• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Signing Holmes To Multi Year Deal

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many thought this guy would make the draft, but never did - according to another article, he has a contract for 1.4 million, but only 100K guaranteed - so if he makes it to the NBA season he has a partially guaranteed for 545K if he makes it to Jan 10th and next year is a non-guaranteed contract so I am not sure why Holmes a 6 foot 9 inch forward thought he had a better chance with the Lakers, but he played pretty good in the summer league, and now has a chance to continue proving himself.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that pretty much encapsulates what the Lakers are doing, TLF.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that pretty much encapsulates what the Lakers are doing, TLF.
Personally - I thought it was a good signing - that's what you do in the off season - sign players and hope you get lucky. It's a good gamble with a partially guaranteed contract they have nothing to lose. Not sure why some are complaining, but we all know that the rebuilding process takes a few years when you wait as long as they did to reload.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Dumbshit - I mentioned his stats because his stats were the best coming out of the summer league - that's what teams like the Lakers do when they are looking for new talent. They give the best looking players a chance to play. The multi-year contract at this stage of the game is always a non-guaranteed contract and is always dependent on it working out. But to answer your question - yes he played better then Russell. Russell didn't play all that hot. Mitch has already acknowledged that - get a clue:L

You're citing SL and I'm the dumbshit? Please. You cited the stats to make it look like a good signing. Citing SL is worthless. Stop reading fan blogs that hype things up every time the Lakers fart and pay attention to how the league works. This signing is nothing but a dice roll.

Update: So far I haven't been able to find any specifics, but the Celtics were interested in this guy but had so many players in his position, it seemed unlikely that he would get any playing time, so he signed with the Lakers and has a partially guaranteed contract. I am betting that nothing is guaranteed until the season starts and then if he doesn't work out, the Lakers will waive him in time to sign with another team. That's usually the method of ops for the Lakers.

See?? This kind of stuff makes me question if really know what you're talking about. You make a topic about a guy to talk about how you like the signing yet you had to go digging around for more stuff to figure it out after the fact. Of course the contract is not fully guaranteed. You'd know that if you knew about roster construction and were familiar with how teams fill the backend of the roster. All teams do this. Not just the Lakers. This is nothing special in any way. He's a flyer. It's cheap cash to keep them cutable because there's very high chances guys like this don't work out. It's standard practice. That's how these deals work.

This isn't a "good" signing. It isn't a "bad" one either. It's really impossible to have a "bad" signing at this level since A) They're so cheap and B) Borderline prospects turnover so much they largely go unnoticed. You got all worked up over nothing. Holmes, and guys like him, are routinely cut before players even break a sweat in training camp yet you made a topic about it like its a thing. Just stay off the blogs and come back when the regular season starts.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're citing SL and I'm the dumbshit? Please. You cited the stats to make it look like a good signing. Citing SL is worthless. Stop reading fan blogs that hype things up every time the Lakers fart and pay attention to how the league works. This signing is nothing but a dice roll.

See?? This kind of stuff makes me question if really know what you're talking about. You make a topic about a guy to talk about how you like the signing yet you had to go digging around for more stuff to figure it out after the fact. Of course the contract is not fully guaranteed. You'd know that if you knew about roster construction and were familiar with how teams fill the backend of the roster. All teams do this. Not just the Lakers. This is nothing special in any way. He's a flyer. It's cheap cash to keep them cutable because there's very high chances guys like this don't work out. It's standard practice. That's how these deals work.

This isn't a "good" signing. It isn't a "bad" one either. It's really impossible to have a "bad" signing at this level since A) They're so cheap and B) Borderline prospects turnover so much they largely go unnoticed. You got all worked up over nothing. Holmes, and guys like him, are routinely cut before players even break a sweat in training camp yet you made a topic about it like its a thing. Just stay off the blogs and come back when the regular season starts.
It was a good signing - the Lakers have nothing to lose and everything to gain - the contract is not even guaranteed. If he gets a spot on the roster, it's a cheap contract that they can dump if they don't like what they get - That's a good thing for any team. HELLO!!!!!?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yes - I am aware that most teams do the same and yes I know what the Lakers roster looks like, but I still think it's a good signing when they get to test a player without taking risk. That's the way I roll

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just occurred to me that one of you who I will not mention by name is not smart enough to understand what I am saying so here is a point of clarification. Holmes is not a signing as a Shaq Oneal, Kobe Bryant or even Klay Thompson type of a signing. I just assumed(silly me, I should have known better) that every one knew that and already knew that a good signing at the best would be undrafted agents with a potential. In those terms and in that respect - yes it's a good signing with no risk

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good signing - the Lakers have nothing to lose and everything to gain - the contract is not even guaranteed. If he gets a spot on the roster, it's a cheap contract that they can dump if they don't like what they get - That's a good thing for any team. HELLO!!!!!?

I understand what you're trying to say. It's good because there is literally no risk involved for the Lakers. However, as wildturkey pointed out, it's just a signing that every NBA team has at this time of year.

If he is one of the 1% that actually contributes, then it will be a good signing. Until then, it's just a signing.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you're trying to say. It's good because there is literally no risk involved for the Lakers. However, as wildturkey pointed out, it's just a signing that every NBA team has at this time of year.

If he is one of the 1% that actually contributes, then it will be a good signing. Until then, it's just a signing.

I NEVER SAID IT WASN'T JUST A SIGNING YOU KNOW:L I merely pointed out that the Lakers had signed Holmes to a multi year contract he Wild Turkey made a big deal out of nothing

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played five games for Boston and three for Utah - started 8 times, averaged 12 points and 5.5 rebounds and was 15 for 15 at the free throw line, went undrafted and not sure why Boston didn't pick him up but so far I like the core of young players the Lakers have to draw from. Obviously some one is going to get cut, but Holmes so far looks better than Upshaw or Russell.

Please note - in my original post - I said I like the core of young players that the Lakers have to draw from and so far Holmes looks better than Upshaw or Russell. I never said this was anything more than just a signing:L PLEASE LEARN HOW TO READ AND COMPREHEND WHAT YOU READ.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I NEVER SAID IT WASN'T JUST A SIGNING YOU KNOW:L I merely pointed out that the Lakers had signed Holmes to a multi year contract he Wild Turkey made a big deal out of nothing

Actually you did. You said it was a "good signing."

I just assumed(silly me, I should have known better) that every one knew that and already knew that a good signing at the best would be undrafted agents with a potential. In those terms and in that respect - yes it's a good signing with no risk

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually you did. You said it was a "good signing."
I did later on but only in the terms of picking up potential talent - We already know that the quality free agents are gone. I never at any time put Holmes on the same level as a free agent like Bass or Williams and you know it. Wild Turkey is merely trying to put words in mouth that I never said. I have always kept this dude on the SAME LEVEL AS UPSHAW AND RUSSELL. The only difference here is that Russell has a guaranteed contract and is expected to work out and we won't know with Holmes. I just don't understand why the Wild got so bent out of shape over a simple thread. I never made it a big deal :noidea:

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know it's quiet in Laker land when we're discussing players who will spend most of their career in the D-League.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know it's quiet in Laker land when we're discussing players who will spend most of their career in the D-League.
LOL - If they make it that far. I have seldom seen these type of players ever really become something, but so far the only ones I have seen have been on other teams. I've not seen the Lakers get that lucky - but hey - you never know and you can always hope

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're the one that made a big deal out of it. You made a topic dedicated to an undrafted free agent listing his summer league stats and everything to bolster up his profile. And when I stated this is just a common no big deal thing, you called me a dumbshit. If you never thought it was anything other than just your common UDFA signing, you A) Wouldn't have made a separate topic for it and B) Would have agreed with me. But you didn't. You went the opposite way, touting the signing. It's obvious what happened. You saw this news on some website with some people hyping it, posted it here, and then realized it isn't anything at all. And now you're just trying to find ways to say its a good signing to save a little face. But since at this level, you don't have bad signings since the money is so low and cuttable so you can't really have good signings either. Therefore its neutral, its just a signing. If he turns into Anthony Mason, by all means brag about how LA found a diamond in the rough. But that still doesn't change the fact that right now, there's tons of guys just like him and they aren't even worth bringing up.