• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan pulls out of Arkansas series

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a few more stats to back up why I think NBC was more than just a "silent partner" in getting Michigan back on ND's schedule:

Notre Dame-Michigan on NBC Watched by 6.4 Million Viewers

NOTRE DAME-MICHIGAN ON NBC WATCHED BY 6.4 MILLION VIEWERS

Game Wins Night for NBC

Most-Watched Notre Dame Primetime Game Ever on NBC

Viewership Up 100% vs. Last Year’s Primetime Game vs. USC

Two-Game Notre Dame on NBC Average Up 28% vs. 2011

NEW YORK – Sept. 25, 2012 – NBC Sports’ presentation of Michigan at Notre Dame this past Saturday night was watched by 6.4 million viewers, allowing NBC to win the night in primetime, and making the contest the most-watched Notre Dame primetime game ever on NBC as well as the most-watched Fighting Irish game on the broadcast network in more than two years. Through two games this season, Notre Dame is averaging 4.5 million viewers on NBC, up 28% as compared to the first two games of last season (3.5 million).

Michigan-Notre Dame nets an average of 8.65 million viewers, helps ESPN to record-setting day

Michigan-Notre Dame nets an average of 8.65 million viewers, helps ESPN to record-setting day

ANN ARBOR -- Michigan and Notre Dame played in front of the largest crowd to ever watch an NCAA football game Saturday night in Ann Arbor.

And it also helped ESPN set a new benchmark for television ratings on a football Saturday.

Michigan's 41-30 win over Notre Dame drew an average of 8.65 million viewers in prime time on ESPN, and was the cornerstone game in what turned out to be the network's most-viewed college football regular season Saturday of all time.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV contracts are already signed, NBC might get more money from commercials but that's it. And that's a big MIGHT.

What do you mean "might"? Commercial revenue is determined each year. If NBC has a history of big ratings for a ND vs Michigan game, they will charge advertisers a higher premium. Also, Michigan (primarily due to Harbaugh) is a ratings juggernaut that past 2 seasons, and there is not a metric that says that their popularity is waning. NBC could EASILY command a huge take for ad space during that game in 2018. This is the same way the NFL commands more ad money for their nationally televised games. The bigger the game, the more money to advertise on it. And when it comes to these types of games, people pay to advertise.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, could you say it is possible....just listen...is it possible that for the sake of a BIG ratings boost that Michigan brings with their audience, that NBC with Notre Dame extended this scheduling branch with the caveat that NBC and Notre Dame would help offset the $2 million loss that Michigan would take for canceling the Arkansas game?

I mean, could that be a possibility?
You are retarded.

The network deals are done and won't be changed no matter who they play until the contracts are up. The only way Michigan could recoop the money is if they played at a neutral site and they aren't.

One game isn't going to make a difference and you have a hard time convincing me that Michigan vs ND on NBC is going through get that much higher ratings than UM vs Hawgs on CBS at 3:30, especially that early in the season.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are retarded.

The network deals are done and won't be changed no matter who they play until the contracts are up. The only way Michigan could recoop the money is if they played at a neutral site and they aren't.

One game isn't going to make a difference and you have a hard time convincing me that Michigan vs ND on NBC is going through get that much higher ratings than UM vs Hawgs on CBS at 3:30, especially that early in the season.

So you are saying that there would be little to no difference in viewership of a Michigan vs. Notre Dame game, and Michigan vs. Arkansas game?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are retarded.

Ok, I am dumb, but that is beside the point. Help me understand this point. How much money does Michigan get in this 2 game series with Notre Dame? How much money would Michigan have gotten if they would have fulfilled their series with Arkansas?

I'm just trying to figure out why Michigan would drop $2 million just because Notre Dame asked them to? Again, maybe I'm way off, but I got a feeling that Notre Dame made it worth it to Michigan. The NBC ratings from several of the past few games makes me think NBC was pushing to get Michigan back on the schedule.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying that there would be little to no difference in viewership of a Michigan vs. Notre Dame game, and Michigan vs. Arkansas game?
Correct because CBS has proven time and again the SEC game of the week pulls high numbers. Plus you would have two conferences tuning in verses one conference and one team.

Everything does not work the way you think it does. There are these little things called facts and statistics that get in the way of your fantasy world.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean "might"? Commercial revenue is determined each year. If NBC has a history of big ratings for a ND vs Michigan game, they will charge advertisers a higher premium. Also, Michigan (primarily due to Harbaugh) is a ratings juggernaut that past 2 seasons, and there is not a metric that says that their popularity is waning. NBC could EASILY command a huge take for ad space during that game in 2018. This is the same way the NFL commands more ad money for their nationally televised games. The bigger the game, the more money to advertise on it. And when it comes to these types of games, people pay to advertise.

That's because NFL only has a handful of nationally televised games, the rest are regional each week. Most college football games are national if on tv.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct because CBS has proven time and again the SEC game of the week pulls high numbers. Plus you would have two conferences tuning in verses one conference and one team.

Everything does not work the way you think it does. There are these little things called facts and statistics that get in the way of your fantasy world.

You are giving opinions. You haven't give one stat or fact yet. When was the last time Arkansas pulled a "high number"?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because NFL only has a handful of nationally televised games, the rest are regional each week. Most college football games are national if on tv.

Again, what does that matter? If a game has a potential for higher ratings, that broadcasting company will charge higher ad revenue. Just like the NFL does. The ad sales for each particular game are being determined right now, and they all are not the same. Are you saying that Michigan vs. ND will not make A LOT more ad revenue than ND vs. Navy would?

So a game like Michigan vs. Notre Dame will have a HUGE viewership demand, thus should have a higher ad price tag. With NBC being independent and only showing Notre Dame home games, it would make sense that they would do whatever they could to bring in the highest rated teams. Michigan certainly would fit that category...especially since Harbaugh came back.

Isn't it amazing that Notre Dame dropped Michigan when Hoke was running the show, but was back VERY quickly when Harbaugh started showing up in most college football headlines?

Well I've got to go. I concede that I am probably not as smart as you guys. I hope you all have a GREAT weekend! :10:

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are giving opinions. You haven't give one stat or fact yet. When was the last time Arkansas pulled a "high number"?
Facts:

CBS averages 5.7 million viewers a week.
Early games especially cross conference games routinely do much better.

I bet you the UM vs ND does better on ABC then when it's played on NBC.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facts:

CBS averages 5.7 million viewers a week.
Early games especially cross conference games routinely do much better.

I bet you the UM vs ND does better on ABC then when it's played on NBC.

They may, but last I checked 8.65 million viewers IS MUCH bigger than 5.7 million...and that 8.65 million was with Brady Hoke at the helm. Harbaugh is probably good for a boost on that number. On NBC, I'll bet the game draws at least 7-8 million viewers (and could hit 10 million on ABC in 2019). We shall see in about a year and a half.

I just don't see how you can say that Michigan vs. Arkansas would draw in near the same number of viewers that Michigan vs. Notre Dame would attract...especially nation wide. Notre Dame has a HUGE fan base across the world, and I don't think Arkansas moves the viewership numbers one bit outside of a few states in the south.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may, but last I checked 8.65 million viewers IS MUCH bigger than 5.7 million...and that 8.65 million was with Brady Hoke at the helm. Harbaugh is probably good for a boost on that number. On NBC, I'll bet the game draws at least 7-8 million viewers (and could hit 10 million on ABC in 2019). We shall see in about a year and a half.

I just don't see how you can say that Michigan vs. Arkansas would draw in near the same number of viewers that Michigan vs. Notre Dame would attract...especially nation wide. Notre Dame has a HUGE fan base across the world, and I don't think Arkansas moves the viewership numbers one bit outside of a few states in the south.
The highest rated game week 1 last year was ND vs Texas at 6.4 on ABC and it was the only game played on a Sunday night.

LSU vs Wisconsin did 4.6 on Saturday Night and played opposite Texas A&M and UCLA who did 2.0.

NBC didn't even have a game over 4.9 last year and the best rating ND got was against Texas on ABC.

The ABC time slot especially if they move it to Sunday can generate big numbers but NBC isn't and the difference on ABC between ND and any P5 team on a Sunday week 1 is going to marginal because there isn't any competition.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is what old news which I didn't pay attention to until I saw an article where Arkansas had finally found a replacement opponent (Colorado St).

So an SEC team is going to play home and home with a B1G team and they cancel?

For real all Michigan fans can just STFU about out of conference schedules. I don't give a crap you did it to play ND (which get off their nut sack and have some pride they freakin ditched your ass) no more whining period.

It was a home and home agreement and everything you bitches complain that the SEC doesn't do and you canceled.
You know the answer, Michigan felt the series with ND was important. A rivalry game is always more important than any other non-conference game. Secondly, our SOS probably wasn't going to be impacted much by dropping a team that won 3, 7, 8, & 7 games in the last 4 years. The ND swap is equal if not better. And lastly, maybe you should check out our future schedules first before getting all pissed off about something that happened a year ago. Michigan opens the season with Florida next year. Our next football game is against a better SEC opponent.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Michigan even a ND rival? ND has Stanford, USC, Navy, shoot even Michigan state seems like a bigger rival for ND than Michigan is. This works out for Arkansas though, Fort Collins > ann harbor
ND's biggest rival? No. But ND isn't Michigan's biggest rival either. But the two certainly have a rivalry and it's hard to question that. The two schools are too similar and it's unique because it seems like the fan bases want to out elitist the other. Definitely provides for some fun games. Some of the funnest games I've watched in the last 15 years have been UM vs. ND games. I also like that they usually happen early on in the season.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND's biggest rival? No. But ND isn't Michigan's biggest rival either. But the two certainly have a rivalry and it's hard to question that. The two schools are too similar and it's unique because it seems like the fan bases want to out elitist the other. Definitely provides for some fun games. Some of the funnest games I've watched in the last 15 years have been UM vs. ND games. I also like that they usually happen early on in the season.
I had no idea that Michigan was a Catholic school, was independent, located in Indiana and isn't funded by government entities.

You guys are practically twins!

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh realized playing Arkansas didn't generate headlines as much as he thought it would to keep Michigan relevant.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is what old news which I didn't pay attention to until I saw an article where Arkansas had finally found a replacement opponent (Colorado St).

So an SEC team is going to play home and home with a B1G team and they cancel?

For real all Michigan fans can just STFU about out of conference schedules. I don't give a crap you did it to play ND (which get off their nut sack and have some pride they freakin ditched your ass) no more whining period.

It was a home and home agreement and everything you bitches complain that the SEC doesn't do and you canceled.

I guess the SEC doesn't do such things. Right?

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the SEC doesn't do such things. Right?
I don't recall anyone in the SEC paying 2mm to get out of a contract so they can swing from ND's nut sack. I also don't see any SEC posters bitching about out of conference schedules.