• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan AD releases statement...at 1am...condradicting Hoke hours before

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MGOBLUE.COM Michigan Athletics Statement Regarding Student-Athlete Safety and Welfare - University of Michigan Official Athletic Site

Ultimate responsibility for the health and safety of our student-athletes resides with each team's coach and with me, as the Director of Athletics. We are committed to continuously improving our procedures to better protect the health and welfare of our student-athletes.
I have had numerous meetings beginning Sunday morning to thoroughly review the situation that occurred at Saturday's football game regarding student-athlete Shane Morris. I have met with those who were directly involved and who were responsible for managing Shane's care and determining his medical fitness for participation.
In my judgment, there was a serious lack of communication that led to confusion on the sideline. Unfortunately, this confusion created a circumstance that was not in the best interest of one of our student-athletes. I sincerely apologize for the mistakes that were made. We have to learn from this situation, and moving forward, we will make important changes so we can fully live up to our shared goal of putting student-athlete safety first.
I have worked with Darryl Conway, my associate athletic director for Student-Athlete Health and Welfare, to develop a detailed accounting of the events that occurred. Darryl is the person who oversees all athletic training personnel and serves as the liaison to the physicians we work with through the University of Michigan Health System and University Health Services.
It is important to note that our athletic trainers and physicians working with Michigan Athletics have the unchallengeable authority to remove student-athletes from the field of play. Michigan Athletics has numerous medical professionals at every football competition including certified athletic trainers and several physicians from various relevant specialties.
I, along with Darryl and our administrative and medical teams, have spent much of the last two days carefully reviewing the situation regarding Shane Morris. We now understand that, despite having the right people on the sidelines assessing our student-athletes' well being, the systems we had in place were inadequate to handle this unique and complex situation properly.
With his permission, I can share that Shane Morris suffered an ankle injury during the third quarter of Saturday's game. He was evaluated for that injury by an orthopedic surgeon and an athletic trainer several times during the game. With each of these evaluations it was determined that his ankle injury did not prevent him from playing.
In the fourth quarter, Shane took a significant hit and stumbled after getting up. From the field level and without the benefit of replays, medical and coaching staffs did not see the hit. Because they did not see the hit, the athletic training staff believed Shane stumbled because of his ankle injury. The team neurologist, watching from further down the field, also did not see the hit. However, the neurologist, with expertise in detecting signs of concussion, saw Shane stumble and determined he needed to head down the sideline to evaluate Shane.
Shane came off the field after the following play and was reassessed by the head athletic trainer for the ankle injury. Since the athletic trainer had not seen the hit to the chin and was not aware that a neurological evaluation was necessary, he cleared Shane for one additional play.
The neurologist and other team physicians were not aware that Shane was being asked to return to the field, and Shane left the bench when he heard his name called and went back into the game. Under these circumstances, a player should not be allowed to re-enter the game before being cleared by the team physician. This clearly identifies the need for improvements in our sideline and communications processes.
Following the game, a comprehensive concussion evaluation was completed and Shane has been evaluated twice since the game. As of Sunday, Shane was diagnosed with a probable, mild concussion, and a high ankle sprain. That probable concussion diagnosis was not at all clear on the field on Saturday or in the examination that was conducted post-game. Unfortunately, there was inadequate communication between our physicians and medical staff and Coach Hoke was not provided the updated diagnosis before making a public statement on Monday. This is another mistake that cannot occur again.
Going forward, we have identified two changes in our procedures that we will implement immediately:
We will have an athletic medicine professional in the press box or video booth to ensure that someone will have a bird's eye view of the on-field action, have television replay available and have the ability to communicate with medical personnel on the sidelines.
We are also examining how to reinforce our sideline communication processes and how decisions will be made in order to make sure that information regarding student-athlete availability to participate is communicated effectively amongst the medical team and to our coaches.
We have learned from this experience, and will continue to improve ways to keep our student-athletes' health and safety our number one priority.
So Morris did have a concussion. Was left in the game....and then put back in the game. Then it was either lied about two days later by the head coach at the press conference, or he still had absolutely no idea that his player was concussed. Either way you look at it his should = immediate termination. Inexcusable.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tldr

but I basically take it that this is a way to fire him without having to buyout his contract

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach 2.0 incoming.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tldr

but I basically take it that this is a way to fire him without having to buyout his contract

Yeah, I didn't read all of it either. Too much BS.

With that said, this is just embarrassing. And word is that it took so long to release because the AD wanted doctors to push the issue under the rug and they wouldn't budge in the fact that he had a concussion.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine either Hoke or this AD having a job at Michigan next season....

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw another bag of garbage on the Michigan dumpster fire.

Y

Yapp14

With that said, this is just embarrassing. And word is that it took so long to release because the AD wanted doctors to push the issue under the rug and they wouldn't budge in the fact that he had a concussion.
There is an article floating around (and I will find the link) that Michigan has reached out to the AD's at UCONN and BC

Y

Yapp14

I like how the media are really playing up the concussion side of this. Not trying to downplay a concussion but this seems to be taking on a life of its own

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How can you not read an article that you yourself posted?

I'll sum it up for you. The AD is not blaming Hoke. He's blaming communication flaws amongst personnel and lack of in place procedure regarding checks and balances.

I didn't see any criticism directed at Hoke alone.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't understand how Hoke employed right now. Imagine you are a parent of a Michigan football player or a recruit. No way I would trust my lid with him after what transpired. Get out in front of this or you could lose a recruiting cycle. Well that and it was a POS move to put that kid back in

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you not read an article that you yourself posted?

I'll sum it up for you. The AD is not blaming Hoke. He's blaming communication flaws amongst personnel and lack of in place procedure regarding checks and balances.

I didn't see any criticism directed at Hoke alone.

I wonder if there is a way for coaches to be in touch with each other at all times on the sidelines. Like a communication device of some sort that could send and receive voice almost instantaneously.

I bet if they had that technology this may have been avoided.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how the media are really playing up the concussion side of this. Not trying to downplay a concussion but this seems to be taking on a life of its own

There is video of that kid becoming dizzy & having trouble even walking off the field. And the kid was allowed back in the game! The staff & trainers F'd up big-time & should have never allowed that kid to go back on the field.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I don't understand how Hoke employed right now. Imagine you are a parent of a Michigan football player or a recruit. No way I would trust my lid with him after what transpired. Get out in front of this or you could lose a recruiting cycle. Well that and it was a POS move to put that kid back in

I agree with you screw with my lids and I'm coming for you guns blazing. I mean what is going to happen the next time I want to store leftovers and I can't find my tupperware lids? Trust me Hoke does not want to be between me and my lids.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i watched the game and when this all went down. Hoke looked lost , depleted , and in a state of shock by this point in the game. it was embarrassing to watch.

Y

Yapp14

i watched the game and when this all went down. Hoke looked lost , depleted , and in a state of shock by this point in the game. it was embarrassing to watch.
The players have given up. There was no indication of competitiveness on the field

Y

Yapp14

There is video of that kid becoming dizzy & having trouble even walking off the field. And the kid was allowed back in the game! The staff & trainers F'd up big-time & should have never allowed that kid to go back on the field.
As a former college FB player I can tell you that pretty much EVERY team whether they are DI or DIII instructs their trainers and medical staff to keep an eye on players during the game. In many cases position coaches do the same. The Head coach and coordinators cannot possibly watch every player every second of the game. So it is possible that Hoke was unaware? Certainly, but the dozens of other staff on the sideline? No, thats unacceptable.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine either Hoke or this AD having a job at Michigan next season....

I'm wondering the same. They might have to do what Nebraska did in 2007 where they had to fire the AD Steve Petersen along with HC Bill Callahan because the two were joined at the hip.

For an AD to fire a coach that he hired, he has to admit he made a mistake, and many of those guys have too much pride for that.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Dave Brandon's Wikipedia page:

David Arundel "Dave" Brandon (born May 15, 1952) was formerly chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and chief pizza boy of Domino's Pizza. He is widely known for commercials with Domino's insulting its own product, a ploy he engaged in at the University of Michigan as Athletic Director. By systematically destroying the product, he now has further fodder for creating additional revenue channels in: "This is the NEW Michigan".