• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ND vs UMass Pre Game Thread:

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. It needs to be a COMPLETE game. Domination. No letting off the gas either on offense or defense. If we want to challenge for a playoff berth, we not only need to keep winning, but dominate teams we are supposed to dominate.

Totally with you on the injury part. I'm actually surprised we didn't have a major defensive injury from the option led GT. We usually leave the Navy game with multiple injuries on D.
Yeah, until this dumass ...

<iframe src=""

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least that injury didn't happen via cut block. Not that it makes me better about his injury. I was just very very fearful about the option attack getting our defenders hurt.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wimbush has to play against Umass
Was screaming the entire 6 and a half minutes that the D needed to get off the field so Wimbush could get some quality reps. Not just handing the ball off or taking a knee. Actual plays. He needs to be ready in case something happens to Kizer.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wimbush has to play against Umass. No way he will be able to keep his red-shirt the whole year. He would have to come in for the littlest thing like if Kizer lost his helmet on a play. Does this mean Malik can get a medical redshirt? Can you give another red-shirt to someone that already had one?

You can only get a 6th year if 2 were lost due to injury. Grace might qualify for a 6th year, Zaire would not be eligible for a 6th.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was screaming the entire 6 and a half minutes that the D needed to get off the field so Wimbush could get some quality reps. Not just handing the ball off or taking a knee. Actual plays. He needs to be ready in case something happens to Kizer.
lol ... shoulda heard my brother. He was going off and absolutely apeshit on Paul Johnson keeping the ball outta Wimbush's hands when Tech was 'trying to get back in the game'! :rolleyes2:

Holy shyt, I dunno why I go over there on game days when we're not at the game. He's totally diff inside the stadium.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably b/c he skerred of all those old ass ushers.
Yeah, them 'ol coots with their stoopit "SIT DOWN, KEEP QUIET AND ENJOY THE GAME". Gawwwwd. :gaah:

Wonder what the qualifications are to get a gig like that? I'm sure 'alumship' has some play in it.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they actually ask you to be quiet?! When I went for my one and only football game ever we had scalped Rutgers tickets so we sat in the Endzone above the tunnel and they were fairly raucous. But I did remember thinking to myself, man these folks don't get nuts like some teams' fans do. I get being quiet while we're on offense and goin nuts in between play-end and huddle, but on Defense that house should be rockin. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it does, but mostly from the student section. I was hoarse after the game from yellin my arse off.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Hayes just tweeted he is leaving ND after we win a National Championship. He said coaches stopped coaching him and he is out of here.

Not good and not smart on his end.

Whoa, where'd this come from? Any specifics? Too low on depth chart? Not taking 'coaching' and then coppin a 'tude? What gives here?!

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they actually ask you to be quiet?! When I went for my one and only football game ever we had scalped Rutgers tickets so we sat in the Endzone above the tunnel and they were fairly raucous. But I did remember thinking to myself, man these folks don't get nuts like some teams' fans do. I get being quiet while we're on offense and goin nuts in between play-end and huddle, but on Defense that house should be rockin. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it does, but mostly from the student section. I was hoarse after the game from yellin my arse off.

I've gone to every home game for the last 9 years, (and many more in the 20 years prior to that) I've spent a lot of time standing, and spent a lot of time yelling as loudly as I can. I have never been asked to sit down (by an usher or other fan) or asked to be quiet. I don't have season tickets, so I've probably had seats in almost every section in the stadium lower level and upper level, and no one has ever asked me to sit down or be quiet. It could be because I probably look (and act) like a lunatic when I'm standing during the games, so they might be scared. But I just wanted to go on record with that. Oh and just to clarify, I've never asked anyone to sit down or shut up either.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Hayes just tweeted he is leaving ND after we win a National Championship. He said coaches stopped coaching him and he is out of here.

Not good and not smart on his end.

That is interesting I can't believe they stopped coaching him with the potential for any player to get injured he must be angry about a lack of playing time and a true freshman jumping him on the depth chart as well as a kid recruited in the same cycle as him.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've gone to every home game for the last 9 years, (and many more in the 20 years prior to that) I've spent a lot of time standing, and spent a lot of time yelling as loudly as I can. I have never been asked to sit down (by an usher or other fan) or asked to be quiet. I don't have season tickets, so I've probably had seats in almost every section in the stadium lower level and upper level, and no one has ever asked me to sit down or be quiet. It could be because I probably look (and act) like a lunatic when I'm standing during the games, so they might be scared. But I just wanted to go on record with that. Oh and just to clarify, I've never asked anyone to sit down or shut up either.

That's good. It isn't the first time I've heard about Irish fans being 'quiet' though. I qualify that as "some" Irish fans, probably the ones who've had season tickets for 40 years. I can't expect a bunch of old fogeys to jump and shout, they'd probably bust a hip or tear an ACL like some of our players after celebrating. While I'm certainly compassionate about Tranquil's injury, I do very much hate the jump-bump. Plenty of other ways to celebrate.

As an aside, I wonder if there's any correlation to what admittedly is a perceived increase in injury on my part; to the change to turf over grass at ND Stadium? Of course Zaire wasn't at Home for his injury, does UVA play on grass or turf? Not that I think the turf had much to do with his injury, that just looked like a scrum where weight distribution did not favor Malik and his ankle gave. But for Folston and Tranquil... ?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wimbush has to play against Umass. No way he will be able to keep his red-shirt the whole year. He would have to come in for the littlest thing like if Kizer lost his helmet on a play. Does this mean Malik can get a medical redshirt? Can you give another red-shirt to someone that already had one?
Yes he can, Kelly already mention it in the show. He has 2 years with ND now. Wimbush will get his redshirt next year.

Very interesting thing: If ND some how wins it all or even makes the playoffs or wins a big bowl game will there be a QB Comp next year between MK and Kizer and if not would Kizer leave knowing what he just did.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's good. It isn't the first time I've heard about Irish fans being 'quiet' though. I qualify that as "some" Irish fans, probably the ones who've had season tickets for 40 years. I can't expect a bunch of old fogeys to jump and shout, they'd probably bust a hip or tear an ACL like some of our players after celebrating. While I'm certainly compassionate about Tranquil's injury, I do very much hate the jump-bump. Plenty of other ways to celebrate.

As an aside, I wonder if there's any correlation to what admittedly is a perceived increase in injury on my part; to the change to turf over grass at ND Stadium? Of course Zaire wasn't at Home for his injury, does UVA play on grass or turf? Not that I think the turf had much to do with his injury, that just looked like a scrum where weight distribution did not favor Malik and his ankle gave. But for Folston and Tranquil... ?

I want to say great post. That 2nd part of it is very interesting. In a way I forgot about that. I do think the Turf is the problem with these injuries. They should go back to grass. They have stats on stuff like this and if I remember injuries on Turf vs Grass: Turf has twice as many injuries on it.

back to Tranquils injury I agree with you. I don't feel bad for him because he did it to himself but I hope he comes back stronger and learns from it. I hate that jump bump. 2nd time I saw someone get hurt from that. Last year an NFL player got hurt. Another thing about this injury is the kid just came back from an ACL tear and he should know better. I know it was the other leg but still. stay on your feet.

Lets see if these kids learn anything from this. I hope we don't see any of those celebrations this week.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was Prosise in maybe the Texas game that I saw it, but I'm curious now if he does this on every score, but he did not engage in the "jump-bump". He handed the ball to the official and did some hugging/high-five'n.

Kinda makes you wonder if he's just a little more aware or just less exuberant and/or both?

Yes indeedy, hoping for a no-injury game this weekend, well every weekend but we know that can't be the case, odds and reality and all. You know it's funny too because for years we'd been accused of letting the grass grow or just not get cut before certain games where maybe the opposition had the edge in speed. I do not doubt those accusations, but what I find curious and interesting is how under Kelly we've recruited some speed and seem 'speedier' as a team on the whole. Is it the turf though or is it a bit of both? Question-wonder...

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he can, Kelly already mention it in the show. He has 2 years with ND now. Wimbush will get his redshirt next year.

Very interesting thing: If ND some how wins it all or even makes the playoffs or wins a big bowl game will there be a QB Comp next year between MK and Kizer and if not would Kizer leave knowing what he just did.

What did Kelly say about a redshirt for Zaire? With respect to Wimbush getting a redshirt next year, I'm not sure he wouldn't pass Kizer next year, or even later this year. He was very highly rated, and everthing I read about him says that he has a ton of talent. He's only been on campus for 2 months, I'd like to see a full blown competetion next year between the three of them.

If Kizer were to transfer, he would only have 2 years of eligibility left.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In my opinion ND stadium is quieter than many others for two main reasons. The first reason is the shape of the stadium. As a bowl it, along with Michigan and the Rose Bowl tend to allow the noise to escape up and not echo off the various decks. Just the additional structure already on the stadium has already made the games this year a lot louder. Just like it did with the renovations to Michigan's stadium a few years ago.

The second reason is that the student section at ND stadium is only about 10% of the stadium's capacity. Two years ago, Bill Obrien was talking about the crowd at a Penn State game and noted that the crowd of over 100,000 was made up of more than 1/3 students. For ND to get that, we would need the undergrad population to go from 8,000 to 26,000. That's not happening. I don't know of any other stadiums where the undergraduate student population is about 10% of the stadium. (I'm sure that there are some, but I doubt they are known for the noise they generate).

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did Kelly say about a redshirt for Zaire? With respect to Wimbush getting a redshirt next year, I'm not sure he wouldn't pass Kizer next year, or even later this year. He was very highly rated, and everthing I read about him says that he has a ton of talent. He's only been on campus for 2 months, I'd like to see a full blown competetion next year between the three of them.

If Kizer were to transfer, he would only have 2 years of eligibility left.
MZ would get a medical redshirt. It will be interesting if Kizer has a good year or imagine he the one that wins a NC for us. How don't you start Kizer next year............ Yes I know getting way ahead of my self. These are just BIG IF's. I mean lets think about this one lets say Kizer at least takes us to the playoffs or Big bowl game how the hell do we make him 3rd string next year. He would have to transfer unless he knows what an ND education would do for him.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MZ would get a medical redshirt. It will be interesting if Kizer has a good year or imagine he the one that wins a NC for us. How don't you start Kizer next year............ Yes I know getting way ahead of my self. These are just BIG IF's. I mean lets think about this one lets say Kizer at least takes us to the playoffs or Big bowl game how the hell do we make him 3rd string next year. He would have to transfer unless he knows what an ND education would do for him.

He may be able to get a medical redshirt, but he's already used a redshirt season, so with or without this year being a medical redshirt, Zaire only has two more years of eligibility remaining.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stat: Coach Brian Kelly is 16-1 at Notre Dame when starting a frosh or red-shirt frosh quarterback