• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ESPN All-Time All-American College Football Team

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. but. honestly, you could bring up a few more. Just like many other programs legitimately could. What about Eddie George? Are you kidding me? He was a monster of a RB......
He was a monster, but was he better than the ones mentioned?

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for fun, only one player from the HBCU's. What about Walter Payton (retired with the most points in NCAA history in three years of participation), Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Deacon Jones, Steve McNair, Joe Greene, Richard Dent?

Am sure that there are many others I don't remember.

Another guy that should be mentioned, but was not recruited heavily because of the color of his skin was Gale Sayers.

Also without quoting previous poster. Red Grange was probably the greatest college player of all time.

OrangeAfroMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting to mention HBCUs and then tout a guy who only played against white guys as the best ever.

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting to mention HBCUs and then tout a guy who only played against white guys as the best ever.

The reason that Red Grange was the greatest ever is because no player in history changed the game more than Grange.

What I was really looking for was more players from HBCU's that might deserve to be on the list. The Jackson State team that included Walter Payton sent nine players to the NFL, and they did not even win the SWAC championship. The player I just came up with is Doug Williams. Any other ideas?

Jerry Rice fell to a late first round pick, and at the time I thought he should have been the first pick in the draft. I know it's hindsight, but he was the best non-quarterback in the history of the NFL. Walter Payton was in the top five in the history of the NFL, Joe Greene was the best defensive tackle in the history of the league, you could make an argument for Deacon Jones as the best defensive end in history, and if not him, possibly Richard Dent.

My first team runing backs in the history of college football are the two best in the NFL: Walter Payton and Jim Brown.

Another guy that was forgotten, even though he only had one great season was Marcus DuPree. He was unbelievable as a freshman, but never did anyhting after. Concussed and lost his drive? He was the best college running back I ever saw even though he only had one good year.

Will also agree that the Tyler Rose was worthy of the list. Am sorry to Archie Griffin, but come on. I would rather watch Bo Jackson, OJ, or Herschel any day.

Last edited:

gotigersgo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College isn't NFL. I hate when people cite NFL stuff for all-time college teams. UN-RE-LATE-ED

Walter Payton was the all-time leading scorer in the history of d-1 football when he left Jackson State. Joe Greene and Ed Jones were drafted where they were because of what they did in COLLEGE. To say that Jerry Rice did not do anything in college is ridiculous. Rice had a record-setting 1983 campaign, including NCAA marks for receptions (102) and receiving yards (1,450), and was named a first-team Division I-AA All-American.[13] He also set a single-game NCAA record by catching 24 passes against Louisiana's Southern University.[11] As a senior in 1984, he broke his own Division I-AA records for receptions (112) and receiving yards (1,845). His 27 touchdown receptions in that 1984 season set the NCAA record for all divisions.

McNair almost won the Heisman.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since ESPN is re-writing history I'm surprised Tom Brady isn't on this list. Amazed how many think Tom Brady is the greatest Michigan QB.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmmfao. Any team without VY at QB is a joke. He’s the best cfb player of all time.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replace QB Stabauch with any one of 30 different guys....VY, Tebow, McCoy, Vick, Major Harris, Mariota, even Flutie if you like the scrambling/running QB.
Every blub on him mentions his scrambling and winning the Heisman.
Yeah, well, he played the next year after that. What did he do? 4 passing TD, 10 INT and he rushed for -1 yard on the season. Craptastic!
Let's put him on the ALL-TIME ALL-AMERICAN TEAM!!!
Tebow??? Lmao. He ran three yards and bumped into linebackers for another yard. Over and over. And couldn’t throw for shit. Why do idiots keep mentioning him??

OrangeAfroMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walter Payton was the all-time leading scorer in the history of d-1 football when he left Jackson State. Joe Greene and Ed Jones were drafted where they were because of what they did in COLLEGE. To say that Jerry Rice did not do anything in college is ridiculous. Rice had a record-setting 1983 campaign, including NCAA marks for receptions (102) and receiving yards (1,450), and was named a first-team Division I-AA All-American.[13] He also set a single-game NCAA record by catching 24 passes against Louisiana's Southern University.[11] As a senior in 1984, he broke his own Division I-AA records for receptions (112) and receiving yards (1,845). His 27 touchdown receptions in that 1984 season set the NCAA record for all divisions.

McNair almost won the Heisman.
Who did they play against? They belong on the I-AA All-Time All-American team. Respectfully.

OrangeAfroMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow??? Lmao. He ran three yards and bumped into linebackers for another yard. Over and over. And couldn’t throw for shit. Why do idiots keep mentioning him??

Ehhh, probably because he had the 2nd-highest passer rating of all time?? Just an idea.

OrangeAfroMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmmfao. Any team without VY at QB is a joke. He’s the best cfb player of all time.

Then why didn't he produce better? He may have been the best scrambler ever. Might have had the best bowl performance ever, but that's it. He's been romanticized to no end. He actually wasn't that great a passer.

But don't let what actually happened get in the way of your worship for him.

OrangeAfroMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why isn't Cooper Kupp on any all-time team, if I-AA stats should matter so much? Or the "other" Adrian Peterson? Jordan Scott? Josh Johnson?

Ohhhhhh, maybe because they're not NFL legends, that's right. My initial point stands.

OrangeAfroMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Half your video was when he was a backup and just came in to run.
If what Tebow did was so banal, why hadn't anyone done it before?
Kind of a luxury for a coach to not worry about his fragile lil QB getting hurt, huh?

Jealousy is ugly.