• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meltons agent talking up Cowboys

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Jerry reverting to his typical M.O., restructuring Ware, Romo and Carr and releasing Austin. I think he may then resign Spencer and either resign Hatcher or sign Melton. Draft Donald in the first round and I think he could go WR in the 2nd round to replace Austin. While I wouldn't advocate putting the team right back in salary cap lockdown, Jerry isn't getting any younger, and with Romo coming off back surgery, I think Jerry will consider this year his last best shot for a while and go all in again

Oh, so can I. When I say that I think they may have finally learned how they have continuously destroyed the future by structuring all these contracts to allow for more cap space in the current year, I am not saying that I feel confident in it. Jerry is clueless enough that I could see him restructuring everyone possible and resigning all of the aging DL, plus a couple of other guys and screwing us in every future cap year. BUT, I am seeing comments this year from them that I never have before. That is why I THINK we are finally going to see at least a small change. Who knows, maybe it's all a ruse directed at D. Ware to try to put pressure on him into taking a pay cut so we don't have to make the tough decision and at the same time free up space to over pay someone else with.

If we really like Donald and are thinking of drafting him, I'm not sure Melton would be the best FA signing because they both would play the 3 in this defense. Now if we somehow ended up with both of them, we will get them on the field for sure because any coach worth his salt will find a way to play his best players. Certainly they could man both DT spots in the nickel and Donald seems quick and agile enough to get some early down snaps at DE if he had to even though it obviously isn't the best fit for him. Also, rotating DL is never a bad thing and neither is depth, but I think if you see us sign Melton it may put an end to the Donald discussion.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, so can I. When I say that I think they may have finally learned how they have continuously destroyed the future by structuring all these contracts to allow for more cap space in the current year, I am not saying that I feel confident in it. Jerry is clueless enough that I could see him restructuring everyone possible and resigning all of the aging DL, plus a couple of other guys and screwing us in every future cap year. BUT, I am seeing comments this year from them that I never have before. That is why I THINK we are finally going to see at least a small change. Who knows, maybe it's all a ruse directed at D. Ware to try to put pressure on him into taking a pay cut so we don't have to make the tough decision and at the same time free up space to over pay someone else with.

If we really like Donald and are thinking of drafting him, I'm not sure Melton would be the best FA signing because they both would play the 3 in this defense. Now if we somehow ended up with both of them, we will get them on the field for sure because any coach worth his salt will find a way to play his best players. Certainly they could man both DT spots in the nickel and Donald seems quick and agile enough to get some early down snaps at DE if he had to even though it obviously isn't the best fit for him. Also, rotating DL is never a bad thing and neither is depth, but I think if you see us sign Melton it may put an end to the Donald discussion.

Man, I'm totally with you. I think if Jerry thinks about where we will be in three years, instead of only next year, he'll make the right decisions. Three years from now, all those DL will be mid 30's. Donald or Jernigan could be an early 20's Pro Bowler. I believe if we keep making the roster younger, it might cure a lot of the injury problems we seem to have every year. I remember when the 90's Cowboys had a team full of younger guys winning titles. It seemed like we were always pretty ''lucky'' when it came to injuries

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't gamble on another injury prone player. I say we take Donald or Jernigan in the 1st.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't gamble on another injury prone player. I say we take Donald or Jernigan in the 1st.

Is it just me, or have you had us taking about 20 different players and 10 different positions already?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, or have you had us taking about 20 different players and 10 different positions already?

He wants to be able to say he "Called It" come Draft day. At this point I don't think Nate can miss.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the more I read the stronger I feel about not wanting a safety at #16. if the right Safety is there I feel better going safety in the 2nd. One other question about Donald who seems to be the most popular pick for the boys. Do you guys think he is or will be strong enough to get off of the NFL lineman? I mean speed wont matter if you are being manhandled. if the answer is yes. Then that is who I would lean towards if we stay at 16. (I stilll want to move back & pick up some more picks in the top 3 rounds)

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the more I read the stronger I feel about not wanting a safety at #16. if the right Safety is there I feel better going safety in the 2nd. One other question about Donald who seems to be the most popular pick for the boys. Do you guys think he is or will be strong enough to get off of the NFL lineman? I mean speed wont matter if you are being manhandled. if the answer is yes. Then that is who I would lean towards if we stay at 16. (I stilll want to move back & pick up some more picks in the top 3 rounds)

Funny. I'm on record I want DL in the first and S in the 2nd. The more I read I think we may be better off S 1st.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny. I'm on record I want DL in the first and S in the 2nd. The more I read I think we may be better off S 1st.

I agree.....not many first year starters at safety after round 2. All kinds of DT talent throughout the draft.
take the safety 1st if Dix or Pryor are there at 16

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont have a ton of confidence in the 1st round. I can see how someone would pick a whole bunch of players & keep changing their mind on this forum.
The only player in the 1st (not counting OL who I have read zero on) that seems like as sure of a thing as the draft offers is the WR Watkins.

Of the 2 safeties everyone talks about I like Pryor better, but then I read conflicting reports on the 2, so it gets me confused & I am sure makes me over think them. There is a Safety in the 2nd rd. that sounded more taylor made for us & when I say us I mean what kind of safety "I" want LOL. I dont care about heavy hitters. I want a safety that has range on the field & solid tackler.

Funny thing is some player with a top 10 ranking will fall to us (for whatever reason) & we will probably go in a direction none of us are even thinking about or considering.
Like I said this 1st round willl be kinda scary. I can envision a lot of teams being disappointed in their 1st round pick this year, 5 years down the road.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, how do you know when you make your first round pick if "the right Safety is there" "in the 2nd"?

If Dix is there I grab him and don't look back unless someone very unexpected falls to us. But, I wouldn't be unhappy with at least 6 or 7 guys right now that I think might be there at pick #16, so I think I am going to be happy with the pick (crossing fingers)...

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, how do you know when you make your first round pick if "the right Safety is there" "in the 2nd"?

If Dix is there I grab him and don't look back unless someone very unexpected falls to us. But, I wouldn't be unhappy with at least 6 or 7 guys right now that I think might be there at pick #16, so I think I am going to be happy with the pick (crossing fingers)...
I dont. I dont pretend to be smart about the draft either. Would love to get a 1st rd pick that works out for now say Donald & get the safety oin the 2nd round.
If donald & the 2 safeties are their, I'd like a DT, but I also wont complain if we got one of the two safeties.
Just things I would like to see, not what I expect to see.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really have only mentioned a few guys for the 1st round. I have been on the donald bandwagon for a couple of months. Plan B would be Jernigan at 16. There should be no excuses for Jerrah not to find upgrades on DL from this draft. I do not see a safety in this draft that wows me. This is a weak year for safety.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 16 I'm on record for saying I want Clinton-Dix

If he is gone .... I WANT us to move down a few spots if possible

Lot of D-line talent

and extra 2nd or a high 3rd in this draft would go along ways in righting this ship

Actually to stick with what I have said before .... I would also be for trading future picks ( not a 1st rounder)
To get an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd this year

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets... I dont know the Cowboys cap number but last I heard it was 27 million OVER. You are saying cutting 3 lower tier players and some renegotiating they could be 23 million under. Thats a 50 million dollar swing which just doesn't seem possible.

Next, if I was Dallas I wouldn't sign anyone nor would I restructure. Restructuring just pushes the problem down the road. Dallas could be exactly 10 months away from having a star LT, a star WR and a very good RB all becoming UFA. Now don't take this the wrong way cause Philly has several issues (DE, OLB, NT, S, CB etc) but we do manage the cap well. We are resigning people all ready. Jason Kelce is a top C in the league and we all ready re-did his contract 3 years into a 5 year deal (which is the earliest you can redo a rookie contract). Thats how teams beat cap issues.

I'm really interested in seeing how this unfolds for Dallas. If they can get under the cap significantly as you said priority #1 is redoing T. Smith contract, then redoing D Bryants contract, then redoing D Murrays contract.

Sorry for the late reply, but First as of now we are about 17MM over, so actually about 40MM swing if they wanted which could happen, but won't if they are smart.

Second, only Dez and Murray are FA's after next year. Dallas will pick up a 5th year option on TSmith which will pay him an average of the top 10 players salary from his draft that season, which you would have to imagine most teams will pick up the same option.

Third you don't pay RB's unless they are AP, you draft them. Besides Murray won't get a monster contract, think more like 5-6MM a year average over 5 years.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets. I'm not talking about what is Mathematically possible. I'm assuming that we won't do something stupid like restructure every last dollar and then go ahead and spend all of the space on FAs and ignore the impact it will have going forward on our cap and on on our ability to sign our young guys that will command huge contracts in the next couple of years like we have the last decade. I heard enough comments this year from the Jones duo to think that will FINALLY change at least a little. That means we won't be doing what you suggest IMO, but yes we probably could do it Mathematically. If we cut Ware we will sign/retain a big DL FA or two, but I also don't see us doing that. Lastly, I am still guessing that Melton gets more money than Hatcher. I know the injury is working against him, but my thinking is the age difference more than offsets the injury question.

If Spencer were healthy, the best combo for us due to age and salary would probably be Spencer and Melton. Then we use the first pick on a guy like Ealy. But, I don't think that's how we end up. I do however think the odds of resigning Spencer are higher now than they have been in a long time.

I'd think we'd restructure Witten, Romo, Scandrick, and Lee which will give us about 7-8MM in space, then Ware and Miles take paycuts which will give us the rookie money and add a couple of vets after June 1 cuts. Just my opinion. I think Spencer and Melton are very possible with 7MM in cap space.

I think you have to go with your CB's another year. So that means you can add Safety help for B.Church although I really like JJ and possibly Matt Johnson if he can stay healthy. I'd go with JJ as starter he was playing well before getting hurt and to only think that was only his third year ever playing Safety.

So what do you do? You play more man press, and you improve the blitz which is DL. Does anyone ever stop and say damn every one of the Seahawk's corners can cover, this is not true, they just don't have to cover for long which anyone can do in the NFL if only covering for 2-3 seconds.

A line of Spencer, Donald, Melton, Ware with Crawford, Bass, Selvie as backups would keep the line fresh and our sacks would come a plenty, that is what made Seattle great their DL depth, they are so deep on the DL. This is what I want our team to spend the money on Melton and get Spencer low cost.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 16 I'm on record for saying I want Clinton-Dix

If he is gone .... I WANT us to move down a few spots if possible

Lot of D-line talent

and extra 2nd or a high 3rd in this draft would go along ways in righting this ship

Actually to stick with what I have said before .... I would also be for trading future picks ( not a 1st rounder)
To get an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd this year

Draft is really deep this year. While it is deep, I wouldn't spend a first on safety. I will go on record and say that I like Ha Ha the player though, just don't think it would matter if we don't fix the DL. I'd go Donald at 16, or if Evans slipped I grab him to go with Dez, only way I'd take O in first, and to be honest if neither were there at 16 I'd trade down and pick up another 2nd or 3rd. Draft is soooooooooooo deep. Could get 3 starters for next year.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft is really deep this year. While it is deep, I wouldn't spend a first on safety. I will go on record and say that I like Ha Ha the player though, just don't think it would matter if we don't fix the DL. I'd go Donald at 16, or if Evans slipped I grab him to go with Dez, only way I'd take O in first, and to be honest if neither were there at 16 I'd trade down and pick up another 2nd or 3rd. Draft is soooooooooooo deep. Could get 3 starters for next year.

Would u take CJ Mosley @ 16, if Donald is gone?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the late reply, but First as of now we are about 17MM over, so actually about 40MM swing if they wanted which could happen, but won't if they are smart.

Second, only Dez and Murray are FA's after next year. Dallas will pick up a 5th year option on TSmith which will pay him an average of the top 10 players salary from his draft that season, which you would have to imagine most teams will pick up the same option.

Third you don't pay RB's unless they are AP, you draft them. Besides Murray won't get a monster contract, think more like 5-6MM a year average over 5 years.

I agree with you on Smith. Everyone keeps saying he is going to be a FA, but he won't be. The good is that we'll have him locked up for much less than the franchise tag for an additional year. The bad is we won't be able to play games with that years salary to keep it low and push the hit out...or maybe that's a good thing too.

I generally agree with you on Murray, but look at the dollars you are talking about. That's not much above what we pay Orton and Murray's value has been proven to be Huge on this team when we use him (i also love Dunbar as a compliment). We are more likely to find another Choice/Jones than we are Murray in the draft. I am not letting this kid go anywhere and the main reason is because as you state most FA RBs lately haven't really received a lot of money and his injury history probably keeps him even a drop lower.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think we'd restructure Witten, Romo, Scandrick, and Lee which will give us about 7-8MM in space, then Ware and Miles take paycuts which will give us the rookie money and add a couple of vets after June 1 cuts. Just my opinion.

I think Miles is gone and the only question is before or after June 1st. We were worse with him on the field than without him. All he did last year was keep a better player off the field. So even if he played for free he isn't likely to help us.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would u take CJ Mosley @ 16, if Donald is gone?

To be honest, no although I like the player. I think we will be a lot better at LB this year. I think Holloman will do a great job and that Wilber will be good as well. Carter played better at the second half of the season and I expect a jump in his play this season. So to be no honest no I would not draft the guy although I believe he will be a solid nfl player.