• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Bucket Draft Play-In Game : Smitty vs Ritzy

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be nice if people took five minutes to look at numbers, or anything, something, before spewing nonsense.

Hard to argue with guys that want inferior numbers over superior ones in a lineup. Scratch that, it's not hard, its a waste of time.
It would definitely be educational to hear how Prince Fielder could hit 4th in a lineup where Rogers Hornsby is hitting 5th

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be nice if people took five minutes to look at numbers, or anything, something, before spewing nonsense.

Hard to argue with guys that want inferior numbers over superior ones in a lineup. Scratch that, it's not hard, its a waste of time.

Thing is I look up every single player every draft. Billy Hamilton isnt drafted or is drafted late for the same reasons someone like Tim Keefe is not drafted they had great numbers but their careers aren't looked at the same greats who came after them because of the level of competition and the way the game was played back then. It's not just us idiots who think this way most baseball "experts" will say the same thing.

When I first started reading about baseball and the greats back in the early - mid 1970's Ty Cobb was a player I found a ton of information on as was Honus Wagner, the Babe, Walter Johnson. I don't remember ever finding anything about Billy Hamilton aside from seeing his name atop the all time stolen bases list. I don't remember (not to say it wasnt available) but I don't remember ever finding infomation about him, he simply wasn't talked about as one of the all time greats like the others mentioned.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, 11 year anniversary is today so I've only been able to sneak on then get caught and sign off lol...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think on the 11th it is common place to celebrate by talking sports.....

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is I look up every single player every draft. Billy Hamilton isnt drafted or is drafted late for the same reasons someone like Tim Keefe is not drafted they had great numbers but their careers aren't looked at the same greats who came after them because of the level of competition and the way the game was played back then. It's not just us idiots who think this way most baseball "experts" will say the same thing.

When I first started reading about baseball and the greats back in the early - mid 1970's Ty Cobb was a player I found a ton of information on as was Honus Wagner, the Babe, Walter Johnson. I don't remember ever finding anything about Billy Hamilton aside from seeing his name atop the all time stolen bases list. I don't remember (not to say it wasnt available) but I don't remember ever finding infomation about him, he simply wasn't talked about as one of the all time greats like the others mentioned.
This is the exact same thing we talked about with Milk yesterday when comparing Keefe to Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson. Even the most casual fan would know Johnson is considered an all time great. I'd bet 99% have never even heard of Keefe. If you say Ty Cobb, people say greatest hitter. If you say Billy Hamilton, they think fast kid from the Reds

I didn't see Hamilton play, so I go by what historians say. I have seen Fielder fan the entire stadium for the Rangers though

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry nos, but I call bullshit on this whole post. Not that you don't do your research, but your conclusion. Part of the reason cy young, Walter Johnson and the others have become such a name is because they all played for so long. The greats who did not play for 20 years will not be seen in the same eye.

Just for the record before I picked up keefe I looked up top 100 pitchers of all time from bleacher reports( yes I know) and they ranked him 8th all time. Just because you missed out on the read of them growing up doesn't mean they were any less legends. More they did not play long enough to catch the eye of the Legend status. When UK called me out on switching to keefe, I said to look at the outlier stats.
Hamilton scoring 200 runs in one season is certainly one.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry nos, but I call bullshit on this whole post. Not that you don't do your research, but your conclusion. Part of the reason cy young, Walter Johnson and the others have become such a name is because they all played for so long. The greats who did not play for 20 years will not be seen in the same eye.

Just for the record before I picked up keefe I looked up top 100 pitchers of all time from bleacher reports( yes I know) and they ranked him 8th all time. Just because you missed out on the read of them growing up doesn't mean they were any less legends. More they did not play long enough to catch the eye of the Legend status. When UK called me out on switching to keefe, I said to look at the outlier stats.
Bleachers Report has articles by people who wouldn't know a baseball from a biscuit. You're not gonna find a baseball historian who would put Keefe at 8

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, 11 year anniversary is today so I've only been able to sneak on then get caught and sign off lol...

Happy Anniversary!!! Now take your wife out to some place fancy like Jack In The Box.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleachers Report has articles by people who wouldn't know a baseball from a biscuit. You're not gonna find a baseball historian who would put Keefe at 8

Are these biscuits fluffy?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One other thing on Keefe.... if he's so darn good(8th lol) how were 45 starting pitchers and 216 players overall taken without him getting a sniff? Had he ever been drafted? It's not like you were doing add/drops and said "oh crap, no one took Warren Spahn"

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posts like this is what pisses me off!!

So bleacher reports knows nothing but UK and Nos know what they are talking about.

I am not using Bleacher reports as bible, just showing that there night be other experts that you guys just have not read yet.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doesnt matter to me what you call and im sorry you didnt understand what I said, this wasnt about me its about a kid who loved baseball and searched for everything I could find, I wasn't searching for info about players who played 20 years I simply wanted to know everything I could about the greats, as early as 8 years old I used to have my mom drop me off at baseball memorabilia auctions just so I could learn as much as I could, you really haven't clue how much I have loved baseball all my life.

As far as looking at stats in regards to these early players, thats fine but when I was a councelor for young adults with down syndrome there was always a couple people who stood out when we let them play basketball, they stood out because they were playing against others with down syndrome if we let them play against a local college team with people the same age they probably wouldn't stand out quite as much. POINT IS. Yes those players stood out against the players back then and I do agree thats one way we can look at them when judging them but when I judge players I look to see how they would do against the other greats in our drafts and Billy Hamilton isnt going to stand out as much vs these guys.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So bleacher reports knows nothing but UK and Nos know what they are talking about.

I am not using Bleacher reports as bible, just showing that there night be other experts that you guys just have not read yet.
Then why the fuck didn't YOU draft him Milk? Did you forget the 8th best pitcher of all time for 24 rounds?
:L

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@wlk3 we need your vote. We need a few others also please so we can move on.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So your opinions are correct and the average Joe's writing for Bleacher Report have good opinions but UK and I don't? You do understand the people who write the chit for Bleacher report didn't see Tim Keefe play either, they are basing their ranking of him off opinions much like we are doing, I bet there isn't a single writer that writes for them that has spent more time reading about and researching baseball as I have. I never tell people their opinions are wrong which seems so easy for you to do I simply state my own opinions and really don't care if you like them or not. I'll argue my butt off to try and show my opinions are right and tell you yer a dipchit now and again but it would take alot for me to ever actually tell you your opinion is wrong!

Side note... If you want me too I cant find some rediculous rankings on bleacher report.

Last edited:

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Anniversary!!! Now take your wife out to some place fancy like Jack In The Box.

Thanks but sadly we have no Jack in the Crack down here... :L

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@wlk3 we need your vote. We need a few others also please so we can move on.

It's tough because I'm trying to look up stuff and read what you guys post and hide lol... I'm in my "office" now so I should have a vote here soon...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks but sadly we have no Jack in the Crack down here... :L

I hate In and Out. All i heard from everyone was how when I was in San Diego I had to try one of the burgers, never had I seen food that came attached with so much hype........All I got was something slightly better then Wendy's could give me. Screw that over hyped average burger straight to hell

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your opinions are correct and the average Joe's writing for Bleacher Report have good opinions but UK and I don't? You do understand the people who write the chit for Bleacher report didn't see Tim Keefe play either, they are basing their ranking of him off opinions much like we are doing, I bet there isn't a single writer that writes for them that has spent more time reading about and researching baseball as I have. I never tell people their opinions are wrong which seems so easy for you to do I simply state my own opinions and really don't care if you like them or not.

When have I ever said anyone's opinions are wrong?? My whole point is that I find it funny that we consider some players legends and then dismiss others who played at the same time. If you noticed the only reason for that is the longevity.

If you want to dismiss players because they played in a certain time then how can you call those legends who played in the same time the best players ever. If we want cy young then we need to talk about babe Adams and other players who had great seasons.

Hell, Roy Halliday is a clear HOF and in his prime was the best pitcher of the 2000s, but in 15 years he will be forgotten because he didn't play long enough to hit that next level.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why the fuck didn't YOU draft him Milk? Did you forget the 8th best pitcher of all time for 24 rounds?
:L

When I took him I even said that I only took him because so many early baseball players were taken. I have a bias towards that era too. But again, that's why I look at outlier stats.

I