• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lawmaker calls NBA soft on Crime

Is it racist?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Not sure, but it is ugly.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this case it has no impact, and you are scummier than scum to pretend otherwise.

Once again you are wrong. It does have an impact. Just because you are unaware of it does not make it non-impactful. You are stupid or a liar to pretend otherwise.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, let's discuss why Cosby would and should receive the benefit of the doubt and Pat Garofalo does not, even though he did and still fucked up...

Rebel without a clue: Pat Garofalo wants guns sold at new Vikings stadium

Pat Garofalo thinks a Vikings game is an appropriate venue to sell guns and ****.

This is what is wrong with morons like him.

They think you should be able to buy and sell guns anywhere on the planet - churches, elementary schools, wherever - then cry about crime rates going up???

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO. So let me get this right.......a player complaining about getting questioned on his practice habits is an image of thuggery and crime? REALLY?

Yes, really. It is the image that is out there. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying that it is the image that people have and it was created by the players.

And then you try to claim this is NOT racist? Seriously?

So, in your estimation, everyone who has an unfavorable image of the NBA is a racist?

You guys can come up with every excuse in the world. But the man made the statements, I didn't. He flat out stated that if you put these NBA players on the street, of which the vast majority are black, that crime would go up.

No question that he made the statements and they were stupid. However, saying something stupid doesn't make him a racist, it makes him someone who said something stupid. If you are so convinced that he is a racist, why not support it with facts by showing previous racist statements. You say he is racist because he made an ASSUMPTION based on the color of the players skin. Yet, you make the exact same ASSUMPTION based on the color of his skin.

He is directly calling them all criminals. Not some. Not a few.......he is calling them ALL CRIMINALS.

Now, the question is, WHY? The most obvious answer is, because they are black. Why do we make this assumption? Because there is NO EVIDENCE to support any other conclusion. The NBA doesn't have a problem with tons of players getting in trouble.

No one is saying that there is evidence to support his statement. What has been said is that this is the image that many people have of the NBA and it's players. It may very well be that he has the same image of NBA players that many, many other have. The NBA itself has acknowledged that they have an image problem and it's why they are spending a lot of time and money trying to change it.

So until you can change this very real bottom line, everything else you have to say is justifying the base racism that is clearly evident in this man's statement. I have no interest in Bill Cosby, or any other rationalization you try to put out there.

DEAL WITH the statement he made, and try to convince me, with logic and reason, WHY its not racist - as you've convinced yourself. Because right now, I see no evidence that it's not.

There has been plenty of logic and reason given as to why this statement doesn't necessarily have to be taken as racist. You just don't agree with it. That's fine, it's your opinion.

The difference is, I'm not speaking in absolutes like you are. I'm saying that I'm not convinced he's a racist or that it's a racist statement. You, however, are doing the exact same thing that you accuse this guy of doing.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge difference between saying that young men need to be proud and educated and present themselves accordingly than to say if the NBA shut it's doors the crime rates would skyrocket as an insinuation they are delinquents with money.

NFL actually has a higher crime rate than the US average, NBA a lot lower. The NBA has a lot more black stars, the NFL has mostly white stars and they continue to aid the white stars aka QBs. NBA shows a lot of tattoos, NFL not so much. NFL is a dangerous sport that causes permanent brain damage that the league covered up for years. The NBA is infinitely safer as a sport.

Despite all of that the NBA has an image problem and the NFL does not. Explain that.

I already did.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been plenty of logic and reason given as to why this statement doesn't necessarily have to be taken as racist. You just don't agree with it. That's fine, it's your opinion.

The difference is, I'm not speaking in absolutes like you are. I'm saying that I'm not convinced he's a racist or that it's a racist statement. You, however, are doing the exact same thing that you accuse this guy of doing.

I didn't call him a racist. I said his statement is racist, because it ABSOLUTELY IS.

He made a very direct statement. There isn't any logical path that avoids what he is actually saying without making huge leaps in logic that aren't there.

You haven't given a single rational, logical reason.......you simply don't want to conclude that it's a racist statement. That's fine, but this is why we've had so much racial trouble in this country.

Too many good people want to rationalize away racism when it happens. Instead of calling a spade a spade and dealing with it, we have people that want to make excuses for this type of behavior.

Hey, whatever floats your boat. I guess I'll get back to basketball and ignore this moronic state rep and whatever he has to say.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this article does a pretty decent job of explaining some of the difference in perception vs. reality when it comes to the NBA and it's players:

The Shadow League | Pro Athletes And The Perception Of Guns

I think this quote from Leigh Steinberg pretty well nails it:

talking to sports agent Leigh Steinberg about athlete crime from now compared to when he entered the business 40 years ago, he says this: “The truth of the matter is athletes are actually better behaved than they were when I started. They use alcohol less; they use drugs less; they’re less domestic violence, but, in the public perception there’d be more. And the reason for that is that we now have an omniscient press. We have talk radio, internet, and blogs and newspapers all dedicated to jurisprudence and athletes’ misbehavior. We’ll see the same and video or the same mention over and over and over again. It was bad enough for Michael Vick and what he did with dogs, but by the three or four weeks that passed, the average person had seen that story at least 50 times and it leads to a believe that all players do these things all the time and it’s simply not true. If you compare athletes and remember we’re including coaches, retired athletes, and present athletes. So that’s a huge base of people to look at to their non-athletic peers, I guarantee you the behavioral results of misbehavior will be much lower.”
This is what I mean by the public perception of players vs. the reality and why the statement isn't necessarily a racist statement, but rather an ignorant one.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't call him a racist. I said his statement is racist, because it ABSOLUTELY IS.

He made a very direct statement. There isn't any logical path that avoids what he is actually saying without making huge leaps in logic that aren't there.

You haven't given a single rational, logical reason.......you simply don't want to conclude that it's a racist statement. That's fine, but this is why we've had so much racial trouble in this country.

Too many good people want to rationalize away racism when it happens. Instead of calling a spade a spade and dealing with it, we have people that want to make excuses for this type of behavior.

Hey, whatever floats your boat. I guess I'll get back to basketball and ignore this moronic state rep and whatever he has to say.

And we have people that are always trying to claim racism where it doesn't necessarily exist.

I think that all moronic state reps should be ignored, which pretty much covers all of them.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already did.

The AI interview? Or poor PR? No amount of PR covers up that Vick killed dogs, Hernandez killed people, Ray Lewis aided murderers, Ray Rice beat his wife, Randy Moss ran over a police officer, OJ, Newton was caught with 213 pounds of marajuana.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AI interview? Or poor PR? No amount of PR covers up that Vick killed dogs, Hernandez killed people, Ray Lewis aided murderers, Ray Rice beat his wife, Randy Moss ran over a police officer, OJ, Newton was caught with 213 pounds of marajuana.

No, not because of the AI interview (although that doesn't help). I also further explained it (with help from Leigh Steinberg) in post #46.

What do NFL players transgressions have to do with the image of the NBA? Whether the reason is because the NFL is more popular than the NBA or whether it's because the NFL does a better job of promoting itself in a positive light, doesn't change the fact that the NBA has an image problem.

Again, I'm not saying that the guy who made the statement ISN'T a racist or that the statement isn't racist. I'm saying that I'm not convinced that it is and that he may have made his statement based on the perception that many people have of the NBA and that the NBA acknowledges and is actively trying to change.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand this image problem with the NBA. It cant be the crime rate. Was it how these players dressed? You see, America, has this "image" how the average man should look. These players, who are mostly black, didn't fit that image. Its like how Hammertime calls Beasley a thug because he had an afro. America start looking at these guys as thugs, and thats why Stern made a dress code. This politician think these guys are thugs. Nobody call the NHL full of thugs with all that fighting.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again you are wrong. It does have an impact. Just because you are unaware of it does not make it non-impactful. You are stupid or a liar to pretend otherwise.

Not surprisingly, you're full of shit. You are far shittier of a human being than anything you pretend they do could possibly make them.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand this image problem with the NBA. It cant be the crime rate. Was it how these players dressed? You see, America, has this "image" how the average man should look. These players, who are mostly black, didn't fit that image. Its like how Hammertime calls Beasley a thug because he had an afro. America start looking at these guys as thugs, and thats why Stern made a dress code. This politician think these guys are thugs. Nobody call the NHL full of thugs with all that fighting.

I agree 100%. It's all about the "image" that the general public feels public figures/celebrities should present.

I used to work with at-risk youth in a diversion program for 1st time juvenile offenders. The guy who worked with me was a former gang member. He used to tell the kids this: "You are who you hang with and you are what you dress like. It's not right, it's not fair, but it is how you will be seen. If you hang with gangbangers and/or dress like a gangbanger, you're going to be treated like a gangbanger".

In a perfect world, people would look past how some of these guys dress and speak and look at what they actually do. However, we live in a world that is far from perfect.