• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lets get this straight since it seems to bother so many...ONLY AP Champs & BCS (1960-

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It amazes me how people jump on Alabama fans for the number of National Championships they claim. There was a day, not that long ago, that the word unanimous either followed or didn't follow a teams name when saying they won whatever year's National Championship. Before 1936 there were many many media outlets that named a Champion. In 1936 the AP poll came into existence. For many years I was growing up, the UPI and the AP were both considered the two polls that mattered but the UPI named their champion before bowls for many of those years, saying a bowl was a reward to a great season and should not count toward crowning the champion. They thought some teams might take it more serious then another. Between those two polls the AP's champion, was and still is, considered a recognized National Champ. However, with the BCS surfacing in 1998 the AP took second fiddle to the BCS champion so for these purposes I'm using the following criteria:

AP National Champs since 1960....since 1970.....since 1980.....since 1990 to 1997.....1998 to present using BCS

A team needs to win at least two championships since 1960 to be listed

Since 1960:
Alabama (9)
Notre Dame (4)
Nebraska (4)
USC (4)
Miami (4)
Oklahoma (4)
Texas (3)
Florida (3)
Ohio St (2)
Penn St (2)
Florida St (2)
LSU (2)

Since 1970:
Alabama (6)
Oklahoma (4)
Nebraska (4)
Miami (3)
Notre Dame (3)
Florida (3)
Penn St (2)
Florida St (2)
LSU (2)
USC (2)
Ohio St (1)
Texas (1)

Since 1980:
Alabama (4)
Miami (3)
Florida (3)
Penn St (2)
Nebraska (2)
Oklahoma (2)
LSU (2)
Florida St (2)
Notre Dame (1)
USC (1)
Ohio St (1)
Texas (1)

Since 1990:
Alabama (4)
Florida (3)
Nebraska (2)
Miami (2)
Florida St (2)
LSU (2)
Oklahoma (1)
Ohio St (1)
USC (1)
Texas (1)
Penn St (0)
Notre Dame (0)

Since 2000:
Alabama (3)
Florida (2)
LSU (2)
Miami (1)
Ohio St (1)
Texas (1)
Oklahoma (1)
USC (1)
Penn St (0)
Notre Dame (0)
Florida St (0)
Nebraska (0)

Again, the above lists uses the AP poll only from 1960 to 1997 and then the BCS poll from 1998 to present.
I used 1960 to include the 50 somethings to the youngsters now. So for everyone who jokes about Alabama and their mythical championships please take note. Remember there were National Champions before 1960 and many champions pre-1936 through many other outlets. Those seem to be the one's joked about. Although I'm not sure why undefeated teams who took a train all the way out to The Rose Bowl and beat powerful west coast teams don't seem to count in many people's eyes. Not sure why?

Feel free to slam away or make comments about teams that should have won them certain years or strongest teams of all the above or any other comments. I bolded my team for each list so feel free to copy and bold yours. Pick a decade. I wonder if all those people's teams who bitch about Bama's championships will EVER be listed above Alabama? :noidea: Them damn Bammers! They just make up national championships! :suds: I wonder where Michigan is? I sure seem to get in back and forth's with them about this subject? :whistle:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kind of amazes me how many Bama fans care what fans of other teams think. :noidea:

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don't get the point. The number is made fun of precisely because it is stupid to claim a year like 1942 when the number of legitimate, undisputed titles is so high.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don't get the point. The number is made fun of precisely because it is stupid to claim a year like 1942 when the number of legitimate, undisputed titles is so high.

Will 2012 be a stupid one to claim in 30 or 40 years? Meant a hell of a lot to people today. If they're still living, I'm thinking it will still be a nice memory! Most sports I have participated in is about championships(results). I know we live in an age of participation trophies but that's not what I look at, championships! :nod:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kind of amazes me how many Bama fans care what fans of other teams think. :noidea:

If I went and looked would I find any posts from you where you debated a point with another fan? If so,why do you care what they think?

It's a message board and this come up a lot. Have to have threads to have a board and believe me I'm not really into what damn colors some team is going to wear on opening day. :L

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will 2012 be a stupid one to claim in 30 or 40 years? Meant a hell of a lot to people today. If they're still living, I'm thinking it will still be a nice memory! Most sports I have participated in is about championships(results). I know we live in an age of participation trophies but that's not what I look at, championships! :nod:

Huh? How do you compare 2012 to 1941? Are you really a Bama fan?

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I went and looked would I find any posts from you where you debated a point with another fan? If so,why do you care what they think?

It's a message board and this come up a lot. Have to have threads to have a board and believe me I'm not really into what damn colors some team is going to wear on opening day. :L

I'm sure I've had a couple back and forth's here and there but nothing like some of the new guise. It's nowhere near important enough to me to type a 150 word post to try to legitimize something to other fan bases. They're gonna think what they think and you're probably not gonna change that..... and the world keeps on spinning.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lets agree 1941 is ridiculous so lets eliminate it. To me that is the one that should not count so Alabama has 14! My point is those championships(1925, '26,'30,'34, etc.) was just as important to those fans then as 2012 is now. Excuse me that you used the one year, 1941, as an example. So in your opinion, is that the only year they shouldn't claim? If not, then you should get my point.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure I've had a couple back and forth's here and there but nothing like some of the new guise. It's nowhere near important enough to me to type a 150 word post to try to legitimize something to other fan bases. They're gonna think what they think and you're probably not gonna change that..... and the world keeps on spinning.

Yes it does but why do people think, if you write something like I did, your entire world revolves around your team, as those same people argue like hell for their teams? They then make those type accusations. If Alabama never won another NC my life would be just fine. Good job, wife, great kids, all our health, great golf game, etc! :yahoo:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes I am. Are you a fan of, oh wait, team not listed! On a college message board? :noidea: That makes sense!
:L

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Examining Notre Dame, Alabama national championships claimed - College Football - Andy Staples - SI.com
If you read the whole report there are other years (1 or 2) you can claim that would be legit yet you don't, but you claim these 2. I don't get it...

Claimed by: Alabama (9-2)
Also claimed by: Minnesota (8-0)

This one is no contest. The following two scores are all anyone needs to determine if Alabama's claim on the 1941 title is legitimate: Mississippi State 14, Alabama 0 and Vanderbilt 7, Alabama 0. In the AP Poll, which was released before the bowl games at the time, Alabama finished ranked No. 20. So how did the Crimson Tide come to claim this title? Because a man named Deke Houlgate declared them the national champs. Houlgate was a football statistician and historian who compiled rankings using a mathematical formula from the 1920s until the 1950s. Had computers or the BCS existed back then, the Houlgate rankings probably would have been one of the computer rankings used in the formula. Like the purely mathematical computer rankings used today, the Houlgate formula produced some screwy results -- but none screwier than declaring Alabama the 1941 national champion. Unlike most of the people behind the computer rankings used by the BCS, Houlgate actually revealed his formula. Houlgate's grandson explains it in this video.

Claimed by: Notre Dame (11-0) and Alabama (11-1)
Also claimed by: N/A

This one should be pretty simple, but Alabama insists on claiming it. Alabama and Notre Dame finished the regular season undefeated, setting up an epic clash between Ara's Irish and the Bear's Tide on New Year's Eve in New Orleans. The game lived up to the hype. Notre Dame, leading by one late and pinned near its own end zone, did not play it safe on third down. Coach Parseghian called a play-action pass, and quarterback Tom Clements hit Robin Weber for a 36-yard gain that got the Irish out of danger and allowed them to hold on for a 24-23 win. Both teams were otherwise undefeated. They played one another at the end of the season and Notre Dame won. This title is easy to call.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this. Their hatred and trolling is nothing more than jealousy.

Haters keep hating, Winners keep winning!

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Examining Notre Dame, Alabama national championships claimed - College Football - Andy Staples - SI.com
If you read the whole report there are other years (1 or 2) you can claim that would be legit yet you don't, but you claim these 2. I don't get it...

Claimed by: Alabama (9-2)
Also claimed by: Minnesota (8-0)

This one is no contest. The following two scores are all anyone needs to determine if Alabama's claim on the 1941 title is legitimate: Mississippi State 14, Alabama 0 and Vanderbilt 7, Alabama 0. In the AP Poll, which was released before the bowl games at the time, Alabama finished ranked No. 20. So how did the Crimson Tide come to claim this title? Because a man named Deke Houlgate declared them the national champs. Houlgate was a football statistician and historian who compiled rankings using a mathematical formula from the 1920s until the 1950s. Had computers or the BCS existed back then, the Houlgate rankings probably would have been one of the computer rankings used in the formula. Like the purely mathematical computer rankings used today, the Houlgate formula produced some screwy results -- but none screwier than declaring Alabama the 1941 national champion. Unlike most of the people behind the computer rankings used by the BCS, Houlgate actually revealed his formula. Houlgate's grandson explains it in this video.

This one should be pretty simple, but Alabama insists on claiming it. Alabama and Notre Dame finished the regular season undefeated, setting up an epic clash between Ara's Irish and the Bear's Tide on New Year's Eve in New Orleans. The game lived up to the hype. Notre Dame, leading by one late and pinned near its own end zone, did not play it safe on third down. Coach Parseghian called a play-action pass, and quarterback Tom Clements hit Robin Weber for a 36-yard gain that got the Irish out of danger and allowed them to hold on for a 24-23 win. Both teams were otherwise undefeated. They played one another at the end of the season and Notre Dame won. This title is easy to call.

There has been about 11 split AP/UPI titles. Those were the rules in place at the time. Do you discount everyone's or just Bama's?

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are some words used to describe college football fans? Passionate, fanatics, crazy, loyalty, love their teams. You get the point. Truth be told I love one team and that is The University of Alabama Crimson Tide. I don't give a shit about the others. Not a shit! Alabama would beat the hell out of everyone of them and if they couldn't I will still tell you they will. I'm not here to kiss ass and tell everyone how great their team is or uniforms look or any of that mess. That is what separates college football from other sports. It seems like on this board, you can cuss and say words like fuck, shit, damn, pussy, post naked woman use obscene gestures as avitars but if you challenge another fan from another team too hard here you usually get a "we don't do that here" from a "veteran" :L You're just trying to stir things up. Hell yea! That's college football. Now I don't mean going overboard but I started a thread about the unfairness of fast paced offenses and if rules weren't changed I had no problem with a player faking an injury. I was called a troll and the thread was ridiculous. 500 posts later is fell off. I was not promoting a player faking an injury I was promoting them changing the rules SOME to help defenses since it is all for the offenses. Not much just some but most posters didn't get it. My point is I was told on many occasions that on SportsHoopla "we don't do this." Do what? Stir up some stimulating debates or talk about how lovely uniforms look?

And I'll ask some of you. Do you really care about the majority of the other teams? I don't mean care from an opponents point of view? I mean really care?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth be told I love one team and that is The University of Alabama Crimson Tide. I don't give a shit about the others. Not a shit! Alabama would beat the hell out of everyone of them and if they couldn't I will still tell you they will. I'm not here to kiss ass and tell everyone how great their team is or uniforms look or any of that mess. That is what separates college football from other sports.

:clap:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UPI, which was a strong recognized poll, chose the NC BEFORE the bowls because they considered the bowl a reward trip so their champ was recognized. I covered this in my original post. Great game that Notre Dame won 24-23 on one play from deep in their own end zoned and the nerve to pass it out. It was a great game! That gave ND the AP title but Alabama had already won the UPI title. Legit!

What people don't seem to ever argue for Bama is being two time defending champ going into the 1966 season and starting the year #1. Notre Dame and Michigan St jumped them after week one and Alabama didn't lose a game. ND and Mich St tied YET Bama did NOT win the NC and is not on the list of 15. Why don't other fans bring up that? There was the year Bama was #3 and crushed #4 Ohio St in sugar Bowl while #5 ND beat #1 Texas and jumped all the way fro #5 to #1. Alabama didn't get that one. I never hear other fans mention this one either. Get my point? I doubt it!