• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Cuban: 'NFL is 10 years from implosion'

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the NFL will ever implode. But, I do think it has issues. A sport gets popular because it's familiar, changing the kickoff/extra point takes away that familiarity.

Regardless of changes I still think football will be popular, but I don't think people would be as passionate if the NFL continues to try and change the game.

More football is never going to push people away, making football less violent and punishing contact is one of the things that frustrates football fans and could some day make people less inclined to watch. But, the NFL is special because you get to watch it 3 days a week, and there's all that time to discuss and analyze. You can cut down prep time, but sports radio/television are perfectly suited because you can breakdown/discuss/analyze and that will never change

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
NFL has more parity than the NBA so I think it could survive a playoff expansion without it being a major turnoff to fans. Plus a one and done format always makes for compelling TV which is why March Madness is so hugely popular.

What hurts the NBA playoffs is the difference between the top seeded teams and the lower seeded teams is huge and made worse with a round of 7 format. Which means it takes a while before the bad teams are weeded out and the actual contenders are matched up with each other to actually make games worth watching.

The biggest threat to the NFL is the rule changes and if they go overboard with them the product on the field will suffer.

I mean the game is already littered with bad calls since the NFL has jammed in so many judgement call rules the games are taking longer and nobody likes games to be decided by calls on the field.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is fine. The worst problem they are going to deal with is when people stop going to games and start just staying home and watching them on their big screen.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played madden MUT last night on ps3 and the NFL network showed the Steelers- Cards Super Bowl. I cant get enough football year round

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuban should concentrate on the trainwreck that is the NBA.

The NFL has it's problems, but they are minor compared to the NBA which has been a downward spiral for many years.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA is actually getting more popular again. I wouldn't tell Mark Cuban to do anything about making his own business better because he is a fucking self made billionaire from his own hard work and brilliance in running a business. And he started from scratch.

The guy is 100% right. He just overexaggerates to get attention and even that works as is apparent with this thread and the comments on the ESPN article.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The guy is 100% right. He just overexaggerates to get attention and even that works as is apparent with this thread and the comments on the ESPN article.

He's 100% right? Based on the "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered" rationale? :doh:

I've never seen anyone so jealous that he's not an NFL owner. The NFL is the best-run sport on planet earth by a light year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is the best-run sport on planet earth by a light year.
The Super Bowl winner had how many people with PED suspensions? Last year had talk of deer antler spray. And then there is going to be a talent dearth as parents wont let their kids play a generation from now.

Football is an amazing sport and America cant get enough

-but-

the NFL isnt run all that well, imo.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Super Bowl winner had how many people with PED suspensions? Last year had talk of deer antler spray. And then there is going to be a talent dearth as parents wont let their kids play a generation from now.

-but-

There were PED suspensions because, unlike other sports, the NFL has actually been serious about testing for them.

And as long as there are kids athletic enough to play football they're going to play football. Where is this coming from? The concussion stuff? Little do you know that there are more concussions in soccer than in football. And there are more overall injuries. Some parents have been forbidding their kids from playing football for decades already. That hasn't stopped another generations of kids from playing.

There isn't another sport that can sniff the NFL in terms of how well it's run.

If any sport is dying it's baseball.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuban should concentrate on the trainwreck that is the NBA.

The NFL has it's problems, but they are minor compared to the NBA which has been a downward spiral for many years.

Exactly. The NBA has all sorts of issues.

-but-

Yes, but compared to the NBA and MLB it is well run. I don't know enough about the NHL or MLS to comment on those.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is fine. The worst problem they are going to deal with is when people stop going to games and start just staying home and watching them on their big screen.

No doubt, but if they continue to add more nights to the TV calendar, I think it will just cannibalize other NFL programming after awhile, much like SNF has to done to MNF.

Game day...that's one reason the NFL has been so progressive with the new venues (awarding a SB to basically any team with a new stadium) they want to enhance the game day experience.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-but-

I think you have a good point. Football is an addiction so the NFL has a ton of wiggle room with how they run their business and Goodell seems to be exploiting that.

How much outrage by fans has there been over proposed and actual rule changes. Not listening to your customers isn't exactly a solid business model and the way Goodell has been isn't exactly the correct business model either. I can't think of other sports where multiple players publically criticize the commionser monthly.

The only reason I think that Goodell can still act like the Czar of football is because they work so well with the NCAA as opposed to the NBA, MLB and the NHL which suck at working with the NCAA.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have a good point. Football is an addiction so the NFL has a ton of wiggle room with how they run their business and Goodell seems to be exploiting that.

How much outrage by fans has there been over proposed and actual rule changes. Not listening to your customers isn't exactly a solid business model and the way Goodell has been isn't exactly the correct business model either. I can't think of other sports where multiple players publically criticize the commionser monthly.

The only reason I think that Goodell can still act like the Czar of football is because they work so well with the NCAA as opposed to the NBA, MLB and the NHL which suck at working with the NCAA.

The NFL is a well oiled machine and as pro sports business models go they have the best one, but they are slipping imo just not showing up in the ratings...I think they're a generation away from a noticeable drop off, especially at the gate. Younger 20 somethings are not NFL fans in the same percentile as they were in my 20s era.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a well oil machine but as I said IMO there business model sucks with Goodell except two things and that is their work with the NCAA and the incredible addiction to the NFL right now. College football will never go away because there are more individual ties with schools but the NFL can slip in a generation if Goodell keeps running it like a Czar and get players to bitch enough that it sucks. He doesn't listen to their fans and he one uped the union last time but I think there is zero chance he doesn't eventually get bent over by the NFLPA, he is trying too much to push stuff that his players nor fans want and 18 games and a team in London are his wet dreams but most fans do not want that IMO. His employers are the owners but the fans are really what pays him and when he doesn't listen to them it isn't a solid model. In my opinion MLB was easily the best run sport except they refused to listen to their fans with it more ADD friendly.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cuban has a point. I doubt the NFL ever implodes but it can become less interesting. I think one of the best things the NFL has going for it is the limited schedule. 16 regular season games, Mostly ocurring on Sunday with teaser on Thursday and sometimes desert on Monday (some of the games have been awful). Fans get to salivate all week for Sunday and only get 16 of those throughout the season. The issue is if you start adding games and adding them through out the week it starts to become saturation. And after we get 18 games a season how long before we get 20? how long before those Saturday and Sunday games spill into Friday so we get games most of the week? You throw in potential European teams and the game starts to lose luster.

I don't like baseball and basketball because you can watch a game just about whenever you want. The seasons are too long and many of those games are meaningless when it comes to the postseason. As one guy put it about baseball, every team wins 50 games and loses 50 games it is the rest that matter.

We can sit here now and think "how can more football be bad thing?" That is because it has not reached over-saturation yet. But if you can see a game Thursday night through Monday night it will be less exciting and that is when the NFL will take a step back.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a well oil machine but as I said IMO there business model sucks with Goodell except two things and that is their work with the NCAA and the incredible addiction to the NFL right now. College football will never go away because there are more individual ties with schools but the NFL can slip in a generation if Goodell keeps running it like a Czar and get players to bitch enough that it sucks. He doesn't listen to their fans and he one uped the union last time but I think there is zero chance he doesn't eventually get bent over by the NFLPA, he is trying too much to push stuff that his players nor fans want and 18 games and a team in London are his wet dreams but most fans do not want that IMO. His employers are the owners but the fans are really what pays him and when he doesn't listen to them it isn't a solid model. In my opinion MLB was easily the best run sport except they refused to listen to their fans with it more ADD friendly.

Well, they're making too much money for it to suck, but it's definitely not perfect. CFB...I think the NFL could really give a flip about CFB, but it's a free farm system that is also very profitable and powerful so why rock the boat? They can wait 2 -3 years for talent, and leave Sat. alone.

London...I think mainly for TV interest as another revenue source to cultivate. The players only stand to benefit if the NFL takes off in the UK...as far as a team in London...that is a wet dream.

Agree...imo 18 games is a mistake...gate fans get one more game so I'm not sure that fans don't want it, but clearly players don't.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

How much outrage by fans has there been over proposed and actual rule changes.

There has been zero outrage. Look at the ratings. Nobody cares. And most of the rule changes stem from the NFL being sued for 3 quarters of a billion dollars anyway.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any sport is dying it's baseball.
Nascar and NHL are the 2 dying sports. Baseball and NBA will grow but stay in the middle. College sports and NFL are getting bigger.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nascar and NHL are the 2 dying sports. Baseball and NBA will grow but stay in the middle. College sports and NFL are getting bigger.

NHL/NASCAR...I think you're right they're getting smaller, but retracting sounds better than dying...lol...NHL, it's a regional sport. When money was flowing, they over expanded into non traditional hockey markets...they've survived in some, others like ATL they failed twice. Got caught up in the initial growth and started paying players too much and they couldn't sustain it.

NASCAR was pretty much the same.

IMO the NBA has a chance to overtake MLB in about 20 yrs. The NFL would have to work OT to botch this up, but they could if they start drowning us with games on TV. They made some nice cash selling off Thurs Night, and that might've been their objective all along.