• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meltons agent talking up Cowboys

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Henry Melton's agent Jordan Woy was talking about his client being interested in the Cowboys. Talked about him being from Dallas and his success under coach Marinelli, and how his return from injury in on a similar path to another of his clients, Anthony Spencer. If you could choose between the duo of Henry Melton and Anthony Spencer or Jason Hatcher and DeMarcus Ware to play for the Cowboys next year, which would it be? I think if the Cowboys release Ware, the first option is possible. I'd take Melton and Spencer

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can talk about the Cowboys, but the only way Melton is even a possibility is if Ware is released. We can't afford any two of Ware, Melton and Hatcher. So option two in your question is out.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think its that far fetched that we could have both Ware and Melton next year. It depends on what kind of cap restructure move we pull with DWare and also the final cap lid number 132-135 mil. I could see them being able to sign Melton cheaper than Hatcher, and it bodes well that (reportedly) his agent has reached out to us.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can talk about the Cowboys, but the only way Melton is even a possibility is if Ware is released. We can't afford any two of Ware, Melton and Hatcher. So option two in your question is out.

Jar, as talented as Melton is, you have to remember he had legal and physical issues last year. He will not get a big payday IMO, neither will Spencer. Hatch won't even get the payday he thinks he is going to get. Honestly I can see Ware staying, with Spencer and Melton added on. Recall that Avril signed a 2 year 13MM deal and was honestly better than Spencer and Melton on the DL. Added into the fact Spencer is now coming off of not playing a full year as well as Melton too, you could honestly probably get both in Dallas on 5-6MM year averages. If that happens look for the DL to go from being the weakest link to probably the strongest on D. A healthy Ware, Spencer, Crawford, Melton, Bass, Selvie, and add in the possibility of Donald wow talk about pass rush and depth.

Per my projections, the Boys could have as much as 11MM without even touching Austin or Ware, and only cutting Costa, Durant, and Parnell. It's the restructure game, if Orton retires that's another 1MM in cap space. I think Ware honestly takes about a 5MM pay cut and that Austin also takes a pay cut. I don't think either want to leave Dallas. Miles is about to get married and Ware has his family here. I think at the end of the day, you could see this team with about 15MM or so in cap space if they really want to, and to be honest if the team really wanted to they could create as much as 23-25MM in space after we subtract the 19MM projected that we are currently over.

All this is, is which way does the team want to handle things? Do they go into win now, or do they think they have the pieces in place to win and scale back on cuts and restructures. I can't wait until next month lol.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets... I dont know the Cowboys cap number but last I heard it was 27 million OVER. You are saying cutting 3 lower tier players and some renegotiating they could be 23 million under. Thats a 50 million dollar swing which just doesn't seem possible.

Next, if I was Dallas I wouldn't sign anyone nor would I restructure. Restructuring just pushes the problem down the road. Dallas could be exactly 10 months away from having a star LT, a star WR and a very good RB all becoming UFA. Now don't take this the wrong way cause Philly has several issues (DE, OLB, NT, S, CB etc) but we do manage the cap well. We are resigning people all ready. Jason Kelce is a top C in the league and we all ready re-did his contract 3 years into a 5 year deal (which is the earliest you can redo a rookie contract). Thats how teams beat cap issues.

I'm really interested in seeing how this unfolds for Dallas. If they can get under the cap significantly as you said priority #1 is redoing T. Smith contract, then redoing D Bryants contract, then redoing D Murrays contract.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Next, if I was Dallas I wouldn't sign anyone nor would I restructure. Restructuring just pushes the problem down the road"

That's nice and all but anyone that follows pro football knows that is not going to happen. Not with the contract romo signed last season. Jerry is all in from here on out...least the next 2 if not 3.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Next, if I was Dallas I wouldn't sign anyone nor would I restructure. Restructuring just pushes the problem down the road"

That's nice and all but anyone that follows pro football knows that is not going to happen. Not with the contract romo signed last season. Jerry is all in from here on out...least the next 2 if not 3.

I am hoping for a different direction, but you just may be spot on with your post.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like it one bit either. I just don't know how we can really put a super bowl team together going in this direction.

think about all you've come to know as a cowboy fan the last 25 years as it relates to the ego of Jerry Jones. Factor in his age and tell me jerry will ever be in rebuilding mode.

worst of all for me.....I'm pretty darn sure Stephen will not be better

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you somewhat agree on rebuilding the team but know the reality of the Jones' outlook on things. That's what is so frustrating to me being a spoiled assed Cowboy fan growing up in the 70's. Landry consistently and constantly built through the draft. We hardly picked up free agents back then and Landry would never entertain the thought of building through trade or free agency. A prime example of what we used to do is what Seattle has done building their team.

Last edited by a moderator:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you somewhat agree on rebuilding the team but know the reality of the Jones' outlook on things. That's what is so frustrating to me being a spoiled assed Cowboy fan growing up in the 70's. Landry consistently and constantly built through the draft. We hardly picked up free agents back then and Landry would never entertain the thought of building through trade or free agency. A prime example of what we used to do is what Seattle has done building their team.

It's night and day different from the 70's. They had what? 16 rounds then down to 12. Dallas would bring in another 50 free agents. Think Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris, Cornall Green. These were home run free agents. The real difference then was Dallas had an eye for talent, vision, and could flat out coach football across the board.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's night and day different from the 70's. They had what? 16 rounds then down to 12. Dallas would bring in another 50 free agents. Think Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris, Cornall Green. These were home run free agents. The real difference then was Dallas had an eye for talent, vision, and could flat out coach football across the board.

You got that right. totally agree. Don't forget about Preston Pearson. He was my favorite free agent. He sure kept us in everything till we got the final piece in Dorsett.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think most fans of the NFL in the 70's would realize the Free Agency system we have today DID NOT exist back then. There is absolutely no way to know how Landry, Knoll, Lombardi or any other coach in that era would have built teams today. You cannot compare this with the rule changes that have taken place.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think most fans of the NFL in the 70's would realize the Free Agency system we have today DID NOT exist back then. There is absolutely no way to know how Landry, Knoll, Lombardi or any other coach in that era would have built teams today. You cannot compare this with the rule changes that have taken place.
That was one of the reasons a few weeks ago that when I posted that our team hasn't had the advantages we had since the strike season of 1983 when free agency was born.

Last edited by a moderator:

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe our 20 year run of 20 straight years without a losing record is safe in the history books. Can't see how it will ever be duplicated in today's NFL environment.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets. I'm not talking about what is Mathematically possible. I'm assuming that we won't do something stupid like restructure every last dollar and then go ahead and spend all of the space on FAs and ignore the impact it will have going forward on our cap and on on our ability to sign our young guys that will command huge contracts in the next couple of years like we have the last decade. I heard enough comments this year from the Jones duo to think that will FINALLY change at least a little. That means we won't be doing what you suggest IMO, but yes we probably could do it Mathematically. If we cut Ware we will sign/retain a big DL FA or two, but I also don't see us doing that. Lastly, I am still guessing that Melton gets more money than Hatcher. I know the injury is working against him, but my thinking is the age difference more than offsets the injury question.

If Spencer were healthy, the best combo for us due to age and salary would probably be Spencer and Melton. Then we use the first pick on a guy like Ealy. But, I don't think that's how we end up. I do however think the odds of resigning Spencer are higher now than they have been in a long time.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Jerry reverting to his typical M.O., restructuring Ware, Romo and Carr and releasing Austin. I think he may then resign Spencer and either resign Hatcher or sign Melton. Draft Donald in the first round and I think he could go WR in the 2nd round to replace Austin. While I wouldn't advocate putting the team right back in salary cap lockdown, Jerry isn't getting any younger, and with Romo coming off back surgery, I think Jerry will consider this year his last best shot for a while and go all in again

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Jerry reverting to his typical M.O., restructuring Ware, Romo and Carr and releasing Austin. I think he may then resign Spencer and either resign Hatcher or sign Melton. Draft Donald in the first round and I think he could go WR in the 2nd round to replace Austin. While I wouldn't advocate putting the team right back in salary cap lockdown, Jerry isn't getting any younger, and with Romo coming off back surgery, I think Jerry will consider this year his last best shot for a while and go all in again

The restructuring of Romo HAS to happen. Ware will either restructure or be a possible cap casualty. IMO he still a top DE when healthy but health has become an issue. No he's not washed up but his best is behind him. Carr is the big question mark. He didn't play up to his contract and I doubt he's the team player willing to help out contract wise. With better DL play Carr will improve but I don't think he'll improve enough to warrant his salary.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Been hearing that for the past 5 years now. I'm not buying in to that anymore.