• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners just acquired Mark Trumbo

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on all the way through.

After mentioning Trumbo in LF over Ackley, I then realized it would still be an upgrade of Trumbo over WeAks. We can still bring in Ackley for defense late (I never thought in a millions years I would say that...standards.have.dropped.)

Exactly my point. Ackley is, mediocre, maybe average defensively at a defensive position that is not that significant. Trumbo is a little worse.

But on the other hand Trumbo is a serious threat at the plate (minus his OBP), whereas Ackley is an automatic out.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So new lineup?
Jackson
Smith
Cano
Cruz
Seager
Trumbo
Lomo
Zunino
Miller

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So new lineup?
Jackson
Smith
Cano
Cruz
Seager
Trumbo
Lomo
Zunino
Miller

Does make a difference. So do we pinch hit Ackley for Trumbo late in games? :nono:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What this move really does, IMO, is guarantee that Jesus Montero isn't gettin another shot at the bigs, no matter how well he does in Tacoma. So, as long as the coach likes you - then you can hit .200 for 4 years and still start, but if you're not a fav - then batting .210 for 30 games gets you demoted for 3 years. Sad thing is, he has a higher career MLB batting average than 10 of the guys who've played for the M's this year (and all but Seagar of the Mariner developed guys).

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Justin Ruggiano is the odd man out. Does it make sense? No, of coarse not but this is the Mariners we are talking about. Just look at some of the facts (or at least what this FO will think are facts).

Fact, Ruggiano has the least amount of PA of all the OF on the team. That's right, less then Rickie Weeks. Obviously not a Lloyd guy

Fact, Ruggiano hits lefties well. Problem is so does Weeks (.741 OPS this year), and Trumbo. When will he ever see a LHP now that Trumbo is on the team.

Fact, Ruggiano has never played in the infield. Right there WFB has the leg up. Weeks and Ackley have also played there.

Fact, Ruggiano's OBP is too high. At this moment his OBP is .316 which ranks 5th on the team. The M's obviously think OBP is complete bullshit cause why else would you trade for Trumbo, and continually run Weeks, Ackley and Zunino out there (not that theres much of a choice of running Zunino out)

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to believe that Weeks is the odd man out...At the very least Ruggiano and Ackley can be defensive replacements. But, this is the M's...

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly my point. Ackley is, mediocre, maybe average defensively at a defensive position that is not that significant. Trumbo is a little worse.

But on the other hand Trumbo is a serious threat at the plate (minus his OBP), whereas Ackley is an automatic out.

I'll take the serious threat at the plate right now

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute, so JAck acquired a guy that hits home runs and strikes out a ton? That's odd....

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Justin Ruggiano is the odd man out. Does it make sense? No, of coarse not but this is the Mariners we are talking about. Just look at some of the facts (or at least what this FO will think are facts).

Fact, Ruggiano has the least amount of PA of all the OF on the team. That's right, less then Rickie Weeks. Obviously not a Lloyd guy

Fact, Ruggiano hits lefties well. Problem is so does Weeks (.741 OPS this year), and Trumbo. When will he ever see a LHP now that Trumbo is on the team.

Fact, Ruggiano has never played in the infield. Right there WFB has the leg up. Weeks and Ackley have also played there.

Fact, Ruggiano's OBP is too high. At this moment his OBP is .316 which ranks 5th on the team. The M's obviously think OBP is complete bullshit cause why else would you trade for Trumbo, and continually run Weeks, Ackley and Zunino out there (not that theres much of a choice of running Zunino out)

I think Morrison will be the odd man out when there is a lefty pitcher starting against us. LoMo's slash against lefties is .204/.259/.222/.481. Trumbo's OPS against lefties is over 1.000. I think our lineup against lefties will look like this:
Jackson
Ruggiano
Cano
Cruz
Seagar
Trumbo
Weeks
Zunino
Miller

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to believe that Weeks is the odd man out...At the very least Ruggiano and Ackley can be defensive replacements. But, this is the M's...
It's the difference between eating bread that's been moldy for a week, and bread that's been moldy for 8 days.

I'd keep Weeks over Ackley because there's at least some offensive value with hitting lefties, though even that is winnowing. Neither's defense would be a factor for me in making a decision.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nuno, Trumbo and Sucre in.
Montgomery, Castillo and Leone out.

Don't have to do anything for the time being. But at some point they will need to get rid of a bench player so they can add an extra arm in the bullpen. But, they don't have to do that right now. After an off day today and an 8 inning performance by Walker yesterday, the bullpen should be well rested by Friday.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Morrison will be the odd man out when there is a lefty pitcher starting against us. LoMo's slash against lefties is .204/.259/.222/.481. Trumbo's OPS against lefties is over 1.000. I think our lineup against lefties will look like this:
Jackson
Ruggiano
Cano
Cruz
Seagar
Trumbo
Weeks
Zunino
Miller
Yeah, I think that's a good reason to keep Weeks.

Against lefties, put Trumbo at first, and Weeks in the OF.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the difference between eating bread that's been moldy for a week, and bread that's been moldy for 8 days.

I'd keep Weeks over Ackley because there's at least some offensive value with hitting lefties, though even that is winnowing. Neither's defense would be a factor for me in making a decision.
I agree. From a purely performance standpoint, Weeks over Ackley is the way to go. Unfortunately, Jack probably thinks Ackley has market value, whereas Weeks has no market value. So I think they would keep the guy with the most market value.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What this move really does, IMO, is guarantee that Jesus Montero isn't gettin another shot at the bigs, no matter how well he does in Tacoma. So, as long as the coach likes you - then you can hit .200 for 4 years and still start, but if you're not a fav - then batting .210 for 30 games gets you demoted for 3 years. Sad thing is, he has a higher career MLB batting average than 10 of the guys who've played for the M's this year (and all but Seagar of the Mariner developed guys).

Man I'd really like to see Montero get another shot. Guy did pretty well in AAA last year for > 1/2 a season and is off to a really good start this year. I know we're going to trade him and he's going to KILL it at some other team.

He was one of the top prospects in baseball when we traded for him.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I'd really like to see Montero get another shot. Guy did pretty well in AAA last year for > 1/2 a season and is off to a really good start this year. I know we're going to trade him and he's going to KILL it at some other team.

He was one of the top prospects in baseball when we traded for him.
The situation with montero has reached a point where it can only be described as a vendetta. Jack is determined to fuck Montero's career. Cruz is playing the outfield almost every night now. There is no reason Montero can't be the DH...other than the fact that Jack wants to fuck him.

So the guy made some mistakes. Gets busted for roids in 2012 and came to camp over weight and with a shitty attitude in 2013. But that was over two years ago. How long is he supposed to pay for that?

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The situation with montero has reached a point where it can only be described as a vendetta. Jack is determined to fuck Montero's career. Cruz is playing the outfield almost every night now. There is no reason Montero can't be the DH...other than the fact that Jack wants to fuck him.

So the guy made some mistakes. Gets busted for roids in 2012 and came to camp over weight and with a shitty attitude in 2013. But that was over two years ago. How long is he supposed to pay for that?
The best thing for Montero would be for Jack Z to get fired.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the Montero comments. He is done in Seattle. I would be shocked if he was still with us past the trade deadline. I think they are showcasing him in Tacoma for they can deal him for a PTBNSA (player to be neve seen again).

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuno, Trumbo and Sucre in.
Montgomery, Castillo and Leone out.

Don't have to do anything for the time being. But at some point they will need to get rid of a bench player so they can add an extra arm in the bullpen. But, they don't have to do that right now. After an off day today and an 8 inning performance by Walker yesterday, the bullpen should be well rested by Friday.

no off day today...game tonight