• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan pulls out of Arkansas series

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time Oklahoma pulled out of Arkansas, it was 103-0.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Harbaugh's excited to take his team to Rome for some practices he recently said in an interview he needs his team to play lighter on their feet. So next year he's taking them to the moon to practice.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of this shit would happen if the conferences weren't so fucking big. ND has to play five ACC foes in order to stay in the ACC for the other sports. That took up several spots to play their other games and Michigan was dumped. The B1G went to 9 conference games (which still doesn't get to the in conference equity of schedule issue) so Michigan dumped Arkie.

Huge conferences suck all the way around IMHO.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me one game that has a name I would recognize:

Wide Right
Catholics vs Crimminals

The game didn't have a name like:

Holy War
Red River Shootout
Bedlam
Backyard Brawl
The Big Game

Like I said ND didn't even think the game was worth keeping on the schedule.

Ha ha. So it needs a name to be a quality rivalry? I guess we can scratch off the Michigan vs Ohio State rivalry then.

I'm not saying it is as big a rivalry as some of the games you listed above, but it is head and shoulders about the Arkansas game. It's literally like trading a Camry for an Escalade, and I think most outside of SEC fans would agree with me...although I've already been wrong a few times today, maybe I'm wrong about that.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND has to play five ACC foes in order to stay in the ACC for the other sports. That took up several spots to play their other games and Michigan was dumped. The B1G went to 9 conference games (which still doesn't get to the in conference equity of schedule issue) so Michigan dumped Arkie.

Huge conferences suck all the way around IMHO.

That is why I heard ND backed out of the annual Michigan game. Their rivalries with USC and Stanford are much bigger in ND's world, so naturally Michigan was the odd guy out. I'm glad it is back! Dumping Arkansas for ND was a pretty easy decision IMO, and I still contend it will not cost Michigan a dime. They will make more money, and game more exposure, from nationally televised ND games than games against Arkansas, but I have no way of proving that. Plus if ND gets their act together, it could potentially be two top #10 teams playing every year. I don't think that will happen with Arkansas anytime soon. (although, they have looked really good at times the past few years)

Last edited:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is proof that Jimmy Jam's scared of Bret Bielema.

:harbaugh:
Mongolian BBQ in Ann Arbor demanded this series get snipped before Bielema bankrupts the location.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@belcherboy you are neglecting to take a look at the recruiting aspect where the kids down south gets to see Michigan play in person where it's fairly easy for Indiana boys to watch Michigan play live.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@belcherboy you are neglecting to take a look at the recruiting aspect where the kids down south gets to see Michigan play in person where it's fairly easy for Indiana boys to watch Michigan play live.

In Arkansas?

Michigan already has scheduled a game with Florida (in Texas) next season, games out west against Washington and in the south against VaTech in coming years, and will likely have another one with a team like Alabama at a neutral location in upcoming years (they have 4 open dates in 2018 and 2019). Also, in the far future, they have a series with Texas IIRC.

Again, maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't see a downside to trading Arkansas for ND. On top of that, this series will likely be extended past 2 years. Arkansas was just a two year series.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Arkansas?

Michigan already has scheduled a game with Florida (in Texas) next season, games out west against Washington and in the south against VaTech in coming years, and will likely have another one with a team like Alabama at a neutral location in upcoming years (they have 4 open dates in 2018 and 2019).

Again, maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't see a downside to trading Arkansas for ND. On top of that, this series will likely be extended past 2 years. Arkansas was just a two year series.
Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee, pretty much that whole area.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee, pretty much that whole area.

But one game @ Arkansas isn't going to change recruiting for Michigan. IMO, it likely wouldn't help them at all in recruiting. Now a big win against a top 10 ND team would be MUCH more help in recruiting IMO...especially if recruits were on official visits at Michigan.

Of course ND would have to get back to the top 10, but they usually are well ranked at the beginning of the season...about the time Michigan would play them.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But one game @ Arkansas isn't going to change recruiting for Michigan. IMO, it likely wouldn't help them at all in recruiting. Now a big win against a top 10 ND team would be MUCH more help in recruiting IMO...especially if recruits were on official visits at Michigan.

Of course ND would have to get back to the top 10, but they usually are well ranked at the beginning of the season...about the time Michigan would play them.
Arkansas is more likely to be top 10 than Notre Dame at this point.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arkansas is more likely to be top 10 than Notre Dame at this point.

Maybe, but going by recruiting rankings (which I believe are a better measurement for future rankings), ND has A MUCH bigger chance of being highly ranked than Arkansas. Regardless, this UM vs. ND game has happened a dozen times over the past 2 decades. Better to invest in that series, than a 2 games and out series with Arkansas. Just my two cents.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Michigan even a ND rival? ND has Stanford, USC, Navy, shoot even Michigan state seems like a bigger rival for ND than Michigan is. This works out for Arkansas though, Fort Collins > ann harbor

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Michigan even a ND rival? ND has Stanford, USC, Navy, shoot even Michigan state seems like a bigger rival for ND than Michigan is. This works out for Arkansas though, Fort Collins > ann harbor

It is MUCH more of a rivalry for Michigan than ND....that is why they dropped Michigan when they took on the ACC schedule.

If you care to read up on it, here is a good site: The History of a Rivalry: Notre Dame and Michigan // The Observer

Some Rivalry Highlights:
1887: First Meeting
1910: Yost and Rockne had a HUGE feud that stopped the games for over 3 decades
1943: #1 ND beats #2 Michigan at the Big House
1981: Michigan blows out #1 ND
1989: Rocket Ismail returns 2 kickoffs for TD's (88 and 92 yards) as #1 ND beats #2 Michigan
1991: Michigan beats ND on a 4th down endzone catch to Desmond Howard
2011: Michigan comes back from 24-7 to beat ND 35-31 on a bomb

I'm sure I've missed a few more great games in there, but this rivalry has a LONG history.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

USC and Navy for sure are bigger rivalries. Nothing will ever touch those.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the specific numbers in the deal? Did NBC have anything to do with pushing ND back to Michigan? Where do you get your financial numbers from?
The numbers don't matter it's the same for both teams so it washes. NBC isn't going to pay a premium to get Michigan to play when they already have all ND's home games. Try to keep up and pay attention.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers don't matter it's the same for both teams so it washes. NBC isn't going to pay a premium to get Michigan to play when they already have all ND's home games. Try to keep up and pay attention.

So it wouldn't be in their best interests with advertisers to draw in a bigger viewing audience? I think NBC has some influence in who ND schedules. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it wouldn't be in their best interests with advertisers to draw in a bigger viewing audience? I think NBC has some influence in who ND schedules. Maybe I'm wrong though.
That is money NBC makes but none of it flows to Michigan. If you are a visiting team you get a flat rate and that's it. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Michigan isn't going through make another dime by playing ND then it would Arkansas but paid 2 million to do it. You could save 2mm and just played Arkansas.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is money NBC makes but none of it flows to Michigan. If you are a visiting team you get a flat rate and that's it. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Michigan isn't going through make another dime by playing ND then it would Arkansas but paid 2 million to do it. You could save 2mm and just played Arkansas.

Again, educate me, what are the exact financial terms of the Notre Dame and Michigan series? You seem to have the inside connection.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is money NBC makes but none of it flows to Michigan.

Also, could you say it is possible....just listen...is it possible that for the sake of a BIG ratings boost that Michigan brings with their audience, that NBC with Notre Dame extended this scheduling branch with the caveat that NBC and Notre Dame would help offset the $2 million loss that Michigan would take for canceling the Arkansas game?

I mean, could that be a possibility?