• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minor leaguer getting long term contract

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you there's no way the Yankees are making any kind of long term offer to Torres before seeing him in at least 1 full MLB season, and most likely considerably more.

Judge and Sanchez are proof of that. If they haven't gotten those offers after their legitimate MLB production, Torres sure as hell isn't with only MiLB service.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you there's no way the Yankees are making any kind of long term offer to Torres before seeing him in at least 1 full MLB season, and most likely considerably more.

Judge and Sanchez are proof of that. If they haven't gotten those offers after their legitimate MLB production, Torres sure as hell isn't with only MiLB service.
I wouldn't think the Yankees would do it, but then I wouldn't have thought the Phillies would either. The only other instances of teams doing something like this was a couple years ago when the Astros did it with Jon Singleton and I think in the 90's the Indians did it with some young players (but those guys I think were at least already in the major leagues)

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the contract the Reds gave Aroldis Chapman was that sort. I know it was for 5 years, more or less. $30M seems like it was.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the contract the Reds gave Aroldis Chapman was that sort. I know it was for 5 years, more or less. $30M seems like it was.

But he was a pure free agent though, wasn't he? Free to sign with the highest bidder.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he was a pure free agent though, wasn't he? Free to sign with the highest bidder.
yeah, I think you're right. The international guys don't have the same restrictions as players taken in the draft

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't think the Yankees would do it, but then I wouldn't have thought the Phillies would either. The only other instances of teams doing something like this was a couple years ago when the Astros did it with Jon Singleton and I think in the 90's the Indians did it with some young players (but those guys I think were at least already in the major leagues)

The rays offered BJ upton a 10 year deal before he played a game for them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there are distinct differences in the Cuban signings arrangements. They are still guys who have no MLB time.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rays offered BJ upton a 10 year deal before he played a game for them.
I guess they dodged a bullet there

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should be pretty happy. It looks like a pretty team-friendly deal based on the terms I've seen.
I'm really kind of indifferent. I just don't understand it. The guy has zero major league playing time. Are they expecting him to be so good that they wouldn't be able to afford paying him in a couple years when he goes to arbitration? He wasn't even a top 100 prospect until this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for him, I just don't understand the contract. Also, as of now he doesn't even necessarily have a starting spot.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really kind of indifferent. I just don't understand it. The guy has zero major league playing time. Are they expecting him to be so good that they wouldn't be able to afford paying him in a couple years when he goes to arbitration? He wasn't even a top 100 prospect until this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for him, I just don't understand the contract. Also, as of now he doesn't even necessarily have a starting spot.
It gives the appearance of a front office being run by scatter-brains in the face of a global trend toward analytics and contracts that are weighted by the data as opposed to sentiment. It's not good for baseball to be this irrational when teams are constantly dumping salaries in the face of a serious case of collusion this winter.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ronald Acuna turned down an offer from the Braves. Don't blame him at all. If he's near as good as he's hyped up to be, he'll make a shit ton more by waiting. Hopefully it'll be with the Braves, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pissed him off with the whole start the season in AAA to get another year of team control when you could extend him well before team control runs out. They did it with Freddie Freeman, who was a September call up before his rookie season, and when Heyward was the top ranked prospect, he started in right field on opening day of his rookie season.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gives the appearance of a front office being run by scatter-brains in the face of a global trend toward analytics and contracts that are weighted by the data as opposed to sentiment. It's not good for baseball to be this irrational when teams are constantly dumping salaries in the face of a serious case of collusion this winter.
Well that's kind of the confusing part. In the case of the Phillies, the current front office and manager is way more focused on analytics than the previous one and has done a good job so far. (The previous front office was "old school" to the point where the GM once said something like "I don't really look at OBP" , among other things).
I just don't see the upside in signing a guy like Kingery for 24 million without any major league experience. In my opinion you pay him like a rookie and if he is really that exceptional he'll make a lot of money in arbitration. But even if that happens, they have the money to pay him. It seems like there is no upside for the team and if the guy busts they are throwing away $24 million.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ronald Acuna turned down an offer from the Braves. Don't blame him at all. If he's near as good as he's hyped up to be, he'll make a shit ton more by waiting. Hopefully it'll be with the Braves, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pissed him off with the whole start the season in AAA to get another year of team control when you could extend him well before team control runs out. They did it with Freddie Freeman, who was a September call up before his rookie season, and when Heyward was the top ranked prospect, he started in right field on opening day of his rookie season.
its a lie according to acuna Braves have not made offer to Ronald Acuna Jr.

teams have money to burn so taking a chance isnt surprising
hell braves are paying agon 21 mil to play for the mets and 17 mil for kazmir to watch baseball on tv:suds:

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's kind of the confusing part. In the case of the Phillies, the current front office and manager is way more focused on analytics than the previous one and has done a good job so far. (The previous front office was "old school" to the point where the GM once said something like "I don't really look at OBP" , among other things).
I just don't see the upside in signing a guy like Kingery for 24 million without any major league experience. In my opinion you pay him like a rookie and if he is really that exceptional he'll make a lot of money in arbitration. But even if that happens, they have the money to pay him. It seems like there is no upside for the team and if the guy busts they are throwing away $24 million.

By buying out the arbitration-eligible seasons and extending the contract beyond 2024, the Braves would eliminate the benefit of keeping Acuna off the big league roster through April 13.

The Phillies went this route on Sunday, when Scott Kingery, one of their top prospects, agreed to a six-year, $24 million deal. Kingery had also been targeted to join Philadelphia's roster at some point after April 13. But he will now likely make his big league debut during this week's opening series against the Braves at SunTrust Park.

Players with less than three years of service time who agree to a contract extension gain financial security to protect against injury or other unforeseen developments that could adversely affect future earnings. But a player with Acuna's tremendous talent could also end up leaving a significant amount of money on the table through his arbitration-eligible seasons.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heres how they afford that 24 mil

the team's bottom line has turned from red to black thanks to the payroll cut and a $5 billion, 25-year television deal with Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia that began last season.:suds:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heres how they afford that 24 mil

the team's bottom line has turned from red to black thanks to the payroll cut and a $5 billion, 25-year television deal with Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia that began last season.:suds:
Yeah I have no doubt they can afford the $24 million.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's strange sometimes how these plans work out. In 3 years, some ESPN scribe could be telling us all how the Phils looked like morons at the time but ....

I mean, wacky flavored smokes ... Moneyball ... the last thing they said in the movie was that the business model was designed to fail.

As I assert, it simply looks irrational but outside of long-term context, we don't know yet.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you honestly think that this contract must be defended with sentiment rather than data? I think you can make a case using either (or both). I'm not suggesting that the sentiment based case is a smart one of course.