• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ND vs UMass Pre Game Thread:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets Go ND. This can be a trap game. We need to do what we do well and we should be ok. In a Perfect world its a blow out some of the young guys get in to get experience and we walk away with 0 injuries.

Lets not under estimate UMass. an Given sat a team can win. They have a very good WR. They are a passing team. Run game not great. If we can get pressure on their QB we should be fine.

Prediction: ND 37 and UMass 13 ( I would like to see No TD's by UMass)

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this will be a trap game because Kizer, Wimbush and the freshman running backs all need to get reps. This is an important tuneup for Clemson, and I think everyone will take this as a serious opportunity to expand the playbook that we utilized against GT. Without all the injuries this could fall into the trap game category, but hopefully Kelly can convince the team that this is actually an important opportunity.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love the see them run with the young kids. Get them some reps and let CJ rest a little. They are going to need him. No reason that our OL cannot dominate and we rush for over 200. Going to be nice getting Max back before the Clemson game.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I certainly would like to see that too, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Wimbush was warming up with less than 5 to go and then couldn't even get in because of... (insert your reason here).

I'll be satisfied with a W and not one single injury, not even a broken fingernail.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think one of the other RBs need to step up. CJ needs some help. Release some of the carries.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think it might have been the pressure of the game and potency of GT's offense that led to the Double A's not getting many reps? Or was it more their perceived lack of experience at certain protections? This week should be a lot less dangerous in terms of potential to be outplayed/beaten, I fully expect to see them get more reps, but we know Kelly's teams have had trouble putting teams away by halftime.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect UMass to be as bad as many think. I would expect a score along the lines of 31-14. Based on the fact that we are looking to get reps for Kizer, Wimbush and the running backs. I also don't think we want to show everything we have to Clemson, so I expect to see a pretty vanilla offense and defense. Hopefully that is all we need against UMass.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think it might have been the pressure of the game and potency of GT's offense that led to the Double A's not getting many reps? Or was it more their perceived lack of experience at certain protections? This week should be a lot less dangerous in terms of potential to be outplayed/beaten, I fully expect to see them get more reps, but we know Kelly's teams have had trouble putting teams away by halftime.
Yes I agree, I think Kelly knew they had to win that game and had to play the Vets more. This week is the week we see some of the young guys. i think we will St E play, both RBs will get some time and maybe some others. I think we will even see Wimbush play. I understand we need to give Wimbush some reps but why not try and go through the season not using him so we save his redshirt.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect UMass to be as bad as many think. I would expect a score along the lines of 31-14. Based on the fact that we are looking to get reps for Kizer, Wimbush and the running backs. I also don't think we want to show everything we have to Clemson, so I expect to see a pretty vanilla offense and defense. Hopefully that is all we need against UMass.
This is another true statement. We don't want to show too much to #11Clemson. I know ESPN hates #6 ND but if both teams win any shot of ND getting game day. Other Big games: #3Ole Miss vs Florida, #16 Arizona vs #21 Stanford, #12 Bama vs #7 Georgia(only game I see beating Clemson vs ND).

1 more thing is OSU going to play anyone? No way they should be #1.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I agree, I think Kelly knew they had to win that game and had to play the Vets more. This week is the week we see some of the young guys. i think we will St E play, both RBs will get some time and maybe some others. I think we will even see Wimbush play. I understand we need to give Wimbush some reps but why not try and go through the season not using him so we save his redshirt.

I think you have to have a backup QB with some experience. I understand wanting to preserve a year for Wimbush, but having to put him in against SC (because Kizer turns an ankle) or Stanford with absolutely no reps under his belt would be a disaster. This is too important a year for us. We will probably lose Stanley, Jaylon Smith, Fuller, Sheldon Day, Kevaire Russell, Schmidt and maybe even Prosise after this year. Preserving anything for next year makes no sense to me.

We have a chance to go to the playoff. It can be done with a quality 3rd string QB as we saw last year. I think Wimbush is really good, and could actually be a better option than Kizer. But the main point is that I think everything is set up for this year. I think we should go all in. Worry about next year next year. We have had too many 5 loss seasons, let's go all out.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to have a backup QB with some experience. I understand wanting to preserve a year for Wimbush, but having to put him in against SC (because Kizer turns an ankle) or Stanford with absolutely no reps under his belt would be a disaster. This is too important a year for us. We will probably lose Stanley, Jaylon Smith, Fuller, Sheldon Day, Kevaire Russell, Schmidt and maybe even Prosise after this year. Preserving anything for next year makes no sense to me.

We have a chance to go to the playoff. It can be done with a quality 3rd string QB as we saw last year. I think Wimbush is really good, and could actually be a better option than Kizer. But the main point is that I think everything is set up for this year. I think we should go all in. Worry about next year next year. We have had too many 5 loss seasons, let's go all out.
I agree next year will be tough. Out all the names u mention only Fuller might stay. Even though I think Fuller is Top 3 WR in the country some still has him as a Late 1st to 2nd rd pick. He comes back next year he is a top 15 pick. I don't think he is a rush to get paid. His family seems like they are ok. So coming back would benefit his draft status. All other names are Sr's. Also don't for get about martin. A lot of turn over next year.

Oh yeah max is gone to.

Last edited:

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is another true statement. We don't want to show too much to #11Clemson. I know ESPN hates #6 ND but if both teams win any shot of ND getting game day. Other Big games: #3Ole Miss vs Florida, #16 Arizona vs #21 Stanford, #12 Bama vs #7 Georgia(only game I see beating Clemson vs ND).

1 more thing is OSU going to play anyone? No way they should be #1.

LOL yea ESPN loves to hate-on ND. It's not even subtle as far as I'm concerned. I'll be curious, they had game-day in Tuscaloosa for their loss just this last week so going back in two is not likely, the SEC Bias hatred would flow like the dark side through Vader and you know they're all about being subtle about that... :heh:

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree next year will be tough. Out all the names u mention only Fuller might stay. Even though I think Fuller is Top 3 WR in the country some still has him as a Late 1st to 2nd rd pick. He comes back next year he is a top 15 pick. I don't think he is a rush to get paid. His family seems like they are ok. So coming back would benefit his draft status. All other names are Sr's. Also don't for get about martin. A lot of turn over next year.

Oh yeah max is gone to.

True, it could be a leaner year for sure. No wonder Kelly looks so troubled; Da pressha cooker of ND. This is why, once there's a loss (if we lose, no whammies, no WHAMMIES) we should really be getting PT for anyone we can. Agree with the premise of saving Wimbush's redshirt, but I think he's going to get playtime. Is it any PT or do they have a threshold of minutes?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They only hate Notre Dame because they don't have the TV rights to Notre Dame, if they did things would be very different.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They only hate Notre Dame because they don't have the TV rights to Notre Dame, if they did things would be very different.

Hadn't thought of that angle. Interesting. I suspect they'd jump on ND-Clemson, Stanford already has a loss, but, they'll likely make at least one west-coast swing for Gameday... I'd have to look at the schedules to see what possible game they'd opt for. UCLA-Zona should they stay unbeaten?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, it could be a leaner year for sure. No wonder Kelly looks so troubled; Da pressha cooker of ND. This is why, once there's a loss (if we lose, no whammies, no WHAMMIES) we should really be getting PT for anyone we can. Agree with the premise of saving Wimbush's redshirt, but I think he's going to get playtime. Is it any PT or do they have a threshold of minutes?

If you're injured, you can play in up to 30% of the games (3) as long as all of them are in the first half of the year. If you play one play in the second half of the year the redshirt is gone. If you play in 4 games in the first half of the season it's gone. If you're not injured, even one play and you're done.

So to qualify, you have to be injured and you have to have limited playing time.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Hayes just tweeted he is leaving ND after we win a National Championship. He said coaches stopped coaching him and he is out of here.

Not good and not smart on his end.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be satisfied with a W and not one single injury, not even a broken fingernail.
Not me. It needs to be a COMPLETE game. Domination. No letting off the gas either on offense or defense. If we want to challenge for a playoff berth, we not only need to keep winning, but dominate teams we are supposed to dominate.

Totally with you on the injury part. I'm actually surprised we didn't have a major defensive injury from the option led GT. We usually leave the Navy game with multiple injuries on D.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wimbush has to play against Umass. No way he will be able to keep his red-shirt the whole year. He would have to come in for the littlest thing like if Kizer lost his helmet on a play. Does this mean Malik can get a medical redshirt? Can you give another red-shirt to someone that already had one?