• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the fun begin, CA Gov signs college athlete likeness pay bill

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the UCFormal signing of this great bill.

All students should be treated like us honors students. We could get grants, jobs, do photo shoots and get paid, get taken on trips by boosters, etc...

#UCFacts
What college did Lebron attend?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you not get a paycheck in the military?

#UCFacts

These athletes don’t have to pay for school. The average person between the ages of 25 and 34 are $42,000 in debt, mostly from student loans.

These people chose to participate in college football. They get a college education, no student debt, and the ability to quit and work a job anytime they want too. Why should they be getting even more money?

Nobody cares about the left tackle for UCF or a swimmer for Stanford.

College fans aren’t showing up to games or turning on the tv to watch a specific player, they’re watching a team or a game.

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Shaggy several threads on this. Merge? In the meantime, there is an NCAA model for this. Olympic athletes have been able to profit from pretty much the same. I am aware of it, but have no expertise. Anyone out there have some or is every one in these threads talking out of their asses?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Shaggy several threads on this. Merge? In the meantime, there is an NCAA model for this. Olympic athletes have been able to profit from pretty much the same. I am aware of it, but have no expertise. Anyone out there have some or is every one in these threads talking out of their asses?

Jeremy Bloom was an interesting example in that if I recall

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF had a kicker only a few years ago that was told by the NCAA to close down his youtube site or he would be ineligible to play. He weighed his options and chose the money over his senior season. I've watched several of his vlogs and for what it is worth seems like a great kid.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was fun while it lasted. College sports will now become, which alumni have the deepest pockets willing to pay a recruit.

What I think would be great — if schools start charging scholarship athletes to use the facilities, pay for the equipment they use, the apparel they wear, the food they eat. Stop giving them housing stipends. Charge them for strength conditioning coach, charge them for the nutritionists, tutoring, etc.

What would be funny — 90% of the team would end up in debt in this scenario. But a handful of guys would make a few bucks:lol:

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was fun while it lasted. College sports will now become, which alumni have the deepest pockets willing to pay a recruit.

What I think would be great — if schools start charging scholarship athletes to use the facilities, pay for the equipment they use, the apparel they wear, the food they eat. Stop giving them housing stipends. Charge them for strength conditioning coach, charge them for the nutritionists, tutoring, etc.

What would be funny — 90% of the team would end up in debt in this scenario. But a handful of guys would make a few bucks:lol:
Meh, you guys will be fine with your bankroll in this new era.....we are probably heading back to the Big Sky. :gaah:

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one am looking forward to the next great Arkansas QB reading a script about great values from Walmart or telling you about frozen Tyson chicken nuggets after his Cowboys cameo with Jerry Jones.

Lol I've been against paying athletes for a while but interested to see how this plays out. At least it's one step closer to getting NCAA video games back?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you not get a paycheck in the military?

#UCFacts

Started at $109/month. Ended up getting $225/month. Your point? Getting shot at wasn't worth that kind of money but I wasn't there to get rich. Today it's more like $1700/month to get shot at. You're welcome to join up if you think that's a good deal.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started at $109/month. Ended up getting $225/month. Your point?
Ya, he didn't recognize the $150K in free tuition as income either. Often types before thinks, that one.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much of a legal defense on your part there.
If the state decides to make the athletes professionals then they need to get them playing in the NBA and NFL or minor leagues where paid players reside and never get on TV. The NCAA isnt changing anything the state of retardia is...they legislated retardation they can deal with it. There doesnt need to be a "defense" for antitrust when the league has existed as it is and isnt the one changing things, the state of california is that is their problem.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all the petroleum companies formed the National Petroleum Association of America (NPAA), and that association dictated that all new petroleum engineers had to work for 30k and room and board for a couple of years, you and the federal government would be dropping the metaphorical hammer on such an unamerican, unfair, illegal, laughable monopoly.
For some reason, because it's the status quo, you Fools support the N(C)AA.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking train wreck on the horizon. Lawyers gonna get rich.

jew_basic.jpg

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, you guys will be fine with your bankroll in this new era.....we are probably heading back to the Big Sky. :gaah:

No doubt — it will just cause a huge separation, as the big schools will have boosters willing to shell out cash.
UM already have boosters fighting to pay a million a year for those stupid trips Harbaugh takes the team on. I’m guessing they’d be lining up to pay for recruits once it is legal:lol:

For the SEC, it will just be business as usual.:behindsofa:

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The College football player is receiving around $125,000 in benefits per year if an out of state student.

My out of state tuition, plus expenses for my son was $75,000. Not including his insurance since he was covered under our medical and auto insurance.

What my son did not get;

Football players get free top notch medical care.
Football players receive automatic tutoring to stay eligible.
Football players receive anywhere from $400 to $800 monthly stipend.
Football players have nutritionists.
Football players have their own cafeterias to stay away from the normal student.
Football players get to travel the country.
Football players are receiving the chance to practice their craft on the big stage. Which is called BRANDING now a days.
Football players get free goodies when they go to a bowl game, PLUS another little paid vacation.

Treat the football players like a normal student, then yes, they deserve to be paid. But the average Division I college football player is coddled and babied. Make them go play at a Division II school and see if they like it? See exactly what they are worth there.

i don't think student athletes should be paid.

I do think student athletes should be able to transfer from school to school with no penalty.

When a student works on intellectual property that is being funded by the university, that gets patented by the university, that the patent is maintained by the university, that is licensed by the university, I am pretty sure the student gets the low end of the deal. They might get their name on a patent and maybe something but I doubt the checks flow in. Licensing fees on patents owned by the Universities is BIG business.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the state decides to make the athletes professionals then they need to get them playing in the NBA and NFL or minor leagues where paid players reside and never get on TV. The NCAA isnt changing anything the state of retardia is...they legislated retardation they can deal with it. There doesnt need to be a "defense" for antitrust when the league has existed as it is and isnt the one changing things, the state of california is that is their problem.

The athletes aren't being paid to play sports, even under the new law.