• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking to buy new clubs

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a good golfer... and that is an understatement...

I do enjoy going out and i have been going more often in the past 2 years...

my clubs now are mix of no named clubs from a Used club warehouse... so it is time to get new clubs

I dont want to get a starter set, because they kind of suck...

does anyone have recommendations on what to get, and if you have clubs you like...

i am looking for a full set...

I have found a complete set of 2021 Cleveland Launcher for just under 1200... i think it is a good deal, but i really dont know anything...

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

my clubs now are mix of no named clubs from a Used club warehouse... so it is time to get new clubs

does anyone have recommendations on what to get, and if you have clubs you like...

I have found a complete set of 2021 Cleveland Launcher for just under 1200... i think it is a good deal, but i really dont know anything...
the first set I bought on my own were an older model set of Ping G5's...and I loved them. They were easy to hit and very forgiving, which was what I needed when I was less good than I am now...

I still suck, but I own a set of RSI 2s by TaylorMade.

but I still recommend Ping for a first set

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the first set I bought on my own were an older model set of Ping G5's...and I loved them. They were easy to hit and very forgiving, which was what I needed when I was less good than I am now...

I still suck, but I own a set of RSI 2s by TaylorMade.

but I still recommend Ping for a first set

id rather not get used... as i play used already... sure it will be better quality than my used... but still... you also have no clue how long a life these used clubs will have...

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id rather not get used... as i play used already... sure it will be better quality than my used... but still... you also have no clue how long a life these used clubs will have...
you might be able to find last year's models on the cheap somewhere.

I'd say go to RockBottomGolf.com and see what they have, but I can't load it for some reason

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1660053841655.png

hatcher3333

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i bought a set of Warrior clubs. Kind of a Nike look a like. Not bad for the $$$ and my 90's score game

Reactions: ill

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've played a set of Lynx Predator irons bought used in 1972. Was tired of playing the "Straight Bogey Boogie." Figured it was time to update. Heard about, read about, got fitted and copped a set of Sub70 699 irons (4>PW) with graphite shafts:

If you've not already bought those $1200 Calloways... think about the Sub70 799 - at half the price. Incredible sticks.

Last edited:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whatever you buy; make sure you get fitted.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever you buy; make sure you get fitted.

I hear that you should get fitted... but really why?? unless you are good(which I said I am not), I would rather get the best clubs I can in a certain price range...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear that you should get fitted... but really why?? unless you are good(which I said I am not), I would rather get the best clubs I can in a certain price range...
You will never get good unless you get clubs that work for you. Fitting does not cost much and you will be much happier and enjoy the game so much more with clubs that work best for you. If you are just out to hack around and have fun that's OK too.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol... did you go to the sub70 site? they've got a free, no obligations "do it yourself" fitting tool - shit's not rocket science.

My fitting suggested club length +1/2", medium grip, stiff shafts and a 1° lie (whatever in hell that is.)

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will never get good unless you get clubs that work for you. Fitting does not cost much and you will be much happier and enjoy the game so much more with clubs that work best for you. If you are just out to hack around and have fun that's OK too.
Bullshit

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You crack me up, Cletus
He doesn't even know how to swing a club yet. There is no need for him to get fitted when he is still trying to work out the mechanics of a swing.

If he gets to a place where he wants to be better, he should get fitted, but not this early in learning how to play. Waste of time and money.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people say to get fitted, but if you are a beginner with a shit swing, the fitter will probably say you need lessons first. Then you're stuck

5 years ago, I went out and bought some cobra max clubs from ebay. Loved them. Also got a handful of lessons. They are pretty good game improvement clubs.

Went to the range 3 days a week and brought my scores way down. Whatever you buy, make sure you get some hybrids. I'm still not good, but got into the mid 40s in my league play

Whatever you end up with, they arent magic. You'll still need to practice your ass off if you want to get better

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're serious about the game and won't give up I have a few suggestions.

1- get fitted for your clubs.
All clubs are not alike. and neither are humans. sounds funny but if you're a tall guy maybe 6-4 or up, don't get shafts that are too long ( USGA regulates the length ), maybe get a 1/2 shorter shaft, this will help you from lifting on your upswing,
2- Don't be sold that a set has to be a single-name brand
Pros do because they're sponsored but players that are not pros, get the clubs they hit best, ( for instance, I hit Callaway driver better than a Ping, I hit Taylor Made fairway woods better than the Callaway. )
3- Invest more in a putter than you want,
Most of your strokes on the card are putting strokes, a good putter with confidence will take strokes off your card.
4- Short game clubs, wedges
Depending on how far you hit certain clubs a good concentration on wedges is critical. Here again, most strokes on your card come from inside 100yards. Good wedges like Titleist Vokey can help. Now keep in mind that wedges unlike other clubs have a large degree of bounce and loft and are designed for you'reparticular game ( the way you hit the ball like a large divot or a small divot ). Wedges are extremely important.
If you can reach the green ( on an average 400-yard par 4 ) in 2 then maybe you may only want to buy 2 wedges ( remember your set has a pitching wedge included ) ( Jack Nickalus only carried 1 wedge PW in his bag )
If your game is less than reaching the green in 2 then think about a wedge like a 56degree, to get that last 60 yards. Lastly, when buying wedges try to space the degree levels out in increments of 4 like 54-58-62. This will give you great reach in short distances
5- Try as many brands as you need before you reach a comfortable level,
I have Pings but I don't hit them the furthest, I hit my Titleist the furthest, but the pings I have better control.
Don't let someone sell you the clubs, you buy them
6- Driver
The second most important club. If you don't get off the tee box, the rest are not going to help you the way you want. The driver will set your shots up. Get fitted for a driver and be open-minded.

To summarize, Driver and putter are key elements in a good game. Clubs( irons ) are important but they are an in-between tool,in between getting a good shot to set you up and a good short game to finish,

All brands ( irons )will feature the same statistics but those specialty clubs like Driver, Wedges, and Putter will not offer similar results, they require thought.

I've been playing for over 50 years and went from scratch to now an 8 handicap over time. Have shot under par plenty of times, average 26 putts a round but have never had a hole-in-one, GOLF is unfair, remember that

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't even know how to swing a club yet. There is no need for him to get fitted when he is still trying to work out the mechanics of a swing.

If he gets to a place where he wants to be better, he should get fitted, but not this early in learning how to play. Waste of time and money.
Fair enough