NE one extra one. And if I wanted to cheat and risk my own career to help the Patriots, and put together a list how, this has to be outside of the top 100 idea's.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick placement isn't in question given the guys they lost, more about why did they go over their limit of 32?