• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marshawn Lynch fined $50k for not talking to the media

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's part of how job. In his contract. Talking to the media makes the NFL more money which helps pay Marshawn's substantial salary.

I see no problem with it. Doubt Marshawn does either. Although if he does disagree, I really hope he goes to the media to complain.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never talks to the media and I don't remember him being fined for it during the regular season, but the NFL tends to be anal about players talking to the media come playoff team. It's part of his job and the league has a right to fine him, but I doubt the fines he accrues are going to make him talk if he really doesn't want to.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never talks to the media and I don't remember him being fined for it during the regular season,

He got fined for not talking to the media enough during the entire regular season. It's not something they'd have fined him for in week 1 and again in week 2. I don't think they have a weekly quota to fill, just some un-reported (maybe even undefined) season quota.

I don't remember anyone getting fined for something like this, ever. But I'm positive it's in his contract (or the players agreement).

After hearing him talk on the few occasions he has done so, he should just write that check and be done with it.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got fined for not talking to the media enough during the entire regular season. It's not something they'd have fined him for in week 1 and again in week 2. I don't think they have a weekly quota to fill, just some un-reported (maybe even undefined) season quota.

I don't remember anyone getting fined for something like this, ever. But I'm positive it's in his contract (or the players agreement).

After hearing him talk on the few occasions he has done so, he should just write that check and be done with it.

That sounds like it. He actually gave a rare interview earlier this week. I think it lasted a whopp'n two minutes but from him, that's a lot.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL needs to stop freak'n...................

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds like it. He actually gave a rare interview earlier this week. I think it lasted a whopp'n two minutes but from him, that's a lot.

Not even, it was like 1:37 LOL.

I'd say a better interview would be to give all the press baseball bats, brass knuckles, and chains and let them fight Marshawn with just his bare fists.. but that would probably last 10 seconds and Marshawn would be incarcerated.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it is ridiculous that they can fine players for something like that. If the guy doesn't want to talk to the media he should not have to. His job is to play football, not talk to reporters.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it is ridiculous that they can fine players for something like that. If the guy doesn't want to talk to the media he should not have to. His job is to play football, not talk to reporters.

If they didn't fine them for it then 90% of the players would blow off the media. Marshawn knew the consequences of not talking so I don't feel bad for him.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised if there's some sort of speech pathology with Lynch, which a guy can cover using a bunch of different strategies, but it's absolutely draining for them. He also seems extremely introverted. Those two together make public speaking terrifying enough....add lights, cameras, reporters, and millions of viewers to the equation, and it's kind of ridiculous.

Sports are a tremendous outlet for kids who face these obstacles, and obviously Marshawn found it....speaks volumes on the field, which is all real sports fans care about anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His job is clearly stated in his contract and the players union contract. One of those things is to play football, another is to talk to the media. Not a hard job for the salary he gets paid. He chose to not fulfill one of his responsibilities so he was fined. Makes perfect sense...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they didn't fine them for it then 90% of the players would blow off the media. Marshawn knew the consequences of not talking so I don't feel bad for him.

So what? IMO I don't think the players should be required to talk to the media. What is the point? Maybe it is because I don't care what the players have to say, but I don't believe they need to talk to the media at all. They can come up with stories without interviewing the players, plus all the responses the media gets from the players are canned responses anyway. Very few players are actually themselves with the media, they just give the boring appropriate responses that they have to give. I mean just compare how the players act on Michael Robinson's YouTube clips to how they act with the media, the difference is astounding.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media is the conduit between the players and the fans. It's part of his job. Players talking to the media is good for business. This is nothing new. Every player has it in their contract. 3 choices... talk to the media, pay the fines or find another line of work. Simple really.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His job is clearly stated in his contract and the players union contract. One of those things is to play football, another is to talk to the media. Not a hard job for the salary he gets paid. He chose to not fulfill one of his responsibilities so he was fined. Makes perfect sense...

I'd like to see you get body slammed 20+ times a game by 250-300lb NFL athletes every week. Yeah, really easy job.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players know they can be fined for not talking with the media so on that point Lynch had to expect it. On the other hand the amount seems pretty rich. I mean I've seen helmet to helmet hits garner half that amount. It kind of leads me to believe that Lynch had probably wore this act thin with the league and they are sending him a hefty message.

These fines as a tactic to "force" a player to talk to the media don't work anyhow. Lynch may actually speak with the media after this but there is nothing to stop him from just being very short with them. He can give yes or no answers or just say " i don't know" a lot. The NFL can't force him to give a "good" interview.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A helmet to helmet hit is one hit during one play during one game.

Lynch avoided the media every day for over 5 consecutive months.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A helmet to helmet hit is one hit during one play during one game.

Lynch avoided the media every day for over 5 consecutive months.

So? A helmet to helmet hit can give someone a concussion.

Lynch is not hurting anyone by dodging interviews.

All you need to know about him:
lynchsnzc2.jpg

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone said he is an introvert even on the sidelines he sit's by himself often (More to stay in the zone i bet).