• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MW general discussion

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm im already out of MWC stuff to talk about. unless we just go really generic.
Who ya picking for the title game? chances of getting to big bowl? Off and Def Players of the year? type stuff

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like most conferences though are similar. Top, Middle, bottom teams are going to be fairly even. just like I said before teams like Boise and Northern Illinois are a little more consistant.

I don't really. The SEC and PAC are clearly the two best conferences (in my opinion). Next is the Big 12 and then the Big 10. The ACC is way behind those two as clearly the worst Power 5. The American and MWC are head and shoulders the best of the Group of 5s (by far) followed distantly by the MAC. The Conference USA and Sun Belt are pathetically bad, way, way worse than the MAC (again in my opinion).

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But look at it this way.
top team from Big 10 Ohio State beat top team from SEC and Pac 12, Pac 12 top team beat top from ACC.
a top team Michigan State from Big 10 beat top team from Big 12 Baylor.
A top team from ACC GT beat a top SEC Miss State.

Marshall from CUSA beat N Illinois from MAC
looking at other matchups
7-6 Ark State Sun belt beat 10-4 Utah State MW but lost to 9-4 toledo MAC
Lafayette 9-4 lost to 9-5 Latech and lost to 12-2 Boise but beat 7-6 Nevada.
4-8 UTSA CUSA beat 8-5 Houston American
8-5 rice beat 6-7 Fresno but fresno was division champ.
8-5 Western Kentucky CUSA beat 7-6 Cent Michigan MAC and 8-6 Bowling Green MAC
and at the bottom North texas CUSA beat SMU American
FAU CUSA beat Tulsa American

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm im already out of MWC stuff to talk about. unless we just go really generic.
Who ya picking for the title game? chances of getting to big bowl? Off and Def Players of the year? type stuff

For the title game I'll say Boise over San Diego State and give Boise somewhere around 50% - 60% odds at another Big 6 game. For offensive player of the year, I'll say Donnel Pumphrey (RB for San Diego State) barely over Rashard Higgins (WR for Colorado State). For defensive player of the year, I'll say Kamalei Correa (DE for Boise) with Darian Thompson (S for Boise), Weston Steelhammer (S for Air Force), and Donte Deayon (DB for Boise) right there to challenge him.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the title game I'll say Boise over San Diego State and give Boise somewhere around 50% - 60% odds at another Big 6 game. For offensive player of the year, I'll say Donnel Pumphrey (RB for San Diego State) barely over Rashard Higgins (WR for Colorado State). For defensive player of the year, I'll say Kamalei Correa (DE for Boise) with Darian Thompson (S for Boise), Weston Steelhammer (S for Air Force), and Donte Deayon (DB for Boise) right there to challenge him.
I have Utah State vs SDSU I dont have the winner in a Big 6. I think the American takes it this year.
OFF Im pretty torn between Keeton, and Pumphrey. I think Higgins will slide a littel with a new coach and QB. he will still be their biggest weapon but not as productive. also think he gets covered more
DEF Correa is a solid pick. I think Vigil (Utah State) will push him. Matthews S CSU, Kazee CB SDSU right there too

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call on Vigil!

Kazee is a stud at DB. That kid has some serious instincts and ball skills. Great player. His brother Walter was a pretty dang good tailback for them too.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably consider North Dakota State and South Dakota State as the best options

you can't get one without the other, but South Dakota State isn't bad either, they have a solid fanbase too, and for what it's worth they'll probably beat Kansas this year

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot Seat coaches
My take

I have to think Harsin, Wells, Calhoun, Bobo,and Samchez are the safe coaches between success and first year status.
Long should be fairly safe but if they finish in the middle again his seat might be getting warm
Bohl is only in Year to at Wyoming so even another bad year might not yet get his seat warm but I don't know what Wyomings expectaions and tiime tables are.
Polian and DeRuyter probably need more than 7-6 and 6-8 and getting blown out in bowls to hold on much longer
Chow, Davie and Caragher might be looking for new jobs next season.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot Seat coaches
My take

I have to think Harsin, Wells, Calhoun, Bobo,and Samchez are the safe coaches between success and first year status.
Long should be fairly safe but if they finish in the middle again his seat might be getting warm
Bohl is only in Year to at Wyoming so even another bad year might not yet get his seat warm but I don't know what Wyomings expectaions and tiime tables are.
Polian and DeRuyter probably need more than 7-6 and 6-8 and getting blown out in bowls to hold on much longer
Chow, Davie and Caragher might be looking for new jobs next season.

I think you're spot on buddy. You nailed it.

It's crazy to think that DeRuyter's seat could be getting warm after just three seasons. He went 9-4 and 11-2 and won or shared conference titles his first two seasons. But last year's 6-8 campaign was not good and he's not exactly burning it up on the recruiting trail either. He could be in trouble, especially if he has another season like last year's.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're spot on buddy. You nailed it.

It's crazy to think that DeRuyter's seat could be getting warm after just three seasons. He went 9-4 and 11-2 and won or shared conference titles his first two seasons. But last year's 6-8 campaign was not good and he's not exactly burning it up on the recruiting trail either. He could be in trouble, especially if he has another season like last year's.
Yeah I dont actually think a bad year this season from Polian or DeRuyter will mean they are out this year but if its bad this and next then it could be over.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish UNLV could get their football program going in the right direction. Not sure if this would ever happen but I'd like to see them get an on campus stadium rather than playing @ Sam Boyd out in Henderson. I heard some talk of a 40,000 seat multi-sport arena possibly being built a little over a year ago but haven't heard anything about it since.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish UNLV could get their football program going in the right direction. Not sure if this would ever happen but I'd like to see them get an on campus stadium rather than playing @ Sam Boyd out in Henderson. I heard some talk of a 40,000 seat multi-sport arena possibly being built a little over a year ago but haven't heard anything about it since.

I'm not sure if it will come to fruition, but the designs for it are straight up sick. How about a 100 yard long video monitor/jumbotron? 100 yards long! Insane.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if it will come to fruition, but the designs for it are straight up sick. How about a 100 yard long video monitor/jumbotron? 100 yards long! Insane.

From what I remember it's supposed to be all privately funded. The interesting thing is where the hell in Las Vegas would they build it? When I was living there open land around campus was very tough to find.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah good luck with their new highschool coach. if a success at FCS coulndt get it done I dont see a HS coach doing it either. MW too tough.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah good luck with their new highschool coach. if a success at FCS coulndt get it done I dont see a HS coach doing it either. MW too tough.

Yeah I thought it was an odd hire. Can't remember his name off had but he was the HC @ national powerhouse Bishop Gorman. Maybe he can turn Gorman football into a UNLV pipeline of sorts? Although I won't hold my breath on that one. Pretty sure current Runnin' Rebels hoops HC Dave Rice's brother is the basketball coach @ that HS. And Gorman hasn't been a hoops pipeline for UNLV.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So something I am really unfamiliar with, are there any up and coming coordinators?

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So something I am really unfamiliar with, are there any up and coming coordinators?

Kevin Clune may be a good one, the new DC for Utah State. He was the DC for one year at Hawaii and they immediately improved from the previous season. I believe he coached Utah State's LBs before that. Eliah Drinkwitz could be an up and comer for Boise. He's never played the game really or been an OC, but supposedly he's a student of the game and a complete whiz with a great mind.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I dont actually think a bad year this season from Polian or DeRuyter will mean they are out this year but if its bad this and next then it could be over.

DeRuyter is in trouble if he doesn't improve the year after this year, they are definitely rebuilding this year

so is Nevada

both will need to show progress the year after

Davie is doing fine, he had a tough rebuilding project and I think he will finally see some success this year to secure his seat

Chow could be in trouble though

Caragher surprisingly got a great recruiting class so he bought a year beyond this year

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UNLV will be much improved this year under Sanchez. However, they have an absolutely brutal OOC schedule, and may end up with a ton of injuries just from that. I am so hoping they are able to be somewhat relevant in football at some point. Not like a national threat, just be relevant in the damn conference for a change.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UNLV will be much improved this year under Sanchez. However, they have an absolutely brutal OOC schedule, and may end up with a ton of injuries just from that. I am so hoping they are able to be somewhat relevant in football at some point. Not like a national threat, just be relevant in the damn conference for a change.
High school coaches havent had the most success when moving up to college. I dont know if I can see more than 2 wins for them again.