• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Los Angeles Rams @ Arizona Cardinals, 10/02/16, 4:25 PM EST; Fox

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards aim to rebound at home vs. Rams

While it's true that four teams that started out with a losing record last season after three games managed to recover and advance to the postseason, Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians never expected to see his team with a 1-2 record entering Sunday's game against the visiting Los Angeles Rams.

Then again, a handful of teams viewed as Super Bowl contenders have hit their share of pot holes already in 2016. The Cardinals, who reached the NFC Championship last season, are just one of them.

"Yeah, it's been that way for a long time," Arians said. "You better show up every Sunday with your A game and a lot of passion and pride, or if the other team is, they're going to beat you. There's nobody that can't be beat and nobody that you can't beat. That's the way you have to look at every week."

Though the Rams are 2-1 and are in sole possession of first place in the NFC West, they've had their share of problems, too. Yes, they've won back-to-back games, but they didn't score their first touchdown until last week and they've had two players ejected from games the last two weeks.

Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer knows Arizona will have its hands full trying to put points up against the Rams' defense, which is anchored by disruptive defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

"There's always a little bit of a difference, but personnel-wise, it's as good as you'll find," Palmer said. "They're coached extremely well. The defensive coordinator is one of the best in the league. It's a great, great group."

Arizona has won six of the last nine meetings at home, but the Cardinals have looked incredibly shaky in their two losses, especially last Sunday's 33-18 fiasco at Buffalo. Rams coach Jeff Fisher said he's fully expecting a different Arians-led team to show up this weekend.

"Bruce is outstanding and he'll have them ready," Fisher said. "It's a veteran team and we expect to see them at their best. It's always a great matchup and he'll have them ready. You know, those things happen. It happened to us in Week 1. You move on. You put it behind you and you move on."

The Cardinals' explosive offense from a year ago, however, has been a dud so far. It ranks 14th in total yards, 16th in third-down conversion percentage and it has yet to score a point in the first quarter of play. Against the Bills, the Cardinals' first five series were all three-and-out clunkers.

"Hey, Buffalo made some plays," Fisher said. "They were in a must-win situation and they made some plays. Sometimes, that's how games go. Look around the league. No one would have expected Pittsburgh to go through the experience they went through (losing to the Eagles, 34-3). Three and outs are a part of the game.

"They are talented. I mean, hey, it took us to Week 3 to score a touchdown."

Arians, though, hasn't been happy since the regular season began. In addition to slow starts to begin games, his Cardinals haven't responded to halftime adjustments when coming out of the locker room to start the third quarter. There also continues to be far too many communication problems on offense, be it among the offensive line or with Palmer and his receivers.

That was rarely the case last season when Arizona set multiple franchise records on offense on its way to a 13-3 regular-season record.

"Every year is different. When you get everybody back, you expect to be as good or better," Arians said. "But, other things change. Again, our performance is not acceptable so far."

Rams running back Todd Gurley, meanwhile, is still trying to find his way three games into the season. He ranks 18th in rushing yards (183) and is only averaging 2.9 yards per carry.

"People say he's not off to a great start, but I think you could say that about our offense as a whole; it has nothing to do with Todd," Fisher said. "Todd's 16-yard run (against Tampa Bay) down inside the 1-yard line, I think, is one of the best runs I've ever seen here recently. So, it kind of shows you what he's capable of doing."

Rams fans are still waiting to see what No.1 overall draft pick, quarterback Jared Goff, is capable of doing. Especially when considering what rookie quarterbacks like Philadelphia's Carson Wentz and Dallas' Dak Prescott have managed to do thus far.

Fisher said it was never the plan to keep his rookie QB on the sideline for a full season, watching and waiting behind starter Case Keenum.

"No, the plan is to play him when he's ready," Fisher said. "I never came out and said ... I've not given a timetable. As I've mentioned numerous times over the past couple of weeks, had there not been injuries, we would not have had four rookie quarterbacks starting last weekend. They'd all be sitting. But injuries are part of the game, so it creates different opportunities and different situations for different teams and different players.

"But our plan with Jared is to bring him along. Case was our starter, he finished up strong last year and he comes back and right now he's won two games back-to-back and he's making plays for us. The experience for Jared has been tremendous. He's getting better every day. The whole experience in itself, just watching and preparing to play, knowing that you're a play away from playing, I think, is additional added experience for him."​

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards aim to rebound at home vs. Rams

While it's true that four teams that started out with a losing record last season after three games managed to recover and advance to the postseason, Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians never expected to see his team with a 1-2 record entering Sunday's game against the visiting Los Angeles Rams.

Then again, a handful of teams viewed as Super Bowl contenders have hit their share of pot holes already in 2016. The Cardinals, who reached the NFC Championship last season, are just one of them.

"Yeah, it's been that way for a long time," Arians said. "You better show up every Sunday with your A game and a lot of passion and pride, or if the other team is, they're going to beat you. There's nobody that can't be beat and nobody that you can't beat. That's the way you have to look at every week."

Though the Rams are 2-1 and are in sole possession of first place in the NFC West, they've had their share of problems, too. Yes, they've won back-to-back games, but they didn't score their first touchdown until last week and they've had two players ejected from games the last two weeks.

Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer knows Arizona will have its hands full trying to put points up against the Rams' defense, which is anchored by disruptive defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

"There's always a little bit of a difference, but personnel-wise, it's as good as you'll find," Palmer said. "They're coached extremely well. The defensive coordinator is one of the best in the league. It's a great, great group."

Arizona has won six of the last nine meetings at home, but the Cardinals have looked incredibly shaky in their two losses, especially last Sunday's 33-18 fiasco at Buffalo. Rams coach Jeff Fisher said he's fully expecting a different Arians-led team to show up this weekend.

"Bruce is outstanding and he'll have them ready," Fisher said. "It's a veteran team and we expect to see them at their best. It's always a great matchup and he'll have them ready. You know, those things happen. It happened to us in Week 1. You move on. You put it behind you and you move on."

The Cardinals' explosive offense from a year ago, however, has been a dud so far. It ranks 14th in total yards, 16th in third-down conversion percentage and it has yet to score a point in the first quarter of play. Against the Bills, the Cardinals' first five series were all three-and-out clunkers.

"Hey, Buffalo made some plays," Fisher said. "They were in a must-win situation and they made some plays. Sometimes, that's how games go. Look around the league. No one would have expected Pittsburgh to go through the experience they went through (losing to the Eagles, 34-3). Three and outs are a part of the game.

"They are talented. I mean, hey, it took us to Week 3 to score a touchdown."

Arians, though, hasn't been happy since the regular season began. In addition to slow starts to begin games, his Cardinals haven't responded to halftime adjustments when coming out of the locker room to start the third quarter. There also continues to be far too many communication problems on offense, be it among the offensive line or with Palmer and his receivers.

That was rarely the case last season when Arizona set multiple franchise records on offense on its way to a 13-3 regular-season record.

"Every year is different. When you get everybody back, you expect to be as good or better," Arians said. "But, other things change. Again, our performance is not acceptable so far."

Rams running back Todd Gurley, meanwhile, is still trying to find his way three games into the season. He ranks 18th in rushing yards (183) and is only averaging 2.9 yards per carry.

"People say he's not off to a great start, but I think you could say that about our offense as a whole; it has nothing to do with Todd," Fisher said. "Todd's 16-yard run (against Tampa Bay) down inside the 1-yard line, I think, is one of the best runs I've ever seen here recently. So, it kind of shows you what he's capable of doing."

Rams fans are still waiting to see what No.1 overall draft pick, quarterback Jared Goff, is capable of doing. Especially when considering what rookie quarterbacks like Philadelphia's Carson Wentz and Dallas' Dak Prescott have managed to do thus far.

Fisher said it was never the plan to keep his rookie QB on the sideline for a full season, watching and waiting behind starter Case Keenum.

"No, the plan is to play him when he's ready," Fisher said. "I never came out and said ... I've not given a timetable. As I've mentioned numerous times over the past couple of weeks, had there not been injuries, we would not have had four rookie quarterbacks starting last weekend. They'd all be sitting. But injuries are part of the game, so it creates different opportunities and different situations for different teams and different players.

"But our plan with Jared is to bring him along. Case was our starter, he finished up strong last year and he comes back and right now he's won two games back-to-back and he's making plays for us. The experience for Jared has been tremendous. He's getting better every day. The whole experience in itself, just watching and preparing to play, knowing that you're a play away from playing, I think, is additional added experience for him."​

And once again, Fisher is COMPLETELY full of crap...

From that article..."As I've mentioned numerous times over the past couple of weeks, had there not been injuries, we would not have had four rookie quarterbacks starting last weekend. They'd all be sitting." Jeff Fisher

They ALL be sitting??? ALL of them??? Who was injured for Wentz to be put in there as a starter????

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And once again, Fisher is COMPLETELY full of crap...

From that article..."As I've mentioned numerous times over the past couple of weeks, had there not been injuries, we would not have had four rookie quarterbacks starting last weekend. They'd all be sitting." Jeff Fisher

They ALL be sitting??? ALL of them??? Who was injured for Wentz to be put in there as a starter????
Um, Bridgewater. :nod:

Without that injury, they get nowhere near what they got from the Vikings to move their former starter.

BTW- Thanks for making me hit the fringes of what is acceptable outside of the Unsportsmanlike Conduct Thread.

Any further discussion about those trade specifics shall be directed to that thread.

Thank you!

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Without that injury, they get nowhere near what they got from the Vikings to move their former starter.

BTW- Thanks for making me hit the fringes of what is acceptable outside of the Unsportsmanlike Conduct Thread.

Any further discussion about those trade specifics shall be directed to that thread.

Thank you!

No, that's not what I was talking about AT ALL... I seem to remember they paid BIG bucks to sign Chase Daniel, did they not? So wouldn't you expect him to start? But no, they went with an unproven rookie instead. The CHOSE to start Wentz, but they most certainly didn't have to...

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you!

If teddy doesn't get hurt then they don't have to make a trade? They paid a fair price for the player they got. The Eagles would have traded him at the end of the season and got the same return if they made the playoffs. Maybe more to a team needing a QB.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If teddy doesn't get hurt then they don't have to make a trade? They paid a fair price for the player they got. The Eagles would have traded him at the end of the season and got the same return if they made the playoffs. Maybe more to a team needing a QB.

Read the whole thread before you bring this kind of thing up...I was NOT talking about that AT ALL, so DO NOT try to steer the convo there. I made VERY CLEAR what I was talking about in my follow up!!! They have Daniel. Fisher said rookie QB's are starting because of injuries. Daniel isn't injured. Fisher is(as usual)full of crap. End of story!!!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If teddy doesn't get hurt then they don't have to make a trade? They paid a fair price for the player they got
Read the whole thread before you bring this kind of thing up...I was NOT talking about that AT ALL, so DO NOT try to steer the convo there. I made VERY CLEAR what I was talking about in my follow up!!! They have Daniel. Fisher said rookie QB's are starting because of injuries. Daniel isn't injured. Fisher is(as usual)full of crap. End of story!!!

Cougars on the rum.. Well I agree fisher is full of crap. How can he make excuses while all these rookie Qb's playing and having success and you give up how many picks for a guy that can't get on the field?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cougars on the rum.. Well I agree fisher is full of crap. How can he make excuses while all these rookie Qb's playing and having success and you give up how many picks for a guy that can't get on the field?

Here we go again...Why do you have Goff as your profile pic when all you do is CONSTANTLY rip him? Some sort of joke, right???

As long as the Rams keep winning and Keenum keeps playing well, I see NO reason to just throw Goff out on the field before he's truly comfortable taking snaps from under center, dropping back and running the O...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point he should be starting and kicking ass for what the Rams gave up to get him. Not holding a clipboard. Fisher is lucky he has a good game manager like Case that is the only thing that is keeping the bad pick hidden for now.

A bad pick??? what the HELL are you talking about??? The guy hasn't even played a DAMN game yet!!!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bad pick??? what the HELL are you talking about??? The guy hasn't even played a DAMN game yet!!!

Lol and you don't see a problem with that?? Our QB isn't a future Hall of famer

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol and you don't see a problem with that??

No, I really don't...Once I saw who we picked(even though he really wasn't the guy I wanted)and the college program he came from, I've been REALISTIC in my expectations. Can't expect a guy to learn a whole new way of playing football in such a short amount of time. It's just not possible no matter how much talent you have...

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I really don't...Once I saw who we picked(even though he really wasn't the guy I wanted)and the college program he came from, I've been REALISTIC in my expectations. Can't expect a guy to learn a whole new way of playing football in such a short amount of time. It's just not possible no matter how much talent you have...

Well I get that but that's why I don't understand why you wouldn't pick a guy that's from a prostyle offense. Especially when you don't have the coaches to coach him up. It just frustrates me. And if we we're picking number one I wouldnt be so frustrated but it's just what we gave up to move up. I just think he will be an avg Qb when it's said and done.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I get that but that's why I don't understand why you wouldn't pick a guy that's from a prostyle offense. Especially when you don't have the coaches to coach him up. It just frustrates me. And if we we're picking number one I wouldnt be so frustrated but it's just what we gave up to move up. I just think he will be an avg Qb when it's said and done.

Again, saying that he'll just be an avg QB at this point when he still hasn't played a single game or season is ridiculous...Any rational person wouldn't be this panicky, unless they had some other agenda they're trying to push...

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, saying that he'll just be an avg QB at this point when he still hasn't played a single game or season is ridiculous...Any rational person wouldn't be this panicky, unless they had some other agenda they're trying to push...

Umm we seen him in pre season and case keenum and Mannion put him in his place. Sorry not what you want to see from the #1 pick in the draft. Set down the Kool- aid and pick up the rum.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm we seen him in pre season and case keenum and Mannion put him in his place. Sorry not what you want to see from the #1 pick in the draft.

You couldn't POSSIBLY be this clueless could you??? It HAS to be an act, right??? What did I say to you earlier??? The guy is learning a whole new way of playing football...What do you NOT get about that???

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You couldn't POSSIBLY be this clueless could you??? It HAS to be an act, right??? What did I say to you earlier??? The guy is learning a whole new way of playing football...What do you NOT get about that???

What? was he playing flag football before? You don't give up what the Rams gave up for the next 2 years in the draft for a guy as you say doesn't know how to play in the NFL. That is where he is now?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? was he playing flag football before? You don't give up what the Rams gave up for the next 2 years in the draft for a guy as you say doesn't know how to play in the NFL. That is where he is now?

The more you talk, the more you confirm your BS agenda, you realize that, don't you???...Well actually, YOU probably don't...

The guy hasn't taken a snap from under center since his freshman year of HS...So yes, playing from under center is a TOTALLY different game...We have all talked about this before on the board, but you seem to conveniently forget things from the past when they currently fit your agenda...He was taken because of his raw talent, period, we ALL knew this...