• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA is a joke today.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who grew up watching the NBA like me starting in early 70's was treated to a great sport. I was huge Laker fan but I loved watching many of the other teams as well. Defense was as exciting to watch as much as it has always been in the NFL. You couldn't wait to see how your team and it's players performed defensively vs the top scores on other teams. The game then was exciting and non stop competitive week in and week out. The NBA fans of today just have no clue as to how this " once" great sport is supposed to be played. Today's game.....nobody plays or respects the defense anymore, guys can rarely hit uncontested 10' jumps shots, all they do now is hit dunks and 3 point shots with hardly any contested attempts. Today's NBA is a joke and only those who used to watch it when they actually had pride on both sides of ball will know what I'm talking about. Harden is a perfect example of what's wrong with the NBA and if things don't start revert back to the elements that used to make this game so great, the league is doomed. Embarrassing. Need a new leadership from the top to save this sport from the lazy, spoiled thugs that are poisoning this sport.

Reactions: BUD

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest problem with NBA is most of the teams including playoff teams are horrible

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started watching the NBA in 1970. So, I have seen every era from then until now. Imo, the 80's were the absolute best era of pure basketball. It was the best mix of offensive flow and tough defense that I have seen.

However, I have found things to enjoy about every era. In the 90's, I liked how physical the game was. Yes, it went over the top at times, but it was still fun to watch. Physical defense ruled the league. In the 2000's it has been come more about individual players/superstars. The 3 point shot has become a huge weapon rather than the afterthought it had been for years.

Bottom line, the game changes and evolves as it should. It will likely continue to evolve as teams learn to adjust defensively to how the game is played today.

As for the league being doomed...It's making more money and is more popular today than it ever has been. If I recall what I heard correctly, only the NFL is bigger and more popular than the NBA in the USA, but the NBA is more global than the NFL.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started watching the NBA in 1970. So, I have seen every era from then until now. Imo, the 80's were the absolute best era of pure basketball. It was the best mix of offensive flow and tough defense that I have seen.

However, I have found things to enjoy about every era. In the 90's, I liked how physical the game was. Yes, it went over the top at times, but it was still fun to watch. Physical defense ruled the league. In the 2000's it has been come more about individual players/superstars. The 3 point shot has become a huge weapon rather than the afterthought it had been for years.

Bottom line, the game changes and evolves as it should. It will likely continue to evolve as teams learn to adjust defensively to how the game is played today.

As for the league being doomed...It's making more money and is more popular today than it ever has been. If I recall what I heard correctly, only the NFL is bigger and more popular than the NBA in the USA, but the NBA is more global than the NFL.
Great points for sure but I also believe the reason it is still popular is the " intelligence/work efthic/simple-minded generation that's happened since the '80's baby boomers. The game should and does evolve but we shouldn't sacrifice pride and effort for a product that is now more consumed and addicted to hype and endorsements. If you listen to the noise of the guys you grew up watching and respected,their pretty much disgusted in how the game has evolved.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes. The glorious NBA of the 70s. When the league was in flux from the ABA and cocaine was flowing so much it damn near put a stop to the league. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better back then.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports in general are more about money and ego's these days compared to the reason they played back when they didn't make much money. They played more because they loved the game back then. Fans these days are only interested in seeing flashy shit because they don't appreciate the rest. Also the media can dictate what type of play is popular and people eat up whatever they say.

Reactions: BUD

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes. The glorious NBA of the 70s. When the league was in flux from the ABA and cocaine was flowing so much it damn near put a stop to the league. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better back then.

Defensive schemes are as tough today as they ever have been, but people don't want to believe it. Plus, back in the day, refs bailed out guys all the time by calling fouls on the defense.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God I hate people like you.

You probably hate technology and every generation younger than you too, right? Let me guess… you had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to school every day as well?

Times change, get the fuck over it. The Warriors just accomplished something that's NEVER been done before in NBA history, the Spurs are a dynasty that we all get to witness, Russell Westbrook and Draymond Green are likely a once in a lifetime type of players (for both extremely different reasons), LeBron is an unreal physical specimen… etc, etc. Is the game perfect? Hell nah, but it never has been. Nostalgia makes you feel that way, that's all it is.

Parity is also at an all-time high along with revenue. But whatever you say, Gramps.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ONLY problem I see is how the rules have changed, BUT in this day and age it should be the expected. Look at the NFL for example. Other than that the NBA is fine. It is isn't the same rules wise, they do take more 3's but that is how the game has changed. The fact you say no teams or players play defense is not factual. There has always been players or teams in the league that didn't play defense well, then you have the players and usually the better teams that play hard defense. Also, it seems like the players and depth of the league is more athletic then it was back in the day. IMO it might be harder to play solid defense especially for as many minutes as some of these guys play.

All that being said the 70's and 80's were the best of basketball even though I didn't see any of it, I will admit it was the best era but it doesn't mean basketball is not fun to watch now. Seems like the OP just hasn't or isn't a real fan of the game.

But there is no excuse for Mr. Harden. I could score on that slapdick lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God I hate people like you.
t

You probably hate technology and every generation younger than you too, right? Let me guess… you had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to school every day as well?

Times change, get the fuck over it. The Warriors just accomplished something that's NEVER been done before in NBA history, the Spurs are a dynasty that we all get to witness, Russell Westbrook and Draymond Green are likely a once in a lifetime type of players (for both extremely different reasons), LeBron is an unreal physical specimen… etc, etc. Is the game perfect? Hell nah, but it never has been. Nostalgia makes you feel that way, that's all it is.

Parity is also at an all-time high along with revenue. But whatever you say, Gramps.

And stuff like this is why older folks bitch about younger folks. You think that there's no way things could ever have been better than they are right now and that you guys invented everything.

Yes, things change, but not all change is good. While you won't see me complaining much about the changes in today's game, the overall level of play on both sides of the ball was at it's best in the 80's. It's no coincidence that the 2 best teams in the NBA right now, play closest to how teams played in the 80's.

The funniest/most ironic part of your post is that you don't even realize that you will eventually be the old man yelling "Get off my lawn."

I guess youth really is wasted on the young. Unfortunately, wisdom is also wasted on the old.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ONLY problem I see is how the rules have changed, BUT in this day and age it should be the expected. Look at the NFL for example. Other than that the NBA is fine. It is isn't the same rules wise, they do take more 3's but that is how the game has changed. The fact you say no teams or players play defense is not factual. There has always been players or teams in the league that didn't play defense well, then you have the players and usually the better teams that play hard defense. Also, it seems like the players and depth of the league is more athletic then it was back in the day. IMO it might be harder to play solid defense especially for as many minutes as some of these guys play.

But there is no excuse for Mr. Harden. I could score on that slapdick lol

Agree with much of this and the spoiler was hilarious because it's true. :pound:

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although the rules have evolved, I still wish there was a way to see how the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons and later in the 80's/early 90's the Bulls would match up with some of the better teams in the few years. I'd spring for a hefty pay per view fee for that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although the rules have evolved, I still wish there was a way to see how the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons and later in the 80's/early 90's the Bulls would match up with some of the better teams in the few years. I'd spring for a hefty pay per view fee for that.

Already been done...on my sons X-Box...Lakers ruled all. :cool2:

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread would make sense if it was 2008.....NBA is actually starting to get good again. It was bad during the years of egos and me, me, me, but it is slowly climbing out of that selfish state and becoming more about rings.

As much as we all want to bash LeBron for surrounding himself with other all-stars, or going to a team and forming an all-star team, and other superstars doing the same, the motivation and idea behind it I can agree with. Players these days want to win championships, meaning it's becoming more about winning then their paychecks. I can accept that.

mid 2000's it seemed paycheck meant more then the W's.