• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners trade deadline thread 2023

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright I’d like to retract and say my opinion of this trade has gone down with no follow up moves. Very frustrating.
It's only going to get worse when we don't re-sign Teoscar and get jack shit for him.

Our approach makes absolutely no sense. We ship off our closer, yet don't sell off any of our other expiring assets? Let's be real, Teoscar won't be back next year. We take a sellers approach yet keep an outfielder who will be a free agent next year?

The only favor the front office did for us was getting rid of Wong.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like I’m in the minority here, but I really like the Sewald trade, although I’m pretty sad to see him go. Of course if that’s the only move we make that’ll be a big mistake imo. We need to do more and preferably buying type moves.
And that's about it

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only going to get worse when we don't re-sign Teoscar and get jack shit for him.

Our approach makes absolutely no sense. We ship off our closer, yet don't sell off any of our other expiring assets? Let's be real, Teoscar won't be back next year. We take a sellers approach yet keep an outfielder who will be a free agent next year?

The only favor the front office did for us was getting rid of Wong.
Yea I’m shocked Teo is still here, from the reporting I was seeing it looks like there was plenty of interest in him, so it’s crazy he’s still here.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you all are so good.

a couple of things weird me out, too, and i know i'm just reiterating what people already said. getting rid of sewald and not replacing him with anything substantive that can be of help this year means our org doesn't care about trying to win this year, and what the hell do those acquisitions do for us next year and beyond?

and second, it seems the main goal of the trade deadline shuffle was to drop what, $8 mill in salary next year? this team is a LOT more than $8 mill in offseason acquisitions away from being competitive for the west. something about the way this played out leads me to believe the tightass moron owners aren't going to give him much more than that to play with, either. so where the fuck are we?
I can answer your last question;

Baseball purgatory. This team is good enough to float at .500 to keep people's attention, but not good enough to realistically compete for a World Series, let alone a wildcard.

The shittiest part of our current situation is that we have four good, young, cheap starting pitchers but a lineup that is not sufficient to be a legitimate contender. Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if Kirby or Gilbert eventually get dealt because they won't want to pay them.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i also apologize to @Tapey for being an asshole. i can understand what you said if you thought it was part of some grand plan and i didn't need to be so childish with putting "like" in quotes twice in my first response to you.

part of me thinks maybe we're already in rebuild mode right now which makes it all a little more depressing. jerry loves to start with AAA prospects he think she sees something in that nobody else does and build around them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you all are so good.

a couple of things weird me out, too, and i know i'm just reiterating what people already said. getting rid of sewald and not replacing him with anything substantive that can be of help this year means our org doesn't care about trying to win this year, and what the hell do those acquisitions do for us next year and beyond?

and second, it seems the main goal of the trade deadline shuffle was to drop what, $8 mill in salary next year? this team is a LOT more than $8 mill in offseason acquisitions away from being competitive for the west. something about the way this played out leads me to believe the tightass moron owners aren't going to give him much more than that to play with, either. so where the fuck are we?
Also bro, we're so fucking cheap that we traded Trevor Gott and Chris Flexen to the Mets just so that they could eat the remaining amount on Flexen's contract. It's borderline laughable.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I’m shocked Teo is still here, from the reporting I was seeing it looks like there was plenty of interest in him, so it’s crazy he’s still here.
After trading Sewald, Dipoto decided that his AAAA additions will be enough to propel this team to the World Series. No need for an elite closer when we have controllable young players to save the day!

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i also apologize to @Tapey for being an asshole. i can understand what you said if you thought it was part of some grand plan and i didn't need to be so childish with putting "like" in quotes twice in my first response to you.

part of me thinks maybe we're already in rebuild mode right now which makes it all a little more depressing. jerry loves to start with AAA prospects he think she sees something in that nobody else does and build around them.
All good, even without the benefit of additional moves I can see both sides of the coin of liking/hating the trade.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We do think we are a better, deeper, more athletic roster than we were this time last week"

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm truly speechless cause this FO is a pile of shit and couldn't figure out a direction to go in. They had 2 or 3 days to get whatever done and move on yet they couldn't get that right.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren’t word to describe how this deadline feels. If they got rid of Sewald but got a bat to strengthen the lineup then ok. But Jerry got rid of Sewald basically for a prospect. Canzone and Rojas are Dylan Moore and Mike Ford to this point. It’s frustrating because they didn’t buy but they also did piss poor job of selling. After this deadline it is 100% official that the front office does not care about winning a World Series. You can’t be in perpetual trust the process.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren’t word to describe how this deadline feels. If they got rid of Sewald but got a bat to strengthen the lineup then ok. But Jerry got rid of Sewald basically for a prospect. Canzone and Rojas are Dylan Moore and Mike Ford to this point. It’s frustrating because they didn’t buy but they also did piss poor job of selling. After this deadline it is 100% official that the front office does not care about winning a World Series. You can’t be in perpetual trust the process.
welcome to the club. I became aware of this a while back and gave up on this team ever winning anything meaningful.

srf1957

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These trades made absolutely no sense . dropping Wong was Ok because he wasn't performing . There was no point in trading Seward to Arizona for 3 pieces of garbage .

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These trades made absolutely no sense . dropping Wong was Ok because he wasn't performing . There was no point in trading Seward to Arizona for 3 pieces of garbage .
Except he may make a million more than he replacement. That is the stat that really matters.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
welcome to the club. I became aware of this a while back and gave up on this team ever winning anything meaningful.
At least could do the whole peeing and saying it is raining. There is no spin that after this deadline that reaching the playoffs are even important. Let alone the World Series which Jerry is the one who said was this years goal. Maybe the PR team didn’t get memo when they started the win it all but that is on them, not on the pissed off fan.

srf1957

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Loser: Seattle Mariners

Look, trading closer Paul Sewald won’t crush this team’s chances. No reliever carries that much heft. Yet despite a team that could’ve reasonably gone either way or stood pat, GM Jerry Dipoto seemingly pulled the trigger on a seller’s move for a less enticing return than others netted for pitching at this trade deadline.

Paul Sewald headshot

Paul Sewald​

RP - ARI - #38

2023 SEASON
IP
SV
ERA
K
BB
Sewald, who is under team control for 2024, brought back three hitters — rookie outfielder Dominic Canzone, third baseman Josh Rojas and middle-infield prospect Ryan Bliss — from the Arizona Diamondbacks, but none of them charts as a likely difference-maker for a team lacking offensive punch and still craving moments in the sun of the playoffs. Even if the value calculation works out in the long term, it smacks of the same middling defeatism that nearly caused a team mutiny over a similar deal sending Kendall Graveman away in 2021.

There is enough eye-popping starting pitching talent in Seattle to make waves, but Dipoto keeps churning the rest of the roster without taking enough decisive action to put a full-fledged contender on the field. This feels like another example of that.

From Yahoo sports

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of Dipoto hate is crazy what trade did he lose out on I am curious? I don't know if people where expecting us to Ohtani in return for Sewald but I am actually surprised we got what we got for a 33 year old journey player with above average stats this season. We got back 2 starters and a prospect. We wouldn't be doing this if Mr. emotional Kelenic wasn't out here kicking things whenever something does go his way breaking his leg or continue with Wong at 2nd base we just landed other options moving forward.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right...
Understood .they really needed to trade hernandez ..and get maybe grichuck..

Cuz .X4 .strike outs is just..loseing .

Fida..champs..

Last edited: