• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Bucket Draft Play-In Game : Smitty vs Ritzy

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When have I ever said anyone's opinions are wrong?? My whole point is that I find it funny that we consider some players legends and then dismiss others who played at the same time. If you noticed the only reason for that is the longevity.

If you want to dismiss players because they played in a certain time then how can you call those legends who played in the same time the best players ever. If we want cy young then we need to talk about babe Adams and other players who had great seasons.

Hell, Roy Halliday is a clear HOF and in his prime was the best pitcher of the 2000s, but in 15 years he will be forgotten because he didn't play long enough to hit that next level.

Well, you just called my opinions BS, we could start there.

That might be how you rate or judge players its not how I do it, I think Shoeless Joe Jackson is one of the best hitters ever born, he only played 13 years. You dont think highly of him even though he has the 3rd highest average of all time. So I think your accusing me of doing what you do.

Halladay will be remember well by me, I seen him play, he was really really good.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so here's the thing... The fact I know the least about baseball allows me to not have as many preferances as the other 2 sports... I don't look at names as much as I read what's written about players and go by numbers... From the way I look at it I have to lean to Smitty... And that's looking at it by platoons however... Speaking of which, I went platoon as well because last draft I thought no way could I lose with the starters I have and my bench was selected as situational players, everybody voted against me because Bums had 3 lefty starter pitchers and I had 5 starters that were lefty of the 9... So not sure how drafting a team to counter that hurts Smitty... In short Smitty had more players I was looking to draft and like how they are set... Smitty in 7

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first off, i would say your offense is the worst(or at least bottom 3) in this mock, you only have 2 good power hitters... Your rotation is disgustingly good, but the problem with it is that you have 3 pre 1920s players... we all have biases against that period of time, to have 3 of the all time greats there might just be too much... Not to mention, you know how i hate only having one lefty, 3 lefties for the whole pitching staff is too little IMO...

George brett was good enough defensively that having Brooks Robinson almost irrelevant.

I would almost say that i would rather start Duke snider than Shoeless for your team... add more power to the offense, and you have Roberto Alomar who would be good enough as a 2 hitter...

I think cal ripken was the wrong SS for your team too, he was good offensively but nothing special... Would have loved to see a better OBP guy to keep Alomar hitting 9th...

First I asked for your opinion so thank you for your input on my team. Now I don't understand how my offense is near the bottom.

Having the best leadoff hitter ever is a great start. Shoeless Joe to move Henderson to 3rd. Brett (307HR), Belle (381HR), Thome (612HR), Berra (358HR), & Ripken (431HR) that's 5 guys with power not 2. Whats wrong with having a great player like Robinson on the bench when you have a good starter also in the lineup. Brett is a lefty and Robinson is a righty hitter and it gives the manager options in the later innings. I don't see a problem at all drafting 3 pre 1920's pitchers if they are all outstanding. Why should a player be punished for the era he played, when he dominated that era. To me that's like saying we should vote against offensive lineman who played in the 70's because they were smaller then the guys now by like 50 pounds. I judge on what they did when they played. (once again this is just my opinion and just trying to justify my team and why I drafted this way) I love Cal Ripken because I grew up watching him as a O's fan (changed to Nats 2yrs ago). The better defensive SS would have been Ozzie but he gets 0 love from the voters because of his hitting. Cal was great at SS and a good hitter for the O's plus he brings a lot of leadership to the team. I can see Snider for Jackson but the manager went with Shoeless Joe Jackson for this game because he was hot streak for that week. Once again thanks Milk for your input.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so here's the thing... The fact I know the least about baseball allows me to not have as many preferances as the other 2 sports... I don't look at names as much as I read what's written about players and go by numbers... From the way I look at it I have to lean to Smitty... And that's looking at it by platoons however... Speaking of which, I went platoon as well because last draft I thought no way could I lose with the starters I have and my bench was selected as situational players, everybody voted against me because Bums had 3 lefty starter pitchers and I had 5 starters that were lefty of the 9... So not sure how drafting a team to counter that hurts Smitty... In short Smitty had more players I was looking to draft and like how they are set... Smitty in 7

I take the Happy Anniversary wishes back and hope you get blue balls tonight. :pound:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I took him I even said that I only took him because so many early baseball players were taken. I have a bias towards that era too. But again, that's why I look at outlier stats.

I
I'm not saying the guy wasn't good. I don't give a squirt about BR. What I do know is the guys on these mocks all know their stuff, and when a guy goes undrafted, he's not going to be considered a top 8 guy

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate In and Out. All i heard from everyone was how when I was in San Diego I had to try one of the burgers, never had I seen food that came attached with so much hype........All I got was something slightly better then Wendy's could give me. Screw that over hyped average burger straight to hell

I like 5 guys burgers and Nos just likes 5 guys :D

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milk, here is why I ragged your BR article....

Walter Johnson
Sandy Koufax
Bob Gibson
Tom Seaver
Christy Mathewson
Rocket
Unit
Carlton
Maddux
Grove
Feller
Spahn

Your BR guy would have to have Keefe ranked ahead of at least 5 of those guys to be 8th. They should call it the BS Report

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will eat the shit out of the cajun fries at 5 guys

Im the only one to use the vinegar for the fries. People look at me weird when I use it. (they look at me weird actually before I use the vinegar.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think vinegar on fries is far more common in the north east. I have no facts to back that up, but I think I heard that once.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate In and Out. All i heard from everyone was how when I was in San Diego I had to try one of the burgers, never had I seen food that came attached with so much hype........All I got was something slightly better then Wendy's could give me. Screw that over hyped average burger straight to hell

You commy bastid! :tsk:

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im the only one to use the vinegar for the fries. People look at me weird when I use it. (they look at me weird actually before I use the vinegar.

I make a homemade teriyaki sauce using apple cider vinegar... Awesome!

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think vinegar on fries is far more common in the north east. I have no facts to back that up, but I think I heard that once.
Talking about the Northeast, I'm from White Oak TX, and I was on a business trip to Boston for the first time, and went to a fantastic Italian restaurant in South Boston. I had vegetable lasagna and asked for sweet tea. The waitress looked at me funny and asked if I meant sweetener in my warm tea. I said no, iced tea. She brings me back a cup of ice and a bottle of Arizona tea
:L:L:L

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking about the Northeast, I'm from White Oak TX, and I was on a business trip to Boston for the first time, and went to a fantastic Italian restaurant in South Boston. I had vegetable lasagna and asked for sweet tea. The waitress looked at me funny and asked if I meant sweetener in my warm tea. I said no, iced tea. She brings me back a cup of ice and a bottle of Arizona tea

I grew up in a suburb of St. Paul Minnesota and in my entire childhood I never seen anyone drink tea, EVER. It's fucking nasty, it tastes like sweaty socks smell!

Moved to Texas 13 years ago and people look at me like i'm the anti-Christ because I don't like tea...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know why anyone from Texas orders sweet tea once the leave the state. I have never heard any of them be satisfied one they get it. The closest I ever heard was "it's close"

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the exact same thing we talked about with Milk yesterday when comparing Keefe to Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson. Even the most casual fan would know Johnson is considered an all time great. I'd bet 99% have never even heard of Keefe. If you say Ty Cobb, people say greatest hitter. If you say Billy Hamilton, they think fast kid from the Reds

I didn't see Hamilton play, so I go by what historians say. I have seen Fielder fan the entire stadium for the Rangers though
This is exactly why people need to look at numbers. Need to look at players they didn't grow up being aware of.

Cy Youngs career started two years after Hamiltons. Same era player, but Young isn't discounted for it.

And you've aeen Fielder with a kneck that needed to be fused and immediately following the procedure. He's protected MVPs in lineups pretty darn well in his career.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why anyone from Texas orders sweet tea once the leave the state. I have never heard any of them be satisfied one they get it. The closest I ever heard was "it's close"

I'm about to make a gallon of sweet tea now... It's delicious, but very not nutritious... :tsk:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying the guy wasn't good. I don't give a squirt about BR. What I do know is the guys on these mocks all know their stuff, and when a guy goes undrafted, he's not going to be considered a top 8 guy

Again, i was not calling him a top 8 player, i saw other Bleacher report articles that said different things... all i was using BR for was to show that there are some experts that see it differently than what is popular thought... even if you don't think BR is experts, the people writing it had to do at least SOME research to make their rankings...

During the team football draft, Nos kept on saying to me that Player A is better, but player B gets more respect from the voters... some truth is here too... there are eras that just don't get the respect and sometimes players get unfairly hurt... Terrible eras still had elite players... Again, thats why i look at outlier stats...