• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Signing Holmes To Multi Year Deal

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played five games for Boston and three for Utah - started 8 times, averaged 12 points and 5.5 rebounds and was 15 for 15 at the free throw line, went undrafted and not sure why Boston didn't pick him up but so far I like the core of young players the Lakers have to draw from. Obviously some one is going to get cut, but Holmes so far looks better than Upshaw or Russell.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're touting Summer League stats? Come on. The kid, like a few of LA's signings, is a dollar scratch off ticket. There's a low percentage they pan out, but if they do, great. If they don't, who cares, you lose nothing because there's no real risk. It's nothing to really get excited about. Upshaw is the exact same thing. These guys are out there for a reason. They're all borderline NBA prospects.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're touting Summer League stats? Come on. The kid, like a few of LA's signings, is a dollar scratch off ticket. There's a low percentage they pan out, but if they do, great. If they don't, who cares, you lose nothing because there's no real risk. It's nothing to really get excited about. Upshaw is the exact same thing. These guys are out there for a reason. They're all borderline NBA prospects.
You should learn how to read because I never said that. I'm just telling you why they signed him. Don't kill the messenger

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is sort of head-scratcher. I am not sure what the interest the Lakers have in this guy but apparently they thought he is worth the signing. Those numbers are pedestrian, not especially spectacular, but apparently the Lakers think they need more back-ups. Who knows at this juncture.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is sort of head-scratcher. I am not sure what the interest the Lakers have in this guy but apparently they thought he is worth the signing. Those numbers are pedestrian, not especially spectacular, but apparently the Lakers think they need more back-ups. Who knows at this juncture.

Meh, end of the bench guy, if that. Would be interested to know what's going on with Upshaw. If memory serves, going into training camp, they can have more than 15 players on the roster, then it becomes a matter of who can make the final cut, get relegated to the D-league or just released.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea TJF12. This maybe a roster filler for lower tiers such as the D-league because his performance statistics are not spectacular as the articles would have you believe. Indeed, the Upshaw saga has sort of become a squelched story and he may be put on the aforementioned roster just to keep somebody else from snagging him. But to be interested in Holmes as well as Javale McGee and then bring in a number of guards through try-outs seems a bit confusing when the 15-man roster is pretty much set and the D-league roster is relatively set as well.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scanning the 15-man roster indicates we are top heavy with PFs-Nance, Kelly, Bass, and Randle. We are probably going to carry three centers like last year so I doubt Sacre is going anywhere. We have one SF in Anthony Brown. Perhaps Holmes was signed to add to that position.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scanning the 15-man roster indicates we are top heavy with PFs-Nance, Kelly, Bass, and Randle. We are probably going to carry three centers like last year so I doubt Sacre is going anywhere. We have one SF in Anthony Brown. Perhaps Holmes was signed to add to that position.

I think Kobe and Swaggy will play some heavy SF minutes, with Brown getting 10 minutes a game or so until one of the others gets injured (hopefully not) or he proves himself!

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers usually sign undrafted contracts for the preseason and let them practice for the duration to see if any one sticks. Half of them will get cut but Holmes and Upshaw in my opinion have the best chances out of all of the others that don't have guaranteed contracts

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there are the new try-outs at guard the Lakers have interest in such as Bobby Brown and sech.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should learn how to read because I never said that. I'm just telling you why they signed him. Don't kill the messenger

So you mentioned his useless SL stats and how you think he's played better than Russell for the heck of it? They signed him because he's a cheap 4/5 that can maybe fill the backend of the roster. That's it. Teams take flyers on these guys all the time. Like 1% ever turn out to be anything.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea TJF12. This maybe a roster filler for lower tiers such as the D-league because his performance statistics are not spectacular as the articles would have you believe. Indeed, the Upshaw saga has sort of become a squelched story and he may be put on the aforementioned roster just to keep somebody else from snagging him. But to be interested in Holmes as well as Javale McGee and then bring in a number of guards through try-outs seems a bit confusing when the 15-man roster is pretty much set and the D-league roster is relatively set as well.

These type of signings are pretty much roster fodder. Like wildturkey pointed out, teams take fliers on guys like this every year. Every once in awhile, they'll uncover a Whiteside or a Jeremy Lin. Or they'll find a guy to stash in the D-league or overseas. But the vast majority of the time, they're released at some point during training camp and never heard from again.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,081.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure back in my prime.....I could have put up 8-10ppg and around 4-5apg in some summer league action.

I coulda been a contender!!!

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,081.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously.....we're thin at SF and from what I've read.....he's a forward.

He will see action as a backup SF.....if he makes it through Scott's boot camp.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,081.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Brown and Young are the only players on the roster listed as SF's. Holmes is 6-8 and 240 pounds, he gives them a little more size at SF than Kobe and Young. I expect Holmes and Brown to get some burn at SF if they make the final cuts. This season is about the kids and who will be worth keeping for the future.

And when Kobe retires after this season (as most expect he will) they can go after a few veterans to bring in and mentor the kiddy corps.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know DJ. Kobe has been dropping subtle hints that if the Lakers become good enough to make the playoffs, Kobe may forego retirement.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure back in my prime.....I could have put up 8-10ppg and around 4-5apg in some summer league action.

I coulda been a contender!!!

Forget your prime. Sounds like you could make the Sixers right now.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,081.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know DJ. Kobe has been dropping subtle hints that if the Lakers become good enough to make the playoffs, Kobe may forego retirement.

That shouldn't worry anybody. This team may win 33-35 games (if Kobe plays at least 60 games) but that isn't good enough to make the playoffs. And I can't see them winning any more than 35 games, max.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you mentioned his useless SL stats and how you think he's played better than Russell for the heck of it? They signed him because he's a cheap 4/5 that can maybe fill the backend of the roster. That's it. Teams take flyers on these guys all the time. Like 1% ever turn out to be anything.
Hey Dumbshit - I mentioned his stats because his stats were the best coming out of the summer league - that's what teams like the Lakers do when they are looking for new talent. They give the best looking players a chance to play. The multi-year contract at this stage of the game is always a non-guaranteed contract and is always dependent on it working out. But to answer your question - yes he played better then Russell. Russell didn't play all that hot. Mitch has already acknowledged that - get a clue:L

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update: So far I haven't been able to find any specifics, but the Celtics were interested in this guy but had so many players in his position, it seemed unlikely that he would get any playing time, so he signed with the Lakers and has a partially guaranteed contract. I am betting that nothing is guaranteed until the season starts and then if he doesn't work out, the Lakers will waive him in time to sign with another team. That's usually the method of ops for the Lakers.