• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most loyal fanbases

Grue

Member's Only Jacket
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone else's loyalty get's tested by something more than a 4 loss season or free cars & tattoo's, let me know.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memorial Stadium seats approximately 5% of the population of Nebraska.

Ohio Stadium seats approximately 1% of the population of Ohio.

Percentage wise, Ohio Stadium is a bit behind.

Take out the students. If my school has an enrollment of 50k, and my stadium seats 60k, selling out isn't that big a deal. I remember last year Bill O'brien at Penn State saying that they had 35k students at a game. Getting 65,000 fans to a game in the middle of Pennsylvania is impressive, but 35,000 students makes it a lot easier to get to an impressive attendence figure of 100,000.

Grue

Member's Only Jacket
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take out the students. If my school has an enrollment of 50k, and my stadium seats 60k, selling out isn't that big a deal. I remember last year Bill O'brien at Penn State saying that they had 35k students at a game. Getting 65,000 fans to a game in the middle of Pennsylvania is impressive, but 35,000 students makes it a lot easier to get to an impressive attendence figure of 100,000.

It isn't that high. The student ticket allotment is 21,000.

(More than 21,000 Penn State student tickets sell out in hours - CBSSports.com)

Lat year, the stadium attendance was around 93,000 instead of 107,000. Ironically, the student sections were the most empty because PSU changed it's ticket buying policies and raised prices significantly. They did a tiered pricing system for alumni that was the equivalent of professional PSLs. The empty seats were more a function of a greedy AD setting bad pricing policies than Sandusky fall out, but the two had a cumulative effect.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been to most of the BigTen stadiums for Buckeye road games. Someday I would like to catch a game at Memorial Stadium although tickets are probably hard to get.
You can usually catch a scalper outside the stadium just before game time for a decent price. I've gone numerous times without a ticket and hand and have almost always gotten a ticket for a "fair" price (fair being subjective depending on how you feel about scalpers, lol).
*The Shoe is also on my CFB bucket list.

Sasquatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
spacer.gif

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WOW!! Most schools would kill if they could get 35K students to a game. Nebraska isn't doing that and Iowa isn't doing it. I know those two are facts, I have no idea on the other schools.

Both Nebraska and Iowa are around 20,000 students, Iowa actually having more. So, it is physically impossible for those schools to do it, but they would be excited to get 50% student attendance, and they are not doing that.

The Nebraska website says that women's volleyball and men's football tickets are still available. The Iowa posters or someone posted that Iowa has not sold them all either.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been to most of the BigTen stadiums for Buckeye road games. Someday I would like to catch a game at Memorial Stadium although tickets are probably hard to get.

I have been to the Horseshoe. I saw the dotting of the I, but I forget who the person was that did the dotting. Might have just been the tuba player. I was dating an Ohio State coed at the time. I have also dated a Nebraska coed, an Iowa State coed, a University of Texas coed, A Colorado State coed, and a Colorado coed.

Then I got married and my dating life was over.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW!! Most schools would kill if they could get 35K students to a game. Nebraska isn't doing that and Iowa isn't doing it. I know those two are facts, I have no idea on the other schools.

Both Nebraska and Iowa are around 20,000 students, Iowa actually having more. So, it is physically impossible for those schools to do it, but they would be excited to get 50% student attendance, and they are not doing that.

The Nebraska website says that women's volleyball and men's football tickets are still available. The Iowa posters or someone posted that Iowa has not sold them all either.

Most schoold don't have 35,000 students, which was my point. If you can't get half of your students to a game, your argument for a loyal fan base falls flat. At least in my opinion.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The metrics by which the article justifies its rankings are woefully incomplete. Home attendance averages are just a starting place, but even that isn't followed by the author (For example, UTK 95K avg home attendance, with 68K+ for the Spring scrimmage is ranked 8 spots below UGA - 92K/46K). It's a fluff piece, entirely subjective and lazily composed. Toilet paper and condom ads have higher value.