• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan Whiffed on Every Recruit Who Took an Official Visit for the Ohio State Game

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The electricity in Ohio Stadium with the team, the band, and the crowd is just unbeatable. Not to mention a guy named Urban Meyers and a fantastic record of the number of his players that have been drafted in recent NFL drafts.

It's Urban Meyer, doofuss. Not Meyers.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a pretty good track record of graduating kids and getting kids into the NFL. We aren’t going to top OSU until he wins more games. But Michigan is still Michigan. And what we’re going on defense is special. That should attract kids easily.
I don't think it is. In the minds of michigan fans it is, but at least this year, recruits disagreed. In the grand scheme, it's been a long time since this has been true. Just telling a recruit "This is michigan" isn't enough. Something is going to have to change soon there.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is. In the minds of michigan fans it is, but at least this year, recruits disagreed. In the grand scheme, it's been a long time since this has been true. Just telling a recruit "This is michigan" isn't enough. Something is going to have to change soon there.
Does it though? I’m sure if they keep trying with the “This is Michigan” storyline it will get better. Just wait and see.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't ever think we'll recruit "bad". People are pointing out our below average class but it's only below average to the standard we set the last couple years. It still ranks in the top 25, and top 3 in the B10.

I'm not happy with this class but I don't think it's going to become the normal under Harbaugh, even if he doesn't win the conference or beat OSU this year. Our 2019 class already has 3 top 100 players out of 4 commits, and that's 3 more top 100 players than we got this year. So I'm not especially concerned.

Keep winning a lot of games, putting kids in the NFL and the recruits will still come.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it though? I’m sure if they keep trying with the “This is Michigan” storyline it will get better. Just wait and see.
Outside of a couple years during coaching transitions, Michigan' recruiting has maintained pretty good. If RR's 3-9/5-7 seasons aren't going to kill it, an 8 win Harbaugh season isn't going to.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't ever think we'll recruit "bad". People are pointing out our below average class but it's only below average to the standard we set the last couple years. It still ranks in the top 25, and top 3 in the B10.

I'm not happy with this class but I don't think it's going to become the normal under Harbaugh, even if he doesn't win the conference or beat OSU this year. Our 2019 class already has 3 top 100 players out of 4 commits, and that's 3 more top 100 players than we got this year. So I'm not especially concerned.

Keep winning a lot of games, putting kids in the NFL and the recruits will still come.

"Guys. Seriously. Nothing to be alarmed by. After Harbaugh's third season at the helm, we're 0-2 in bowl games, 1-5 against our rivals, didn't beat one +.500 team in 2017, are 9-8 over our last 17 games, and just had our lunches eaten on signing day. We've got 'em right where we want 'em. This what we expected when we made Harbaugh the highest paid college football coach in the country."

fuckin' lolz

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Guys. Seriously. Nothing to be alarmed by. After Harbaugh's third season at the helm, we're 0-2 in bowl games, 1-5 against our rivals, didn't beat one +.500 team in 2017, are 9-8 over our last 17 games, and just had our lunches eaten on signing day. We've got 'em right where we want 'em. This what we expected when we made Harbaugh the highest paid college football coach."

fuckin' lolz
I'm not saying it's a great position to be in but the reality is we can't compare ourselves to OSU yet. OSU is one of a few very special teams that coast through recruiting every year. The reality is the reality, Michigan's last 3 classes average out to rank 11th; still plenty good enough to continue winning. It's certainly not the end of the world but also certainly not where we want to be. It's not great, but it's not bad either. And I fully expect 2019 to be a much better recruiting year (and based on commits, it already is).

The whole "harbaugh gets paid a lot" argument it dumb. It's an arms race. It's the same reason Jimmy Garoppolo is the highest paid QB in the NFL. It's not because he's the best QB, it's because the market is increasing at a crazy rate. Harbaugh is a good coach, in order for us to get him we had to pay way above what other coaches were currently making. And since then, other coaches have been paid more. Jimbo Fisher's base salary is higher than Harbaughs and he just came off a season where FSU barely made a bowl game.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying it's a great position to be in but the reality is we can't compare ourselves to OSU yet. OSU is one of a few very special teams that coast through recruiting every year. The reality is the reality, Michigan's last 3 classes average out to rank 11th; still plenty good enough to continue winning. It's certainly not the end of the world but also certainly not where we want to be. It's not great, but it's not bad either. And I fully expect 2019 to be a much better recruiting year (and based on commits, it already is).

The whole "harbaugh gets paid a lot" argument it dumb. It's an arms race. It's the same reason Jimmy Garoppolo is the highest paid QB in the NFL. It's not because he's the best QB, it's because the market is increasing at a crazy rate. Harbaugh is a good coach, in order for us to get him we had to pay way above what other coaches were currently making. And since then, other coaches have been paid more. Jimbo Fisher's base salary is higher than Harbaughs and he just came off a season where FSU barely made a bowl game.

Run, MAIZE, run!

all-aboard-the-excuse-train-is-leaving-the-station.jpg

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run, MAIZE, run!

Where's the excuse? When you start off a paragraph with how the reality is that Michigan' doesn't compare to OSU -- I'm not sure how you're going to suggest I just made an excuse.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wrong, its below the likes of TN and everyone knows that coaching fiasco. There were others who had coaching changes that were ahead of MI like Neb. Even coaches with limited time beat Harbs.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong, its below the likes of TN and everyone knows that coaching fiasco. There were others who had coaching changes that were ahead of MI like Neb. Even coaches with limited time beat Harbs.
Nebraska was below Michigan. They were 22nd in the 247 composite, Michigan was 21st.

And Tennessee has the added benefit of having 6/8 of their four star recruits from their home state. There were a total of 6 four star players in the entire state of Michigan this year in terms of home state talent. It was a down year for that and I think that partially impacted our class as well.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats because he put together a better class in a much shorter time period. Oh and he has won a championship which Harbs hasnt.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska was below Michigan. They were 22nd in the 247 composite, Michigan was 21st.
Sorry I meant to say barely beat Neb even with the coaching change.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats because he put together a better class in a much shorter time period. Oh and he has won a championship which Harbs hasnt.
Who did? Jimbo? He's also in the state of texas were 4 star recruits grow on trees.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait a minute here. Are you trying to say that with other programs, they pay coaches based on what they've accomplished?

@MAIZEandBLUE09! What do you make of this nonsense?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See MAIZE go. Go, MAIZE, GO!

Ok, I fully admit that one was an excuse. But IMO, a legitimate one. The state of Texas has EIGHT TIMES the number of four/five star recruits than Michigan. 14 of A&M's 23 person class were from the state of Texas. Any coach with a pulse should be able to do OK recruiting under those circumstances. With a more talented crop of state of Michigan recruits next year, I expect our in-state haul will be more impressive on paper as well given usually 1/3 or 1/2 of our classes come from that.