• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Leonard Fournette is going to be a colossal bust?

BottleWalk

Holier Than Thou
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can always find people who get something wrong in retrospect. If someone makes a lot of predictions, they'll be wrong about a good number of them even if they're very smart.

The way you know someone has no idea what they're talking about is if every prediction they make is wrong, and they still defend their picks. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, if I were I would be talking about Nick Wright, but I'm not, I promise.....

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has he been right about anything?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's certainly a major reach in reality. Bust most certainly not. What he has been able to do besides an avalanche of circumstances is pretty respectable.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's certainly a major reach in reality. Bust most certainly not. What he has been able to do besides an avalanche of circumstances is pretty respectable.
I disagree that he was even a reach. Although the jury is out, He could turn into a Trent Richardson, he has the talent to be the best back in the league. I almost wanted to take him as a bears fan because he’s such a special talent, but we had needs elsewhere. When it’s all said and done, would you take an Adrian Peterson with your first pick? That’s the level of player fournette looked like to me coming out of college.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that he was even a reach. Although the jury is out, He could turn into a Trent Richardson, he has the talent to be the best back in the league. I almost wanted to take him as a bears fan because he’s such a special talent, but we had needs elsewhere. When it’s all said and done, would you take an Adrian Peterson with your first pick? That’s the level of player fournette looked like to me coming out of college.
It's pretty close to impossible for an RB to live up to the #4 pick short of being a HOF'er like AP as the slotting makes you one of the more well paid RB's in the league anyways. It's not that Fournette isn't going to be pretty good, it's that he's not a HOF'er. Drafting Hunt or Kamara is superior value in the 3rd round by comparison even if you lose the 5th year option. Or in another instance, would one rather have had Elliot or would one prefer Ramsey? The positional value is just really out of whack for RB's right now even if we're getting a wave that's doing its damnedest to change that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty close to impossible for an RB to live up to the #4 pick short of being a HOF'er like AP as the slotting makes you one of the more well paid RB's in the league anyways. It's not that Fournette isn't going to be pretty good, it's that he's not a HOF'er. Drafting Hunt or Kamara is superior value in the 3rd round by comparison even if you lose the 5th year option. Or in another instance, would one rather have had Elliot or would one prefer Ramsey? The positional value is just really out of whack for RB's right now even if we're getting a wave that's doing its damnedest to change that.

Agreed. And you're usually only getting 7 or so years of high productivity out of a pro bowl/HOF RB whereas other positions can perform at a high level for 10+ years.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where as I totally agree, RBs are a dime a dozen, but Zeke and Fournette are future HOFers. They were can’t miss in my book. When a can’t miss RB comes out like these two, it’s worth a top 5 pick. RB is the easiest position to evaluate talent in my opinion. The downside is they could be an injury away from obscurity and their position makes them very susceptible to injury. What you find yourself asking is, is the injury risk worth the bust risk. Not every RB is Zeke or Fournette though. A lot of teams do reach at that position. And you act like Hunt and Kamara (what about Cohen!?) are sure things. They aren’t coming out of college. When an RB isn’t a sure thing, you can wait, because they are a dime a dozen. When a sure thing like Zeke, Fournette, AP, etc comes out and you don’t have a primary ball carrier, you take him. That pick becomes a weapon immediately and helps you for the next 8ish years.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where as I totally agree, RBs are a dime a dozen, but Zeke and Fournette are future HOFers. They were can’t miss in my book. When a can’t miss RB comes out like these two, it’s worth a top 5 pick. RB is the easiest position to evaluate talent in my opinion. The downside is they could be an injury away from obscurity and their position makes them very susceptible to injury. What you find yourself asking is, is the injury risk worth the bust risk. Not every RB is Zeke or Fournette though. A lot of teams do reach at that position. And you act like Hunt and Kamara (what about Cohen!?) are sure things. They aren’t coming out of college. When an RB isn’t a sure thing, you can wait, because they are a dime a dozen. When a sure thing like Zeke, Fournette, AP, etc comes out and you don’t have a primary ball carrier, you take him. That pick becomes a weapon immediately and helps you for the next 8ish years.

wth, lets not anoint them already, especially when Zeke can't even stay on the field

Good running backs yes

future HOF???? not yet

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wth, lets not anoint them already, especially when Zeke can't even stay on the field

Good running backs yes

future HOF???? not yet
Let me rephrase myself. If they stay healthy, they are future hofers. Obviously, if they keep getting hurt, they won’t be HOFers. I didn’t think I had to say that, but I guess I do.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can always find people who get something wrong in retrospect. If someone makes a lot of predictions, they'll be wrong about a good number of them even if they're very smart.

The way you know someone has no idea what they're talking about is if every prediction they make is wrong, and they still defend their picks. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, if I were I would be talking about Nick Wright, but I'm not, I promise.....
Oh god, Nick Wright was brutal out here. He just had enough dry charisma that seems to play nationally.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me rephrase myself. If they stay healthy, they are future hofers. Obviously, if they keep getting hurt, they won’t be HOFers. I didn’t think I had to say that, but I guess I do.

Fournette had health and behavior issues himself this year. I like his talent, but he has some growing up to do.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB is the easiest position to evaluate talent in my opinion.
RB is so dependent on other factors, though.

Gurley is actually the highest graded RB I've looked at in years and he still managed to have one bad year. Fournette is the best pure runner since AP but the game has evolved to be just as much about passing and thats maybe why he was riskier than Zeke who was a jack-of-all-trades coming out of college.

Fournette is an old-school bell cow. I think he has almost no chance at the HOF. I do think he was one of the safest players in the whole draft, though. You get a guy that gets the tough yards and he is built like a tank.

I just know that a team that passes all of the time (Andy Reid minds) would never draft him top 50 so he wouldn't work in every system.

RBs are only easy to evaluate when they stand out. You'll only get about 5 or 6 that are easy to evaluate every decade, imo. RBs bust like every other position.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gurley is actually the highest graded RB I've looked at in years and he still managed to have one bad year. Fournette is the best pure runner since AP but the game has evolved to be just as much about passing and thats maybe why he was riskier than Zeke who was a jack-of-all-trades coming out of college.

Fournette is an old-school bell cow. I think he has almost no chance at the HOF. I do think he was one of the safest players in the whole draft, though. You get a guy that gets the tough yards and he is built like a tank.

I just know that a team that passes all of the time (Andy Reid minds) would never draft him top 50 so he wouldn't work in every system.

RBs are only easy to evaluate when they stand out. You'll only get about 5 or 6 that are easy to evaluate every decade, imo. RBs bust like every other position.

I feel like we are in total agreement when it comes to drafting runningbacks. There are 5 or 6 can’t miss per decade. However, you quote the success of passing down backs as a reason bell cow backs are going extinct. I respond with the case of Lagarrett Blount. Blount has always been a very very talented rusher. He’s never been able to catch passes for shit, his pass blocking is subpar, he’s very one dimensional as a Power RB. However, even with his short comings, he played a very significant role on a super bowl team. Teams want that rushing capability, but they aren’t able to mask pass blocking/ receiving woes. Fournette can pass block and receive better than Blount and provide better rushing without as much offensive support. That’s worth a top pick to me. If you know you’re getting a guy that’ll bring 8 defenders in the box, it does wonders for youre passing game given a competant QB.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but Zeke and Fournette are future HOFers.
I appreciate the honesty. I don't share that kind of optimism, but I can certainly see it for Zeke if he's stays healthy. Too early with Fournette especially with his expanding history of injuries.

They were can’t miss in my book
I think that's probably where we depart some. I don't have that kind of confidence in most any pick before seeing them play in the NFL. I might have a pretty good amount of confidence in what a bust is (and probably why this guy saying he is a bust should be laughed at a bit) but a successful NFL player? Tougher call. RB might be an easier position to evaluate, but the NFL has gotten it wrong plenty of times with a great deal of frequency. David Johnson in the 3rd round? Jamaal Charles in the 3rd round? Kamara in the 3rd round? Hunt in the 3rd round? Cohens lurking in the weeds as well. T. Davis? There's just too much depth in the draft at RB to not be attracted to those guys over the uber-RB prospects if you can get 80% of what you think you can get out of Fournette, all things being equal.

What you find yourself asking is, is the injury risk worth the bust risk. Not every RB is Zeke or Fournette though

I agree, I would just contend the 2nd round or very late first is a more appropriate home for such prospects in this NFL than the top of the first where they're actually pretty expensive as RB's despite the rookie deals. Cowboys and Rams have kind of energized the old RB bubble that used to get lampooned in the analytics community, but I digress. Both of them, fortunately I would say, have gotten some damn good RB's.

And you act like Hunt and Kamara (what about Cohen!?) are sure things.

Going forward I do think both are going to be pretty darn solid I'll admit. As prospects I thought they were solid and was ok with drafting both. As prospects , I believe the risk calculus and the rookie wage scale relative to FA pay at RB make a 2nd or 3rd round RB a more palatable choice more times than not. If you pick a Gurley or Zeke, that's great. But one starts to risk ego getting in the way of good sense; what happens when you inevitably aren't right about a prospect? That's a lot of egg on the face for a hill that's not worth dying on, imo.

what about Cohen!?

I like Cohen, I just don't know what he is yet. Not sure if adds more to his repertoire at WR with Nagy there to give kind of a Tyreek Hill lite situation or closer to a Sproles. Both are fairly useful outcomes. I don't think it's quite clear what Cohen is, but it looks good either way; especially since he doesn't need to be a bellcow with Howard there.

When a sure thing like Zeke, Fournette, AP, etc comes out and you don’t have a primary ball carrier, you take him.

This is probably the crux of where we disagree. I can't get on board with a sure-thing anything let alone at RB. I would take a chance on a good CB prospect before a great RB prospect more often than not. If I had the confidence you do with evaluating RB's, I might think differently, but I don't.