• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minor leaguer getting long term contract

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you honestly think that this contract must be defended with sentiment rather than data? I think you can make a case using either (or both). I'm not suggesting that the sentiment based case is a smart one of course.
All I suggest is that it gives the APPEARANCE that it's based more on the eyeball test than on data, since there really isn't any data yet on the guy. But if the Phils are OK with it, I sure won't argue with them.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I suggest is that it gives the APPEARANCE that it's based more on the eyeball test than on data, since there really isn't any data yet on the guy. But if the Phils are OK with it, I sure won't argue with them.

Sure there is, it's just not data from the major league level. That doesn't mean that it's completely useless though.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's strange sometimes how these plans work out. In 3 years, some ESPN scribe could be telling us all how the Phils looked like morons at the time but ....

I mean, wacky flavored smokes ... Moneyball ... the last thing they said in the movie was that the business model was designed to fail.

As I assert, it simply looks irrational but outside of long-term context, we don't know yet.
Yeah, the reason I don't like it is even if the guy turns out to be the next Mike Trout and completely outperforms expectations and the team gets him for a bargain then he's probably not going to be happy, and if he completely busts then the team is not going to be happy. Why not just pay him like other rookies and if he is so great that he makes 20 million a year in his last 2 years because of arbitration, so be it.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a lie according to acuna Braves have not made offer to Ronald Acuna Jr.

teams have money to burn so taking a chance isnt surprising
hell braves are paying agon 21 mil to play for the mets and 17 mil for kazmir to watch baseball on tv:suds:

Only way to get rid of Kemp was to take on those contracts. If we get anything out of McCarthy or Culberson, it'll be well worth it. Those contracts come off the books after this season, Kemp's contract goes through next season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure there is, it's just not data from the major league level. That doesn't mean that it's completely useless though.
Well, that was sort of my point. I mean, there's data on the guy from the age of 15. Hey, I'm just engaged in the conversation. I have no reason to evaluate it.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the reason I don't like it is even if the guy turns out to be the next Mike Trout and completely outperforms expectations and the team gets him for a bargain then he's probably not going to be happy, and if he completely busts then the team is not going to be happy. Why not just pay him like other rookies and if he is so great that he makes 20 million a year in his last 2 years because of arbitration, so be it.
If this is the case, this contract is a complete win for the Phillies. Unless he flat-out refuses to play or retires, we would be getting top-notch production for nothing. I don't give a fuck if Kingery doesn't like it- he signed the deal knowing that that risk existed. And if you want to look at it from his perspective, it would give him incentive to continue to produce for the next 5 years because he needs that big contract. Plus, to be fair, I think the contract can get up to $65 million if certain options vest, so if he is Mike Trout, he will be making $65 million.

I think this is a great deal on both sides. A guy with no MLB experience just got $24 million guaranteed. He could break his leg tomorrow, never get a single PA in baseball, and he's still rich as fuck as long as he's not stupid with his money.

The Phillies avoid arbitration with him. They are paying him more money for fewer years of control by calling him up now, and Kingery is getting guaranteed money no matter what. I think the Phillies attempt to contend this year is a big reason for signing him to this contract. I think it was a great deal.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is the case, this contract is a complete win for the Phillies. Unless he flat-out refuses to play or retires, we would be getting top-notch production for nothing. I don't give a fuck if Kingery doesn't like it- he signed the deal knowing that that risk existed. And if you want to look at it from his perspective, it would give him incentive to continue to produce for the next 5 years because he needs that big contract. Plus, to be fair, I think the contract can get up to $65 million if certain options vest, so if he is Mike Trout, he will be making $65 million.

I think this is a great deal on both sides. A guy with no MLB experience just got $24 million guaranteed. He could break his leg tomorrow, never get a single PA in baseball, and he's still rich as fuck as long as he's not stupid with his money.

The Phillies avoid arbitration with him. They are paying him more money for fewer years of control by calling him up now, and Kingery is getting guaranteed money no matter what. I think the Phillies attempt to contend this year is a big reason for signing him to this contract. I think it was a great deal.
I didn't know about all the incentives. I guess that makes more sense. It just seems odd that they would do this for a guy that was a 2nd round draft pick and had a couple good years in the minors. He doesn't even have a starting spot, per se. But hey, I'll go with it. Maybe this time next year instead of saying "Hail Cesar" everyone will be saying "Hail to the King-ery"

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know about all the incentives. I guess that makes more sense. It just seems odd that they would do this for a guy that was a 2nd round draft pick and had a couple good years in the minors. He doesn't even have a starting spot, per se. But hey, I'll go with it. Maybe this time next year instead of saying "Hail Cesar" everyone will be saying "Hail to the King-ery"
gets opening day off:suds:
. Cesar Hernandez (S) 2B
2. Carlos Santana (S) 1B
3. Nick Williams (L) RF
4. Rhys Hoskins (R) LF
5. Aaron Altherr (R) CF
6. J.P. Crawford (L) SS
7. Maikel Franco (R) 3B
8. Andrew Knapp (S) C
9. Aaron Nola (R) P

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cost certainty. That is why teams do this. $24 mil over six years isn't that much even if the player flames out. If you have a prospect who is close to MLB ready while being confident his floor after a few seasons is at least a one war player, you make this deal. Now if the player turns into a beast, you are probably getting him for half his value through his arbitration years, not counting any discounted option years.