• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LMAO @ HOME COURT ADVANTAGE

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you not think it is an advantage to wake up in your own bed and go through your normal routine?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you not think it is an advantage to wake up in your own bed and go through your normal routine?

Not the same thing - dates and times please - and in fact I enjoy travelling and waking up in the mountains - in my truck, or a tent, or a motel. It's a lot of fun to wake up and see a bear

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact is that home court advantage is someting perceived, but there is no proof that is definitive of its advantage - In fact Kobe Bryant loves playing in enemy territory.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, since you wake up in your truck and that doesn't affect your ability to see a bear shit in the woods then players should be able to as well with no hindrance to their every day activities.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your stats:

Home teams in the NBA win 60%.

In the playoffs home teams win 65% of the time.

If HCA didn't matter that number would be 50% 50%.

If HCA didn't matter Vegas wouldn't move the line 3 points because of who's court it is.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is saying that the geographic location (aside from Denver) has a ton to do with the outcome or that basketball courts are different in every stadium (although the scientist in me is certain that several minor differences in each basketball court could be found).

Certainly there were for older stadiums. The old Boston Garden had dead spots on the parquet floor that affected the bounce of the ball.

How does a true Lakers fan not know it was 0.4?

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much rather my team have home-court than otherwise. It sure helped my Hawks last night. I think this season is just an outlier.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your stats:

Home teams in the NBA win 60%.

In the playoffs home teams win 65% of the time.

If HCA didn't matter that number would be 50% 50%.

If HCA didn't matter Vegas wouldn't move the line 3 points because of who's court it is.

That 60% doesn't mean it is because of home court advantage - that just means the referees are calling the game in favor of the home teams more than they do the road games. If called fairly - that number would not be so high

WORD

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HCA may be overstated but it is important, other wise nobody would play for playoff seeds.

I can just list off the things that help the home team from sleeping in their own bed and having their routines and personal chefs.

Or the plus of playing in front of your own fans. Some players may like to be booed but I bet they like to be cheered so much more.

That's my point - I said from the beginning that it does not help that much. The only thing that it does is because the ref's gives the home court more calls in their favor. A good team, however that is capable of winning a champioship knows how to play past the bad calls and still win. If your team needs homecourt advantage to win a series, then they really are not a contender most of the time.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if serious...

2 things, even if it was just the refs helping those teams to win 60% more that is still a very strong advantage.

Second, don't you think if in the entire history of the NBA refs being home bias to the tune of 60% that some body would say something?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, I will even go further and say that if a team has to have homecourt advantage to win, they are most likely 99% of the time will not win a championship. I have not seen any teams win titles without winning some of the games on the road. That's how little homecourt means scoring wise. Yes the players are a bit more comfortable at home, but that's because they are mentally weak. Champions love the challenge of the road

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 60% doesn't mean it is because of home court advantage - that just means the referees are calling the game in favor of the home teams more than they do the road games. If called fairly - that number would not be so high

WORD

:L

Let's suppose your theory is correct, that the margin is entirely due to referee calls for the home team.

How does that mean "home court advantage" doesn't exist? It just means that referee calls IS the HCA. You're winning 10% more often at home than you otherwise would, which is huge, and makes home court very valuable. If being at home makes referees call games in your favor, then that just makes being at home all the more valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's suppose your theory is correct, that the margin is due to referee calls for the home team.

How does that mean "home court advantage" doesn't exist? It just means that referee calls IS the HCA. You're winning 10% more often at home than you otherwise would, which is huge, and makes home court very valuable. If being at home makes referees call games in your favor, then that just makes being at home all the more valuable.

Personally I think the proof is in the existing data -Houston lost the first two games at home and now is winning in Portland. Where was Homecourt advantage there and how did that turn out for them?

Clippers lost the first game and then took the next two - one of them at the Warriors - How did homecourt work for them.

The referee calls is the only thing that goes in favor of the home court besides familarity and your fans and so far this year - none of that has helped the home teams - which means that homecourt is way over-rated. A good team wins on the road and advances. Now keep your eyes on the teams, and come back and let me know which teams advanced without winning on the road and won because of homecourt advantage. I think it might help some, but not that much

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not enough to make a difference anyway - just saying

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think the proof is in the existing data -Houston lost the first two games at home and now is winning in Portland. Where was Homecourt advantage there and how did that turn out for them?

Clippers lost the first game and then took the next two - one of them at the Warriors - How did homecourt work for them.

The referee calls is the only thing that goes in favor of the home court besides familarity and your fans and so far this year - none of that has helped the home teams - which means that homecourt is way over-rated. A good team wins on the road and advances. Now keep your eyes on the teams, and come back and let me know which teams advanced without winning on the road and won because of homecourt advantage. I think it might help some, but not that much

Well I can selectively pick 5 games that the home team won so there!!! Your grasp of relavent data is astonishing, please don't breed and if you for the love of humanity do not home school.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOU is winning late in the 3rd in POR...I guess your theory has been proven.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOU is winning late in the 3rd in POR...I guess your theory has been proven.

Strange though because for years I was mad as hell when the Lakers lost home court and fucked it away. There are just to many factors that affect the game for homecourt to be able to make a difference. I won't say it can't - but very little is what I am sticking with. Personally I think Portland has played poorly tonight - if they bounce back Houston is in trouble

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay, here you go: Home teams are 714-516 this season. That's a winning gap/difference of 198 games and a winning percentage of 58% at home.

The proof is indeed in the existing data.

But of course, your tiny dataset of 3 (heck, not even 3, since only 2 of those games are completed) Houston-Portland games proves HCA doesn't exist and is better than a dataset of 1230 games, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, here you go: Home teams are 714-516 this season. That's a winning gap/difference of 198 games and a winning percentage of 58% at home.

The proof is indeed in the existing data.

But of course, your tiny dataset of 3 (heck, not even 3, since only 2 of those games are completed) Houston-Portland games proves HCA doesn't exist and is better than a dataset of 1230 games, right?

It really doesn't although I have argued that Denver has existed in playoff contention because of it,but they have a huge advantage with the altitude and I noticed early this year that most teams ends up playing them on the second of a back to back situation which is something else you would have to look at. JUST BECAUSE THE NUMBERS MAKE IT LOOK THAT WAY - DOESN'T PROVE YOUR CASE. I'm sorry, but you have to look and consider some other factors like:

Is the road team on a back to back - if they are tired - you could be blaming the wrong culprit - fatigue is a big factor for teams on the road.

Teams on the road don't get to practice and get ready for their teams as much as the home team - this can affect the game.

What kind of move are the ref's are in and how they call the game - then combine it with how each team responds and adjusts to the calls

Basketball has a lot of random factors that affects the game. Homecourt may make it easier and it may even help a few teams in here and there - I said that from the beginning - but it's over-rated and it definitely is not the same in the playoffs like it is in the regular season. They play differently in the playoffs and I've seen players say that homecourt doesn't mean anything in the regular season