• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the fun begin, CA Gov signs college athlete likeness pay bill

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I'm reading this it really won't even come into play unless the NCAA buckles. They are the ruling body and if California schools want to participate in their organization they will have to follow their rules. I don't see the NCAA buckling to just California. Now if several other States jump on board there could be a showdown.

As it stands right now I think the NCAA would just handle violators the same way they do now. If California players violate the rules they will be suspended and team wins will be vacated if it is ruled the school allowed it.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy literally skips out on his baseball team to go make more money on tv.
Well, he is now a professional, not an amateur athlete. I don’t see how that is relevant to the topic. Actually your post is counterproductive to whatever point you were trying to get across.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he is now a professional, not an amateur athlete. I don’t see how that is relevant to the topic. Actually your post is counterproductive to whatever point you were trying to get across.

Hs a hypocrite, talking about doing things for the love of the game, and who needs money.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is preventing them from competing in athletics, their state is the one who decided to make their athletes professionals instead of amateurs. They can form their own league (just imagine how bad that will be, a worse version of the P12 network)

Can they really form their own league effectively though? This is where the antitrust lawsuit would come in.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so? The NCAA is an association of colleges and the student athletes are amateurs by definition of the NCAA charter

The NCAA has lost numerous antitrust lawsuits in the past, where they have been forced to allow extra benefits. If it comes to it, this may be another.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hs a hypocrite, talking about doing things for the love of the game, and who needs money.
He is a 32 year old man who has played in professional sports for a decade and profits off of his image, as a professional. He is the opposite of a hypocrite. He lived the college life, and now he is living the professional life.

How dare you speak ill of Tim Tebow.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, does this just make the school pay for the use of the players' likeness, or does it make the schools pay the players? Cause if it is the first, I would just do what OSU does, and only sell #1 and #whatever year it is. All photos for promotions would use those numbers or some predetermined numbers, and all pictures would be of non-athletes in said uniforms.

The schools will have nothing to do with paying the players.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can they really form their own league effectively though? This is where the antitrust lawsuit would come in.
So the NFL and NBA should be banned because you can’t form a competitive league effectively??

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the NFL and NBA should be banned because you can’t form a competitive league effectively??

Let them join the NAIA.

Whoops, paid athletes are probably against their rules too.

They should get with Green Peace to sponsor the Hippie League of Paid Dope Smokers (HLPDS)

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let them join the NAIA.

Whoops, paid athletes are probably against their rules too.

They should get with Green Peace to sponsor the Hippie League of Paid Dope Smokers (HLPDS)
Honestly, they should be going after the NBA and NFL (specifically the players associations) for the age discriminatory rules that does not allow the players to jump straight to the pros from high school.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The state legislation is to blame for the issue, the state can legislate the league all the same. Therefore no antitrust issues :D

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that isn't how antitrust lawsuits work. No one is saying that the lawsuit, if successful, would "ban the NCAA".

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The state legislation is to blame for the issue, the state can legislate the league all the same. Therefore no antitrust issues :D

Not much of a legal defense on your part there.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try not to let sports get to me but this issue really grilles my cheese. I'm going to explain "exploited" to you. I enlisted into the USMC....not drafted.....enlisted. Kinda like someone signing a Letter of Intent. I got free training, free food and free clothing.....even free weapons and ammo. Kinda like a college athlete getting the same things except no weapons and ammo but a lot of free pussy which is even better. I got to hump 70 lbs through triple canopy jungle and water up to my ass with the added benefit of someone trying to kill me. Kinda NOT like getting to play a game in a safe stadium like a college athlete. My point: I wasn't "exploited" at 19 any more than these athletes are being "exploited". We all make life choices. Everyone can make a different choice (like maybe all of us could just forgo the military thing or the sports thing and focus totally on our education, which we could pay for ourselves, or getting a nice safe job at that age). /rant off

Did you not get a paycheck in the military?

#UCFacts

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the UCFormal signing of this great bill.

All students should be treated like us honors students. We could get grants, jobs, do photo shoots and get paid, get taken on trips by boosters, etc...

#UCFacts