• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lets get this straight since it seems to bother so many...ONLY AP Champs & BCS (1960-

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been about 11 split AP/UPI titles. Those were the rules in place at the time. Do you discount everyone's or just Bama's?

It's a case by case deal. Those two claimed titles I pointed out were silly.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don't get the point. The number is made fun of precisely because it is stupid to claim a year like 1942 when the number of legitimate, undisputed titles is so high.

So Bama's claim of the 1978 AP title when they finished with the same record as USC is LEGIT. But USC's 2003 AP title when they split with LSU isn't? And you claim you don't use a random and arbitrary method of picking National Titles?

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UPI, which was a strong recognized poll, chose the NC BEFORE the bowls because they considered the bowl a reward trip so their champ was recognized. I covered this in my original post. Great game that Notre Dame won 24-23 on one play from deep in their own end zoned and the nerve to pass it out. It was a great game! That gave ND the AP title but Alabama had already won the UPI title. Legit!

What people don't seem to ever argue for Bama is being two time defending champ going into the 1966 season and starting the year #1. Notre Dame and Michigan St jumped them after week one and Alabama didn't lose a game. ND and Mich St tied YET Bama did NOT win the NC and is not on the list of 15. Why don't other fans bring up that? There was the year Bama was #3 and crushed #4 Ohio St in sugar Bowl while #5 ND beat #1 Texas and jumped all the way fro #5 to #1. Alabama didn't get that one. I never hear other fans mention this one either. Get my point? I doubt it!

Why would another fanbase argue 'Bama should claim more titles? See my point, I think so.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would another fanbase argue 'Bama should claim more titles? See my point, I think so.

I am being facetious.

fa·ce·tious
/fəˈsēSHəs/
Adjective
Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Bama's claim of the 1978 AP title when they finished with the same record as USC is LEGIT. But USC's 2003 AP title when they split with LSU isn't? And you claim you don't use a random and arbitrary method of picking National Titles?

Should we go back watch every game to see who was impressive each week or see how tough the schedule played out or see what other circumstances besides the one you listed occurred?

USC did win the AP and it was legit to me! I used AP until 1998 then BCS after that but that championship should count in their record books!

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am being facetious.

fa·ce·tious
/fəˈsēSHəs/
Adjective
Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

Right now?

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Canes got 5. Not bad. We don't claim any more than that.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we go back watch every game to see who was impressive each week or see how tough the schedule played out or see what other circumstances besides the one you listed occurred?

USC did win the AP and it was legit to me! I used AP until 1998 then BCS after that but that championship should count in their record books!

Nope, I'm not saying that the 1978 AP title by Bama was not legit. Just that an AP title is an AP title either they are legit or they aren't.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the point of this is the Gators appear to be the team of now and the future?

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It amazes me how people jump on Alabama fans for the number of National Championships they claim. There was a day, not that long ago, that the word unanimous either followed or didn't follow a teams name when saying they won whatever year's National Championship. Before 1936 there were many many media outlets that named a Champion. In 1936 the AP poll came into existence. For many years I was growing up, the UPI and the AP were both considered the two polls that mattered but the UPI named their champion before bowls for many of those years, saying a bowl was a reward to a great season and should not count toward crowning the champion. They thought some teams might take it more serious then another. Between those two polls the AP's champion, was and still is, considered a recognized National Champ. However, with the BCS surfacing in 1998 the AP took second fiddle to the BCS champion so for these purposes I'm using the following criteria:

AP National Champs since 1960....since 1970.....since 1980.....since 1990 to 1997.....1998 to present using BCS

A team needs to win at least two championships since 1960 to be listed

Since 1960:
Alabama (9)
Notre Dame (4)
Nebraska (4)
USC (4)
Miami (4)
Oklahoma (4)
Texas (3)
Florida (3)
Ohio St (2)
Penn St (2)
Florida St (2)
LSU (2)

Since 1970:
Alabama (6)
Oklahoma (4)
Nebraska (4)
Miami (3)
Notre Dame (3)
Florida (3)
Penn St (2)
Florida St (2)
LSU (2)
USC (2)
Ohio St (1)
Texas (1)

Since 1980:
Alabama (4)
Miami (3)
Florida (3)
Penn St (2)
Nebraska (2)
Oklahoma (2)
LSU (2)
Florida St (2)
Notre Dame (1)
USC (1)
Ohio St (1)
Texas (1)

Since 1990:
Alabama (4)
Florida (3)
Nebraska (2)
Miami (2)
Florida St (2)
LSU (2)
Oklahoma (1)
Ohio St (1)
USC (1)
Texas (1)
Penn St (0)
Notre Dame (0)

Since 2000:
Alabama (3)
Florida (2)
LSU (2)
Miami (1)
Ohio St (1)
Texas (1)
Oklahoma (1)
USC (1)
Penn St (0)
Notre Dame (0)
Florida St (0)
Nebraska (0)

Again, the above lists uses the AP poll only from 1960 to 1997 and then the BCS poll from 1998 to present.
I used 1960 to include the 50 somethings to the youngsters now. So for everyone who jokes about Alabama and their mythical championships please take note. Remember there were National Champions before 1960 and many champions pre-1936 through many other outlets. Those seem to be the one's joked about. Although I'm not sure why undefeated teams who took a train all the way out to The Rose Bowl and beat powerful west coast teams don't seem to count in many people's eyes. Not sure why?

Feel free to slam away or make comments about teams that should have won them certain years or strongest teams of all the above or any other comments. I bolded my team for each list so feel free to copy and bold yours. Pick a decade. I wonder if all those people's teams who bitch about Bama's championships will EVER be listed above Alabama? :noidea: Them damn Bammers! They just make up national championships! :suds: I wonder where Michigan is? I sure seem to get in back and forth's with them about this subject? :whistle:
This list implies that Miami won a NC in the '60s.... da fuq?

Also, Miami has 5 total AP titles, all after 1980.... I remember the first one very well. :L LOL

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Also, Miami has 5 total AP titles, all after 1980.... I remember the first one very well. :L LOL

I know? We claim 5 no more no less.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only BCS crystal counts in the BCS era. LMAO@ claiming an AP that wasn't BCS.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know? We claim 5 no more no less.
His list only shows you guys having won 4 total, totally inaccurate. And Miami was pretty much a doormat in the '50s, '60s and '70s.... so they did not even sniff a National Title before Schnellenberger.

Also, why not include the Coaches' Poll?

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And still clueless.

Only because you haven't bestowed your vast range of knowledge upon me. I've seen nothing in this thread that changes my opinion about the original link I posted and two titles I pointed out. If you don't respect what happens in bowl games (like the '73 title) then don't play in them. ND skipped out on them for decades.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only BCS crystal counts in the BCS era. LMAO@ claiming an AP that wasn't BCS.

Says who? The AP has been a respected and legit poll since before the inception of the BCS, still is and will continue to be once the BCS is no more!!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of all of the idiotic arguments that show up on these boards, the argument over what NC's a school claims is easily the most idiotic!!

I love all of this revisionist history bullshit where fans of one team try to tell fans of another which of their titles are or are not legit in an attempt to make themselves feel better about their team!!

Bottom line is this: if your team won an NC by a recognized organization under the rules that governed the sport at the time, it's legit!!

Example: USC has been awarded 17 National Championships, but only claims 11!! Why? Because the other 6 were awarded by organizations that were not generally recognized as part of the process!! Seems pretty simple!!