• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Riley

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I can see the possibility of resentment by the players, but if a coach is any kind of a decent coach, he'll be able to influence the players in a positive way. My guess is Riley will convince some of the players that his way of doing things is better than Bo's way. GBR

God damniit Ex! line jumper!

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Word Extra absorbent :suds:

They'll be able to see the bo'shit right away and get some actual coaching

An extra absorbent fella is one who loves to soak up beer and other alcoholic drinks. I don't fall in that category.

I can't argue with you about the bo'shit though.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a parent of college athletes who had more than one head coach during their college careers, I will say athletes are high adaptable.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As a parent of college athletes who had more than one head coach during their college careers, I will say athletes are high adaptable.

This is why Riley should do well right out the gate. Eight wins at the very minimum. Now if he tries to do the Callahan and completely changes the offense immediately, we'll see a losing season in 2015.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ESPN rehash of everything we know.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...earch-brought-mike-riley-nebraska-cornhuskers

The face to face meeting started at 8 AM and ended around 10 AM.

Perlman and Eichorst talked. Invited Riley back in and offered him the job. Riley was doing other things in San Francisco at the time, so the secret meetings could not have lasted too long.

Then it was probably off to lunch and prepare for the plane ride back.

We know Perlman and Eichorst shared a plane from Oakland that landed just before 5 PM. It is around a 4 hour flight in a big passenger jet, no idea how long in the private.

Big_Red_Marine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't write this, someone else did. It's a good quick read about Mike Riley.

"I don't know what people's problem is with Riley. In over 40 years, Oregon State had 11 winning seasons. Riley accounted for 8 of those. Since the start of Riley's second stint at OSU, 2003, he has managed to attract 17 four star recruits to OSU and 1 five star. In that same time frame Nebraska has seen 80+ four and five star recruits.

Reeser Stadium can seat 45 000 people. That is only since 2005. Before that Reeser Stadium could hold fewer than 36 000 people.

With vastly inferior talent and resources Riley defeated #1 ranked and undefeated USC in 2008 and #3 ranked and undefeated USC in 2006. That 2008 USC team finished 12 - 1 and ranked #3 in the country. They would have played for the National Championship if not for Riley and Oregon State.

Since Pelini took over at Nebraska with his reputation as a defensive guru, Nebraska has had 5 games in which they surrendered 50 or more points. In that same time Riley, supposedly an offensive guru, has surrendered 50 or more points twice.

In 2010, one of Riley's losing season, OSU played TCU, Stanford, Oregon, and Boise St. TCU finished 13 - 0 and ranked #2. Oregon finished 12 - 1 and ranked #3. Stanford finished 12 - 1 and ranked #4. Boise State finished 12 - 1 and ranked #7. They also played 2 or 3 other top twenty five programs that year. Despite such a brutal schedule, not once during the season did OSU surrender 40 points or more.

The year that Wisconsin went 8 - 6 and beat Nebraska 70 -10 in the Big Ten Championship game, Oregon State also played Wisconsin. The score was very similer - 10 - 7, OSU. Who coached Wisconsin that year? Brett Bielema.

Riley has beaten top programs and gotten his team to play sound football for the most part despite a huge gap in talent and resources. The same could not be said for Pelini.

Riley may not take Nebraska to the promised land, but I would rather give him 3 years, than give Pelini one more."

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read there, BRM.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gives us a chance to win against anyone we face.

I'll take that over knowing we're going to get blown out. I remember earlier in the year when I made a thread stating our next blowout loss will be at Wisconsin.

It was, and it was too easy to predict.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oregon State recruits were EXCITED about their new coaching hire

Oregon State Beavers commits react to Gary Andersen hire with enthusiasm, excitement | OregonLive.com

Now, what was the Nebraska recruits thoughts on the new coach at Nebraska? Did they all sound excited? Rhetorical question.

Ken Goe calls it a bottom of the ninth game winning home run. A mid court shot at the buzzer. A hail mary with no time left for the win.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/i...n_states_hire_of_wisc.html#incart_maj-story-1

Last edited by a moderator:

Big_Red_Marine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One error I see in that bit I posted is the score between Wisconsin and Nebraska.... Wasn't 71-10. Wasn't it 70-31 or something?

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One error I see in that bit I posted is the score between Wisconsin and Nebraska.... Wasn't 71-10. Wasn't it 70-31 or something?

It was, but we got the jist of it.

The other thing that happened that year, I think it was after the game with Oregon State, the Wisconsin O line coach was FIRED because of how piss poor the O line was playing. Imagine that, firing a coach if something looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and defecates like a duck.

Also, Nebraska BEAT that Wisconsin team because it was the first B1G game of the season, 30-27.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oaknights, I just reread this thread could you please point to the datapoints that you refer to that are used to "convince me otherwise."

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oaknights, I just reread this thread could you please point to the datapoints that you refer to that are used to "convince me otherwise."

I'm not going to hold your hand and find the posts for you. Some of the topics that were discussed at length on here were his record against top 5 and top 10 teams, his reputation in the coaching community, and the players that he has recruited and taken from 2-3 star guys to now playing in the NFL. Just because you either did not pay attention or ignored these discussions does not mean that they didn't happen.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-21 against top 10 teams. 14-41 against top 25 teams

I'm not going to hold your hand and find the posts for you. Some of the topics that were discussed at length on here were his record against top 5 and top 10 teams, his reputation in the coaching community, and the players that he has recruited and taken from 2-3 star guys to now playing in the NFL. Just because you either did not pay attention or ignored these discussions does not mean that they didn't happen.

Oh, this one. Yup, very convincing.

I have been converted.

Huskerz fer Champs, baby. Pass the Koolaid.