• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MW general discussion

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anyone ever really comes in here but I noticed there wasn't a generalized board.

Reading through the MW portion in some preseason magazines I was thinking should the Mountain West play a regular season ending rivalry game?
If yes what would the pairings be?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think there are some natural rivalry games. Like Nevada vs UNLV but others?

I think my pairings would be
Nevada vs UNLV
Fresno vs San Jose
Which unfortunately would leave Hawaii vs San Diego State

Air Force vs Colorado State
Wyoming vs New Mexico
Boise vs Utah State

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about the best combination of pairings I can find

Wyoming and Colorado State are bigger rivals, but then there's no good matchup for Air Force

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about the best combination of pairings I can find

Wyoming and Colorado State are bigger rivals, but then there's no good matchup for Air Force

Unless you wanted to force some rivalries. over time they may form anyway but thats why i kept teams to their division.
I suppose you could go
Wyoming vs CSU
New Mexico vs Utah State
Boise State vs AF

I feel like you may get 1 or 2 good ones and always have at least 1 forced.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and im not as big a fan of going cross division due to poosible rematch a week or 2 later in the confernce title game.
BUT IF they did ( and these seem even more forced)

Fresno State vs Boise State
Hawaii vs Air Force (apparently there is a trophy and everything)
San Jose State vs Utah State
San Diego State vs New Mexico
Nevada vs Wyoming
UNLV vs Colorado State

yeah i dont like this at all.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think there are some natural rivalry games. Like Nevada vs UNLV but others?

I think my pairings would be
Nevada vs UNLV
Fresno vs San Jose
Which unfortunately would leave Hawaii vs San Diego State

Air Force vs Colorado State
Wyoming vs New Mexico
Boise vs Utah State

As a former Runnin' Rebels season ticket holder (hoops) nevaaaada-reeeeno can go fuck themselves!:D

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and im not as big a fan of going cross division due to poosible rematch a week or 2 later in the confernce title game.
BUT IF they did ( and these seem even more forced)

Fresno State vs Boise State
Hawaii vs Air Force (apparently there is a trophy and everything)
San Jose State vs Utah State
San Diego State vs New Mexico
Nevada vs Wyoming
UNLV vs Colorado State

yeah i dont like this at all.

the first two are the only ones that are even somewhat rivals

and the only reason I say Air Force vs Hawai'i is somewhat a rivalry is the fact that there is somehow a trophy for that game

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the first two are the only ones that are even somewhat rivals

and the only reason I say Air Force vs Hawai'i is somewhat a rivalry is the fact that there is somehow a trophy for that game
yeah i def like the in division rivarly games better

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Mountain West ever decided to expand and go after more teams who should it be?
the obvious choices would be Idaho and New Mexico State.
but outside of that who else is even a contender?
UTEP
Tulsa
Texas San Antonio
Texas State
North Texas
SMU

seem about the only other options.
yes or no on any of these teams?
if yes they would clearly be Mountain division so who moves to the West division?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Mountain West ever decided to expand and go after more teams who should it be?
the obvious choices would be Idaho and New Mexico State.
but outside of that who else is even a contender?
UTEP
Tulsa
Texas San Antonio
Texas State
North Texas
SMU

seem about the only other options.
yes or no on any of these teams?
if yes they would clearly be Mountain division so who moves to the West division?

I disagree, we don't want them, both programs would be more of a burden than anything on the conference, they don't bring in a new market, and New Mexico State's decent basketball program is all they would bring.

Tulsa and SMU unfortunately are unlikely as they would consider it a lateral move.

UTEP would likely be the top one, they would get to play rival New Mexico annually, and they bring in a solidly promising program with a really good backing, unbelievably I came across a site once and got back far enough to the early expansion days(when the ACC expanded with Miami, VT etc) and there were actually rumors of UTEP to the Big 12, they I guess didn't quite stay competitive enough for that, but they still bring solid stuff.

UTSA is the next best, they play in a big stadium, and have a program with a good backing their the only football team in San Antonio. Them and UTEP would give the Mountain West a presence in Texas again.

Texas State and North Texas are decent but not preferred.

Some outside the box ones:

North Dakota State and South Dakota State: Both are programs with good backings in their state's especially North Dakota State, who would be a strong MWC contender from the get-go. They would both have to be added as I don't think North Dakota State is willing to separate.

Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington: All 3 want to stick together to keep their rivalries, this is highly unlikely as Montana State doesn't want to move up, and I don't think we would allow another team with a different colored field into the conference.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way this whole time I thought this thread was in the Mastodons board, thinking we were only using that board as a general discussion since the Mastodons aren't actually in the MWC, but no apparently the Mountain West has a general discussion board, wonder if the other leagues do, because I know they didn't use to.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, we don't want them, both programs would be more of a burden than anything on the conference, they don't bring in a new market, and New Mexico State's decent basketball program is all they would bring.

Tulsa and SMU unfortunately are unlikely as they would consider it a lateral move.

UTEP would likely be the top one, they would get to play rival New Mexico annually, and they bring in a solidly promising program with a really good backing, unbelievably I came across a site once and got back far enough to the early expansion days(when the ACC expanded with Miami, VT etc) and there were actually rumors of UTEP to the Big 12, they I guess didn't quite stay competitive enough for that, but they still bring solid stuff.

UTSA is the next best, they play in a big stadium, and have a program with a good backing their the only football team in San Antonio. Them and UTEP would give the Mountain West a presence in Texas again.

Texas State and North Texas are decent but not preferred.

Some outside the box ones:

North Dakota State and South Dakota State: Both are programs with good backings in their state's especially North Dakota State, who would be a strong MWC contender from the get-go. They would both have to be added as I don't think North Dakota State is willing to separate.

Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington: All 3 want to stick together to keep their rivalries, this is highly unlikely as Montana State doesn't want to move up, and I don't think we would allow another team with a different colored field into the conference.

I honestly ddin't even think about FCS teams moving up.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truthfully, I personally don't want any of them. I suppose the best candidate of all of them would be North Dakota State because they've been so powerful at the FCS level, but then they'd need a partner to get the conference to 14 teams and I don't like any of the other teams out there. They're all scrub football teams and let's face it, these realignment moves are all motivated by football. That's the sport that matters and that's the sport that brings in the bacon.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truthfully, I personally don't want any of them. I suppose the best candidate of all of them would be North Dakota State because they've been so powerful at the FCS level, but then they'd need a partner to get the conference to 14 teams and I don't like any of the other teams out there. They're all scrub football teams and let's face it, these realignment moves are all motivated by football. That's the sport that matters and that's the sport that brings in the bacon.
I think the UTSA and Texas State arguement could be made. Texas recruiting could open up. and they are both still kind of establishing themselves so I cant say if they are truely scrubs just yet.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the UTSA and Texas State arguement could be made. Texas recruiting could open up. and they are both still kind of establishing themselves so I cant say if they are truely scrubs just yet.

I understand your point. For me the thought of adding the Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners and the Texas State Bobcats just kind of sounds really embarrassing. Not to sound elitist because let's face it, the MWC is still a Group of 5 conference, but in my opinion Sun Belt and Conference USA teams are a complete joke, every one of them. Those two conferences are God awful.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take certain schools from either conference though. I mean Marshall, LaTech, Ark State can be solid. I dont know if there is a consistant team the way I think Boise in the MW or Northern Illiinois is in the MAC

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Marshall, good program in a miserable conference.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Marshall, good program in a miserable conference.
I feel like most conferences though are similar. Top, Middle, bottom teams are going to be fairly even. just like I said before teams like Boise and Northern Illinois are a little more consistant.