• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MSNBC: Why Tom Brady Shouldn't be punished

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deflategate: What did Tom Brady know?
Dan Eaton, law professor at San Diego State University
4 Hours AgoCNBC.com

Commentary by Dan Eaton, a partner with the San Diego law firm of Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek where his practice focuses on defending and advising employers. He also is a professor at the San Diego State University College of Business Administration where he teaches classes in business ethics and employment law. Follow him on Twitter

That conclusion is not nearly enough to warrant disciplining Brady for the deflation of the footballs or to taint his legacy as one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, a four-time Super Bowl winner and three-time Super Bowl MVP.

102376174-461910968.530x298.jpg

Getty Images
Tom Brady of the New England Patriotsagainst the Indianapolis Colts at Gillette Stadium on January 18, 2015 in Foxboro, Massachusetts.
That concedes the validity of the report's thoroughly investigated and substantiated factual findings. The report was carefully drafted, reading in places like a good true-life mystery. So why are no disciplinary or reputational consequences appropriate for Brady?

It is important to focus on what the accusatory sentence doesn't say. The sentence does not say that Brady knew that McNally deflated the footballs below the minimum pressure of 12.5 pounds per square inch. It says that Brady probably was aware of the inappropriate conduct. That is more than maybe, but far from absolute certainty.

The sentence also does not say that Brady specifically knew about McNally deflating the footballs below the minimum pressure in what the report acknowledges was an unusual setting: a locked single-toilet bathroom after officials had inspected the balls, but before the balls were brought onto the field. The most investigators could say was that Brady was "at least generally aware" of "the inappropriate activities" of McNally and Jastremski. The investigators also imply that Brady expressed his approval of such activities by giving the self-described "deflator," McNally, autographed gear in the locker room around the time Brady was selecting game balls for the January 10, 2015 divisional playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens, eight days before the Colts game.

Read MoreBrady's 'Deflategate' blowback is likely to be limited

Brady's probable general awareness and approval of "inappropriate activities" is not equivalent to Brady's direct participation in the specific scheme that was the subject of the report. There is no finding that Brady broke the rules, ordered that the rules be broken, helped to plan the bizarrely executed deed, or rewarded the rules violation after the fact.

Where is the basis for punishment in all of that? How does that merit an asterisk on this quarterback for this game, this championship, this career?

It must be added that that Brady gained no evident competitive advantage from the use of the deflated balls in the Patriots' 45-7 win over the Colts. In footnote 73 of the report, the investigators note they were not asked to investigate or evaluate the competitive impact of the deflated balls. They nevertheless add that, in the first half, when the balls were under-inflated, Brady completed barely half of his passes (11/21) for one touchdown. In the second half, when the balls were re-inflated, Brady completed over 85 percent of his passes (12/14) for two touchdowns.

In matters ethical, means and intent matter regardless of the consequences of an act. Knute Rockne: "Win or lose, do it fairly." The cheater is subject to censure even if his methods do not have the intended effect. But the report does not support a conclusion that Brady was in on the means or shared the intent to break the rules the day of the AFC Championship game.

Read More16 percent of retired NFL players go bankrupt: Study

I am no card-carrying member of Patriots nation — quite the opposite. I wanted Seattle to beat New England in the Super Bowl. I am a native New Yorker who is old enough to have happy early childhood memories of Joe Namath's fulfilled promise of a Jets victory in Super Bowl III. And I still like the Jets, though my allegiance is now shared with the San Diego Chargers.

This is a matter of allegiance to the principle of fairness, not allegiance to a particular team or player. This goes beyond one quarterback, one game, even one sport. It is unfair to punish any athlete in any sport for his probable general awareness of a rules violation he did not commit, did not plan, did not reward, and that did not at the end of the day help him win. Let the guilty parties, but only the guilty parties, be punished. Tom Brady is not one of them.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one more time...

Commentary by Dan Eaton, a partner with the San Diego law firm of Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek where his practice focuses on defending and advising employers. He also is a professor at the San Diego State University College of Business Administration where he teaches classes in business ethics and employment law. Follow him on Twitter

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you should read it.

but you wont, it 'deflates' the case for the most part.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is treating this like a legal case. That is not the situation here. If that were the case then Ben Roethlisberger should never have been suspended for conduct detrimental to the NFL as he was found not guilty in all of his legal issues. He did nothing wrong yet was punished. He was punished because his actions painted the NFL in a bad light. Same thing here with Tom Brady in he has brought a very bad light to the NFL. He has refused to cooperate fully with the NFL in this investigation.

Throw in if you want to use this article I can produce plenty of lawyers that would say the complete opposite in this evidence would clearly be enough to convict Tom Brady. Heck I was a character witness in a trial not too long ago where the other side was trying to produce a professor with a doctorate that was saying that a father does not need to be a part of a child's life until they are six and that a mother should be breast feeding that entire time. Most doctors would completely disagree with that thought but hey we live in a country that even the crack pot people have a voice.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we all now know that the ball boys just messed with the air pressure on the balls that Brady throws just for the fun of it doing it on their own lowering the pressure and Brady having no clue what was going on.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said more than once...the Wells Report basically appeals to the common sense...in spite of it's length, it would not hold up in a court of law.
This guy is treating this like a legal case. That is not the situation here. If that were the case then Ben Roethlisberger should never have been suspended for conduct detrimental to the NFL as he was found not guilty in all of his legal issues. He did nothing wrong yet was punished. He was punished because his actions painted the NFL in a bad light. Same thing here with Tom Brady in he has brought a very bad light to the NFL. He has refused to cooperate fully with the NFL in this investigation.

Ben said that he had consensual sex with the young lady...she said it wasn't consensual and that's where the r*pe allegations came from...even though no r*pe was proven...sex in public place by a drunk high profile player was just too much for the NFL to turn a blind eye to.

In this case...TB is saying he didn't do anything wrong, but the report I think proves that he knows more than he's stating. In other words...you're not telling us the truth there....that does come with some tpe of punishment.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we all now know that the ball boys just messed with the air pressure on the balls that Brady throws just for the fun of it doing it on their own lowering the pressure and Brady having no clue what was going on.
very well possible especially if you read the entire report and know the inexact nature of deflating a ball thats too hard to 12.5 psi on the nose, which there is nothing wrong with (bare minimum amount of flare). one game the refs overinflated them to 16 lbs or so (jets game week 12 i think) and brady was miffed. all the guy wanted was balls at the minimum, and relied on some knucklehead teenage girls (it seems) to somehow get these balls from the higher end, to the lower end of the threshold...quickly and accurately.

it seems that doesnt work too well. did brady have these guys deflate footballs to the low end of the limit?

sure

did he ask them to go under?

i hedge to guess no...that that was all a result of 2 idiots trying to do somehting exact very quickly.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said more than once...the Wells Report basically appeals to the common sense...in spite of it's length, it would not hold up in a court of law.

Ben said that he had consensual sex with the young lady...she said it wasn't consensual and that's where the r*pe allegations came from...even though no r*pe was proven...sex in public place by a drunk high profile player was just too much for the NFL to turn a blind eye to.

In this case...TB is saying he didn't do anything wrong, but the report I think proves that he knows more than he's stating.

I think it depends on the lawyer arguing it. First off in a court of law the text messages would have been subpoenaed giving us possibly a better picture of what is happening. Because this wasn't a legal case though not everything done in a legal case was done limiting a little of the evidence that could be found. I've heard lawyers talk on the case though and most think that in a Civil Case not a criminal case the NFL would have enough to convict. Now obviously in that situation then only money would be exchanged instead of an actual physical punishment like that of possibly suspension. Again though with the NFL not needing to prove absolute guilt in the situation and the fact that in an NFL player's contract they sign that they will cooperate in any investigation done by the NFL they have plenty to suspend him on. He has broken his contract. That alone is enough.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only one of us here is a lawyer, and he wrote the article.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only one of us here is a lawyer, and he wrote the article.

When is this case being brought before a judge? Didn't know it had become a legal case.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is this case being brought before a judge? Didn't know it had become a legal case.
why do you keep saying that?

it has no bearing on my post.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why do you keep saying that?

it has no bearing on my post.

When you say "Well a lawyer said it" and are using him as the base of agreeing with him he is looking at this through the eyes of a lawyer. It has very little actual bearing on how this case turns out. What is needed in the court of law is not needed in the court of the NFL.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say "Well a lawyer said it" and are using him as the base of agreeing with him he is looking at this through the eyes of a lawyer. It has very little actual bearing on how this case turns out. What is needed in the court of law is not needed in the court of the NFL.
lawyers know legal matters better than we do...and guess what this guys specialty is?

employment law.

honest...if i need to explain further i wont. it would be too much work.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lawyers know legal matters better than we do...and guess what this guys specialty is?

employment law.

honest...if i need to explain further i wont. it would be too much work.

Well you've definitely shown through this that you don't like to do research so doesn't surprise me. No matter what in this situation Brady has broken his contract so even if he didn't deflate the footballs or ask others to do it for him he broke his contract by refusing to fully cooperate in this investigation. It is in every NFL contract signed that players will be required to cooperate and if they do not will be subject to discipline by the NFL. See how easy that was. Barely had to do any looking to find that information. Something your Lawyer here did not do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends on the lawyer arguing it. First off in a court of law the text messages would have been subpoenaed giving us possibly a better picture of what is happening. Because this wasn't a legal case though not everything done in a legal case was done limiting a little of the evidence that could be found. I've heard lawyers talk on the case though and most think that in a Civil Case not a criminal case the NFL would have enough to convict. Now obviously in that situation then only money would be exchanged instead of an actual physical punishment like that of possibly suspension. Again though with the NFL not needing to prove absolute guilt in the situation and the fact that in an NFL player's contract they sign that they will cooperate in any investigation done by the NFL they have plenty to suspend him on. He has broken his contract. That alone is enough.

Legal...this is not really a criminal case but if the text messages are gone and I assume they were if he was trying to hide something. Absent of that, the crux of the case might come down his word vs the ball boy's word.

We're on the same page...no, the NFL doesn't really need a complete burden of proof...Brady was a little too smart for his own britches here...he should've just said, yes, I told him to let some air...how much? IDK...take the little slap he would've gotten for being under the limit and this is long over.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legal...this is not really a criminal case but if the text messages are gone and I assume they were if he was trying to hide something. Absent of that, the crux of the case might come down his word vs the ball boy's word.

We're on the same page...no, the NFL doesn't really need a complete burden of proof...Brady was a little too smart for his own britches here...he should've just said, yes, I told him to let some air...how much? IDK...take the little slap he would've gotten for being under the limit and this is long over.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. Honestly the letting out of the air thing is minimal in my opinion. Some could show the correlation to that of fumbles in the Patriots after the changing of the balls fumbled half as much as before but beyond that that part is very small. It is the possible lying, the smug attitude since getting caught, and the then not cooperating during the investigation making it seem like something is there. He just hasn't done much to help himself in all of this. I would have had no problem if he came out and said "yes I tried to get a little bit of an edge and I apologize for my behavior." Then the NFL fines him and the team a little bit of money and we all move on. His actions though have helped add fuel to the fire.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neat. So a legal expert with no particular specialty in sports representation (a very unique workplace setting) has the general opinion there wasn't enough to warrant a suspension. And?

And Rock tells us our facts are only opinions.

Fluff piece from MSNBC is a fluff piece.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From this text you know that he knows something was going on.

Jastremski: Talked to him last night. He actually brought you up and said you
must have a lot of stress trying to get them done...

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a telling passage:

It must be added that that Brady gained no evident competitive advantage from the use of the deflated balls in the Patriots' 45-7 win over the Colts. In footnote 73 of the report, the investigators note they were not asked to investigate or evaluate the competitive impact of the deflated balls. They nevertheless add that, in the first half, when the balls were under-inflated, Brady completed barely half of his passes (11/21) for one touchdown. In the second half, when the balls were re-inflated, Brady completed over 85 percent of his passes (12/14) for two touchdowns.

If there is no competitive advantage, is it still cheating? Maybe beating the Colts is just so easy that Brady wanted to try it with a handicap?