• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Bennett to Seahawks: Pay Kam Chancellor

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Mr Bennett take a pay cut then.

Right now the Hawks do not have the room to "pay" Kam which i feel is to bad because in my eyes he is more important to the team than Bennett is. Bennett is a great player but like i have stated before he is not our best DE that honor goes to Avril right now. The Hawks have been talking to Kam since April about getting him a new contract but right now their hands are very well tied. They just don't have the room to pay him 11-12 million a year which is now the Market value for him.

This is the type of things i do not like about Bennett, he knows the Hawks and Kam are all ready talking and he tells them to "Pay the man" knowing they do not have the cap space to do so right now. So be a real team player Mr Loudmouth Bennett and take a pay cut. Put up or shut up!

How can the Hawks get Kam signed people? i want to hear your opinions and options to get Kam his 11-12mill a year deal and fit it into the cap. Who do we cut? restructure? How can we get one of the major heartbeats of this defense locked up for another 2-3 years?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody is gone after this year. Doesn't have to be Kam, but it's going to be somebody expensive.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam will be a jaguar in 2018.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham probably won't be on the team next year and what little savings you can get for Kearse. There's a projection of the Hawks being over 30 mil to spend next off season but not sure if that includes these possible cuts.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham probably won't be on the team next year and what little savings you can get for Kearse. There's a projection of the Hawks being over 30 mil to spend next off season but not sure if that includes these possible cuts.
34 mil I believe and that doesn't include Graham or Kam. If they cut Kearse that adds another 5 mil for next year. Actually almost 7 mil if they cut Kearse this off season. Still not a ton of money, because cost of the drafts, resigning the minimum cost type to fill the roster, injury fund.
Hard to say what will happen, may come down to market value for Kam. With the right cost, I think the Seahawks would like to resign Kam, probably won't happen. The secondary studs are getting up there in age, where bang for your buck starts fading, contracts become extremely expensive at just the time performance could start slipping.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
34 mil I believe and that doesn't include Graham or Kam. If they cut Kearse that adds another 5 mil for next year. Actually almost 7 mil if they cut Kearse this off season. Still not a ton of money, because cost of the drafts, resigning the minimum cost type to fill the roster, injury fund.
Hard to say what will happen, may come down to market value for Kam. With the right cost, I think the Seahawks would like to resign Kam, probably won't happen. The secondary studs are getting up there in age, where bang for your buck starts fading, contracts become extremely expensive at just the time performance could start slipping.

I think 10 comes off the books for Graham and we'll go with the 7 mil you suggested for Kearse. That would put them around 51 mil and with the way JS works contracts, it's possible to have both Britt and Kam resigned with money left over.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 10 comes off the books for Graham and we'll go with the 7 mil you suggested for Kearse. That would put them around 51 mil and with the way JS works contracts, it's possible to have both Britt and Kam resigned with money left over.

Seahawks cap numbers in 2018 do not include Graham, because his contract is done after this season,so.....without Graham 34 mil in cap space.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks cap numbers in 2018 do not include Graham, because his contract is done after this season,so.....without Graham 34 mil in cap space.

Damn it!!!!! That ruined my theory.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the FO is adamant about keeping Kam, they can get it done easily by releasing one or 2 offensive starters. They won't release MB.
My opinion is that Seattle won't pay what it will take to resign Kam. We will end up with a 3rd or 4th round comp pic.
If we are really lucky, his replacement is already on the roster.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the FO is adamant about keeping Kam, they can get it done easily by releasing one or 2 offensive starters. They won't release MB.
My opinion is that Seattle won't pay what it will take to resign Kam. We will end up with a 3rd or 4th round comp pic.
If we are really lucky, his replacement is already on the roster.

Don't think they'll resign him either. The NFL is a churn, old expensive players out, young cheap players in. Love Kam but no worries someone will give him that big contract if he plays well in 2017. Wish him well, whatever the case is.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that they drafted 3 safeties this year for a reason.

I am more worried about ET retiring if Kam goes elsewhere, and then Sherman possibly considered for a trade. We could lose the entire LOB in one offseason, which would be a big problem.

I could see them trying to hang onto Kam for another year or 2. Possibly even tagging him?

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget that in a perfect world Eddie Lacy pans out and he has a monster year. That will be another priority signing that would impact cap space.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember you need to replace Graham. He's a veteran presence and huge target when RW scrambles. Sure you could hope to get a lesser talented TE to replace him but that goes against what Seattle tried to do by bringing JG in. Unfortunately, he hasn't played up to his potential (injury plays a lot of that). Is there an OJ Howard coming out next year? It will be interesting to see how he does in Tampa.
Kearse is easily replaced by a # 4 or 5 WR a lot cheaper.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember you need to replace Graham. He's a veteran presence and huge target when RW scrambles. Sure you could hope to get a lesser talented TE to replace him but that goes against what Seattle tried to do by bringing JG in. Unfortunately, he hasn't played up to his potential (injury plays a lot of that). Is there an OJ Howard coming out next year? It will be interesting to see how he does in Tampa.
Kearse is easily replaced by a # 4 or 5 WR a lot cheaper.

I really would like to see what Nick Vannett has this season. If he can step up and preform to a high level, it'll lessen the burden a bit if JG walks and then go find that OJ Howard in next years draft if there is one. Agreed on Kearse, he's replaceable with a mid round draft pick next season.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody is gone after this year. Doesn't have to be Kam, but it's going to be somebody expensive.

Yep... Gotta happen... Everyone can't get paid on the same team... It will come at the expense of someone else... Or it could be home too... Do they sign Graham or Kam? Who knows... Depends if they trade Sherman and how the rookies do this year... If our rookie safeties look promising this year, Kam will be gone...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Mr Bennett take a pay cut then.

Right now the Hawks do not have the room to "pay" Kam which i feel is to bad because in my eyes he is more important to the team than Bennett is. Bennett is a great player but like i have stated before he is not our best DE that honor goes to Avril right now. The Hawks have been talking to Kam since April about getting him a new contract but right now their hands are very well tied. They just don't have the room to pay him 11-12 million a year which is now the Market value for him.

This is the type of things i do not like about Bennett, he knows the Hawks and Kam are all ready talking and he tells them to "Pay the man" knowing they do not have the cap space to do so right now. So be a real team player Mr Loudmouth Bennett and take a pay cut. Put up or shut up!

How can the Hawks get Kam signed people? i want to hear your opinions and options to get Kam his 11-12mill a year deal and fit it into the cap. Who do we cut? restructure? How can we get one of the major heartbeats of this defense locked up for another 2-3 years?

That would be saying something, If Bennett took a pay cut that would be a statement...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's usually better to cut a guy a year too early vs a year too late. NE is one of the teams that usually gets this right. Hopefully we can squeeze 1 more SB out of this core before it's time to part with guys like MB, Chancellor, and Sherm. ET is only 28 I believe, so of the LOB I think he has the best chance to be here for the post-LOB era, at least for a year or 2. There definitely will be a youth movement in the secondary very soon, and most of those guys probably got drafted this off-season.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
34 mil I believe and that doesn't include Graham or Kam. If they cut Kearse that adds another 5 mil for next year. Actually almost 7 mil if they cut Kearse this off season.
Yeah, the team can save $6.8M against the '18 cap for Kearse if they cut him "now" and gulp down all of the remaining bonus proration ($2.6M) for '17. Short of that, there will be $1.8M left on the books for next year, which means it's $5M savings to cut him after this season.

//////////

I think the overall message on our 2018 cap situation is that we will be in pretty good shape with seemingly 1/3 of this year's team either on 1 year deals or in the final year of their current contracts. They can decide which of the current contract year players they can re-sign, make those a priority, and still have room left to find replacements for the ones they don't bring back. Even with the abundance of expiring deals, you still have RW, Baldwin, Lockett, Avril, Bennett, Clark, Wagner, Wright, ET, and Sherm all locked up thru '18 or beyond, plus of course all the players they've drafted the last couple years (5 years of team control for 1st round picks, 4 for all others). Key decisions will be on Britt, Kam, Graham, and newcomers like Lacy & Joeckel.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just remember people, the team will be signing Wilson to a new contract Next offseason. Hard to understand how so many of you seem to forget that a 20-30 mill contract will be handed out in 2018 to Wilson. So where does the money come from? i keep seeing people say oh we will have about 30-35mill in cap space next year. Oh really? they going to make Wilson play out his final year with out an extension? lol not likely

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just remember people, the team will be signing Wilson to a new contract Next offseason. Hard to understand how so many of you seem to forget that a 20-30 mill contract will be handed out in 2018 to Wilson. So where does the money come from? i keep seeing people say oh we will have about 30-35mill in cap space next year. Oh really? they going to make Wilson play out his final year with out an extension? lol not likely

Wilson is signed thru the 2019 season, so it will just be a extension, but yeah not nearly enough cap space for next off season yet. Might be able to roll some cap space over to next year.