• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MBBRL keeper league?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever you guys decide, just let me know when and where.

And what's up with MBBRL? Some decisions and plans need to be made fairly soon, I think; we waited until the last minute last year and things didn't work out so well.

Even though we turned people down last season, we did use owners from previous MBBRL seasons who are not active posters... Our Baseball ownership has gone down every year now... Hopefully we can find the 12 we need...

If we cant would anyone be opposed to doing an NL only or AL only instead...

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to offer it up to the members of the other MBBRL leagues first, than anyone else that wants a spot.

Right now
1 OBX
2 Smitty
3 Chef
4 Milk
5 TKO
6 Molsan
7 BKS (if ROTO)
8 TLance (if ROTO)
14 Da55Bums

@Driaz you interested

Anybody else interested

Yeah, count me in. I'm also in for MBBRL if you have room this year. I opted out last year due to time constraints and regretted it. Is this going to be dynasty or keeper? If dynasty I tend to agree with the desire for a roto league. I am ok with the MBBRL head to head rules because that is the way it was setup and it's tradition. If we do end up with head to head in a serious dynasty or keeper league I would like to see weekly lineup locks removed in favor of daily moves for this league. If we are to be charged with managing our teams every glimmer of present and future success, an injury on Monday shouldn't have to wait until Sunday to be addressed. ;)

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now
1 OBX
2 Smitty
3 Chef
4 Milk
5 TKO
6 Molsan
7 BKS (if ROTO)
8 TLance (if ROTO)
9 Driaz
12 Da55Bums

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of chatter about this in the D & F thread. So I figured I would rehash it.

We would need two more people first off.

1 ROTO seems to be the main choice, but what 10-12 cats? Go with the 10 we use in MBBRL. Or change some like TB instead of HR.

2 will it be a keeper or dynasty, how deep would we go, when would a player become eligible?

3 What site to use?

4 How big a roster?

5 Limits?

6 trading draft picks?

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me:

1 I like TB over HR because their isn't much there for Doubles and Triples. Saves vs saves/holds I don't have an opinion. And finally Wins, I would like to replace it but what with.

2 Dynasty. Bench being the same amount as starters. I would say once a player reaches AAA he should be eligible.

3 Fantrax if TLance can get in

4 Same as MBBRL for starters.

5 162 games per offensive slot and some kind of IP #

6 yes after the first year.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would have to decide all of this in the next two weeks in order to do a slow draft. I do not want to do a sit down draft if we are doing dynasty, as someone will not be able to make it.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. QS, K, ERA, WHIP, SV (also no opinion on saves vs s+holds), TB, R, RBI, SB, OBP (unless obp and TB overlap? ...I like AVG too though)

2. Keeper, keep 10, five year limits, draft a stud in the 18th keep him in the 15th, 12th, 9th, 6th... etc. (also, very open to anything)

3. Fantrax... cross our fingers for T!

4. Same

5. Yup, sounds reasonable.

6. I don't trade much :) ;)

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I think it would be tough to get this put together in time, especially if we decide dynasty. I'm curious what the experience level is here? This would be my first keeper/dynasty team and I'd feel extremely ill prepared to start a dynasty slow draft in 3-4 days. I wouldn't feel nearly as behind the barrel if we did get the last 2 members to pull this off as just a keeper league in year one say 5-10 and then grow it into a full dynasty in a couple seasons. We could even transition during the offseason. Declare our 5-10 keepers, have a major league draft in November/December and a minor league draft in January/February.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I think it would be tough to get this put together in time, especially if we decide dynasty. I'm curious what the experience level is here? This would be my first keeper/dynasty team and I'd feel extremely ill prepared to start a dynasty slow draft in 3-4 days. I wouldn't feel nearly as behind the barrel if we did get the last 2 members to pull this off as just a keeper league in year one say 5-10 and then grow it into a full dynasty in a couple seasons. We could even transition during the offseason. Declare our 5-10 keepers, have a major league draft in November/December and a minor league draft in January/February.

I am open to all ideas.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point and good idea by @Driaz . Some of us are good to go with preparation but some might need to do some more planning. Something to think about.

As far as cats go - I like holds and saves as a separate category. But whatever is decided I'll take a shot at.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And @TKOSpikes HATES to trade, I can confirm that.

Almost as much as I do.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im with chef not much on trading either but if offer blows me away be glad to:suds:

As for experience ive never done a dynasty league but only way to learn is try it:suds:

Can we do 10 but make the rosters bigger?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like I am okay to use Fantrax.

regardless of what we decide for a keeper format, it would probably be wise to start off simple in year 1. Since there is not much time, scoring should either be standard 5x5 or the same as MBBRL. There really is not time to debate that now.

Are we thinking full dynasty, or a league where we keep 10? If this is not a full dynasty league, we would definitely need some type of keeper restrictions. Either limits on how long we can keep guys, contracts, or keep the player in whatever round you drafted them.

I hate leagues where you just keep your best 5-10 for as long as you want. Gives too big an advantage to the Trout/Harper sweepstakes winners. Dynasty is different because the roster depth required levels the field a little.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great points tlance! I vote to start simple with same categories as MBBRL for our first year. (Although please say we are going to daily lineups instead of weekly) That makes the only key things we have to get ironed out in such a short time is number of keepers for year one and keeper restrictions. I agree that unrestricted keepers would seem boring.

Can someone more experienced with keeper leagues briefly outline the pros and cons of the various keeper restriction formats? Maybe within the context of keeping it simple out of the gate we start with just the easiest implementation of say 3 years? I think I prefer the idea of contracts which would probably be a better start if we ultimately are looking to transition to dynasty, but some of those formats look to be a little difficult to pick up right away. I think milk has one that he asked about that seems somewhat confusing at first glance. I'm sure once you play it a couple years it's fine, but with the varying degree of keeper experience going into our first season, we don't want to make it too complicated and scare anyone off. (Although with the core group we have here I don't think that would be too big of a concern)

I'm thinking we should hold off on an elaborate contract system until we have a lengthier debate for the league going forward so that kind of leaves the Keep at the round drafted as possibly the best setting for year one. I like the concept of having the keepers be kept at a round higher each subsequent year, but since we are only focused on year one setup I think my vote would be just to keep at the round drafted and then look to setup some sort of contract system in the offseason when we have our winter meetings to discuss the future path forward.

For # of keepers, I think maybe between 5 and 7 for the first season could be a good start. Also, we need to decide if the number of keepers is firm meaning if you must keep the number of keepers we decide or can you keep less if you just don't like anyone on your team anymore. ;)

So lets get a couple choices on keeper restriction setting and number of keepers and get a poll started.

Also, we need to get two more owners on this...

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off I am leaving in the morning and wil be offline until Monday night. So anyone making polls for this I am good with.

Molsaniceman mentioned playing with ten. if we do a keeper, we could do 10 the first year with options for expansion to 12 or 14.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off I am leaving in the morning and wil be offline until Monday night. So anyone making polls for this I am good with.

Molsaniceman mentioned playing with ten. if we do a keeper, we could do 10 the first year with options for expansion to 12 or 14.

Wouldn't that put the expansion teams at a significant disadvantage if we all have keepers?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
Yes, but I believe we have enough smart people here to figure that one out.

If we start at 10 teams, I would suggest an additional restriction of:

Nobody drafted within the first 10 rounds is eligible to be kept.

I say that because it will guarantee that the top 100 players from this season are all re-entered into the draft pool. If we have limits for how long we can keep somebody, that would not be necessary for future years, but if we do plan to expand the league, a new expansion owner would be at a disadvantage, but would still have a chance to compete in year 1.

Also, For your peace of mind @Driaz the only reason we did weekly lineups in MBBRL was because it was head to head. Weekly lineups are much less appealing for a roto format, IMO.