• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LUUUKE

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have hired Luke Walton to be the next head coach. I really like this hire. Obviously, we don't know if he'll work out, but there's a lot to like, imo, beginning with the fact that he's not another retread.

I also like that the hire is out of the way and the Lakers can go into the draft and FA knowing who the coach will be.

Thoughts?

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i shared my thoughts on the main board. i would have liked more of a interview all the qualified candidates and select the best man. all the others seemed to be fall backs incase luke declined. big question mark on what kind of offensive scheme will he bring. did he have anything to do with golden st at all or was it all kerr. for all we know he might bring the triangle back. i think defensively messina would have been the better choice. but only time will tell. it will be interesting to see what assistants he brings in.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is positive news, and a step in the right direction

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i shared my thoughts on the main board. i would have liked more of a interview all the qualified candidates and select the best man. all the others seemed to be fall backs incase luke declined. big question mark on what kind of offensive scheme will he bring. did he have anything to do with golden st at all or was it all kerr. for all we know he might bring the triangle back. i think defensively messina would have been the better choice. but only time will tell. it will be interesting to see what assistants he brings in.
With us having D'angelo, I'd be more inclined to believed that he'd bring in something close to what GS does, as opposed to bringing in the triangle

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree with Kold. Don't see him bringing the triangle. For one, it's a post based offense and the Lakers don't really have the post players to pull it off. Even if they get someone like Whiteside or Horford in FA, it wouldn't be successful.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that he'll likely run a system more like GSW's with maybe some triangle principles in the half court portion.

The system GSW runs is Kerr's, but Luke has a big role in implementing it.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With us having D'angelo, I'd be more inclined to believed that he'd bring in something close to what GS does, as opposed to bringing in the triangle

yeah I'm not so sure what GS does isn't mostly effective because of spacing the floor with highly efficient 3 point shooters. klay thompson takes a lot of pressure off of curry. shoots something like 44 % who they bring in offseason will help just as much as walton does

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I'm not so sure what GS does isn't mostly effective because of spacing the floor with highly efficient 3 point shooters. klay thompson takes a lot of pressure off of curry. shoots something like 44 % who they bring in offseason will help just as much as walton does
I pretty much agree there. Spacing the floor is what GS does best in that offense. I don't know who we bring in, but for the time being, putting D'angelo in the pick and roll, as opposed to having him dribble the ball down the court, toss it away and stand in the corner, is atleast a good first step in the right direction

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly agree there. Spacing the floor is what GS does best in that offense. I don't know who we bring in, but for the time being, putting D'angelo in the pick and roll, as opposed to having him dribble the ball down the court, toss it away and stand in the corner, is atleast a good first step in the right direction

yep a little prediction mode i think they will miss out on a pretty small class of free agents. biggest chance they have is at demar derozan maybe a dice roll at hassan whiteside.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have hired Luke Walton to be the next head coach. I really like this hire. Obviously, we don't know if he'll work out, but there's a lot to like, imo, beginning with the fact that he's not another retread.

I also like that the hire is out of the way and the Lakers can go into the draft and FA knowing who the coach will be.

Thoughts?

we'll see how it works out, but it'll be an interesting ride...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next step (and a vital one that can get overlooked): Use that Lakers cash to hire quality, veteran assistants.

He's a young coach with a ton of promise but it'll be invaluable to have some old hands on deck for experience. He can take a cue from his mentor Steve Kerr, who brought in Alvin Gentry and Ron Adams his first year. I'd imagine assistant pay varies greatly from team to team so use that cash to lure in guys from other teams.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man that was fast. The GSW system maximizes small ball and spread the floor along with max 3-point shooters. Luke is going to have to develop three-point shooters and he'll be looking for a small-ball players as well. I wonder if Bass wants to come back?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else I liked about this hire is that it comes off as a confident, decisive move. Once the decision to fire Byron was made, they targeted who they wanted and then went and got him. Luke even had other interviews lined up, but according to reports, Mitch wasn't leaving until they had a deal.

When was the last time we saw that happen?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, maybe short Buss is seeing the handwriting-on-the-wall that in all likelihood, Phil is coming in 2017 along with Jeanie and the two will end his tenure about as fast as they signed Luke.:lol:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with Kold. Don't see him bringing the triangle. For one, it's a post based offense and the Lakers don't really have the post players to pull it off. Even if they get someone like Whiteside or Horford in FA, it wouldn't be successful.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that he'll likely run a system more like GSW's with maybe some triangle principles in the half court portion.

The system GSW runs is Kerr's, but Luke has a big role in implementing it.

I think they should go after Dwight. :dhd:

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, maybe short Buss is seeing the handwriting-on-the-wall that in all likelihood, Phil is coming in 2017 along with Jeanie and the two will end his tenure about as fast as they signed Luke.:lol:
Good one:lol:

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does the guy leave a team in the middle of a back to back championship run ?

Couldn't he have waited until the GSW season was over ?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does the guy leave a team in the middle of a back to back championship run ?

Couldn't he have waited until the GSW season was over ?

He's doesn't begin his coaching duties with the Lakers until GSW's playoff run ends, whenever that may be.

I think he went ahead and agreed to the deal this early because Mitch Kupchak wasn't going to let him out of the meeting room until he did. :lol: